1. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That would be fine for tablets, but if you consider that most people with Win8 have a PC, which has no button below the screen, then this is a terrible idea (I don't count the keyboard, since that's not the same).

In addition, everyone else in the PC and mobile market already knew what MS is now learning...that one interface is not suitable for all devices. Think about why Apple didn't put OS X on iPads or iOS on a Mac. Ditto for Google with Chrome OS (if you can count it...small user base) and Android.

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    Programming on a typewriter? :P

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Barring MS basically taking the XBMC idea and running with it, something that seems unlikely given they have had the chance for years and years at this point, if you ever catch me with a windows8 TV then tell me I have failed. Obvious exception if it happens to be a better screen but I am not betting on that happening.

4. vbkun

vbkun Member
    Newcomer

Brazil

Agree with you, one interface doesn't fit all, was just saying to why I think they done it (and had just realized it).

In a certain way the whole metro was a "peak into future interface for desktops" they failed miserable thou because "ow wait... that future isn't here yet o.O", for example, start buttons bellow all screens.

As I noticed from day 1 with windows 8 they missed interface "conditions", such as:

"ok this is windows pro, there is a start button bellow screen = hide start button | else 'show f**** start button'"

"ok user is using a mouse and right clicked.... pop up menu 'not' stupid ribbon at bottom of screen"

5. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Chile
    I guess I'll be the only one skipping this update.

6. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They should of just called the damn thing Windows 9, and ditched 8 as the worst OS ever created.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    It was easy enough to make something more than functional out of contemporary hardware and windows 8. Now it was a few years back and I had a few less skills but I even today I think I would struggle to do a good windows ME or good vista install on what would then have been contemporary hardware (give or take the windows server version that went along with vista, that is not bad), in ME's case I would probably struggle to get it working well on whatever the best hardware had drivers for ME ever was.

8. Lestworth

Lestworth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You mean windows realized that touchscreen tower computers are not a majority in everyones houses

WHO KNEW!!! =O!!!

osirisjem likes this.
  9. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Funny that you should mention it because I started practicing Dvorak last week lol, it's still a bit awkward but I can see why this is considered a much better system because the vowel and punctuation placement just makes so much more sense.

10. JPhantom

JPhantom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    2nd apex well most studies i've seen show little to no difference in typing speed based on layout including with completely random layouts

and to arras and twilinx yes qwerty was developed on typewriters but the layout of many of the keys outside the letters and numbers was in relative flux from 1898 till the computer age. in fact for sometime there was no semicolon you printed a colon and a comma in the same spot and no 0 or 1 keys. the rest of the qwerty layout we see commonly including most of the punctuation was pretty much up to the keyboard producers as there was not anything that could be argued as a standard really as it varied from typewriter to typewriter. so yes when we got the layout we see today was because the first computer keyboard users were frequently programming in languages that ended statements with semicolons

11. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    I think windows 8 is the most disgusting abomination of an OS.
    I cringe when i hear people saying they won't be "upgrading" to windows 8 as if it could even be considered an upgrade from windows XP.
    That was just me venting some pent up emotions.

Its sad that Microsoft have created an desktop OS worse than the ones they made 10 years ago and at this rate it will take 10 years for them to make it better than windows 7.

EDIT: Yeah, i went a bit overboard here, windows 8 gets me all emotional :cry:

12. RiPPn

RiPPn Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    It's not the crying on the internet getting the changes, it's the lack of sales. Just like the Xbox One, Microsoft likes to make people think they are listening to their customers, but what they are listening to is the money, or lack thereof.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Are the two really mutually exclusive RiPPn?

14. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Canada
    This.

Anyone with two brain cells could have predicted that getting rid of the start menu was going to be a failure.
    And to force it on people ?
    It's like Microsoft isn't even trying.
    /facepalm

15. DTGS

DTGS Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Microsoft should've just been like.. "Don't like our changes? Well suck it up."

16. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Microsoft only brought back the start button, not start menu. There is a fundamental difference. Also, the start menu is friendlier to power users and computing veterans... The umpteen billion Linux distros would not have been doing their best to ape this system if it wasn't effective and seen as valuable. The only company who has abstained from anything resembling what we know as the Start Menu, is Apple.

17. Zeliga

Zeliga One step closer.

Finally! I have been waiting for this for like.. 4-5 weeks ago.

18. DillPo313
    This message by DillPo313 has been removed from public view by Depravo, Apr 6, 2014, Reason: Off topic. ~Dep.
    Apr 5, 2014 Show
  19. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    im going to upgrade my laptop to windows 7. i really wanted to give 8 a fair chance this 2nd time. i couldn't do it. even with a start menu it sucks balls.

20. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No start menu still?! Shit, microsoft better forget the OS business.

21. Sterling

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I became a "power user" because Windows 8 sucked so much... On my own machines. When it comes to actually working on these machines, finding what programs the customer does and doesn't have becomes a nightmare. In fact, Windows 8 in its entirety is a gigantic tech nightmare. I can't even get an 8.1 ISO to used the integrated refresh in an upgraded windows 8 machine. That, and actually getting to the boot order or BIOS consistently now requires getting to Start Up Repair and waiting (shut down 3 times and wait, or have intimate knowledge on every machine's manufacturer hotkey).

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Microsoft, Windows, Bring