Hacking MicroSD USB 2.0 xp requests driver!?

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
arctic flame, yet it reports it as a USB Reader and asks for a driver

it reported my phone as a sony phone and requested a driver.

difference, with the phone I had a driver.

I posted the device ID earlier btw.

soggychicken

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You mentioned that you slipstreamed SP2 into your install CD. Did you by any chance do this through one of those programs that offer to cut out extra stuff from the install CD? I used one of these to make a "lite" version of the XP cd, and it gives me problems sometimes when I try to install hardware. If you have the regular version maybe you can try a repair install of XP? (remember to backup your important data first)

Windows XP with SP2 should be able to detect the USB adapter automatically. All you should need to do is plug it in and it'll find the drivers by itself.

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's just in my usual experience with broken usb hardware you get the driver request, you install the driver, and instead of joy it's still not working...

I'm missing this verification here and that's why I have a hard time giving up.
the fact that there's no where to get a different usb reader before having to gift wrap the R4 is another reason, I just hate to put it there without anything on it for her to try out.

It was a pain to get this thing in the first place.
frown.gif

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
stupid me

well it's not the microSD card itself anyway.

I just verified it works..
I just remembered I had the camera at my place, it uses SD cards, just shot a few photographs using the SD adapter that cae with the R4.

just hooked up the camera and upped the photo's to my pc.

Ill see if I can use the camera as the medium to ready the card for christmas.

still if anyone has any other idea then faulty hardware for the usb reader please, it's worth a try.

woof811

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
is there a friend or neighbour nearby that has a pc you could try ?

could be the usb reader you have is faulty or just your pc throwing a wobbler .

or do you have any other micro sd memory you could try just in case it could be your memory ?

not sure what else you could try !

woof811.
nds.gif

sounds like a faulty usb reader to me though matey .

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks woof,

must be quirky timing, I just verified the microSD card itself is working properly so must be the stick, or maybe there is an obscure driver somewhere that might help, im not betting on it.

ill see if the camera allows me to use it as the medium

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, too used to dealing with people who have no idea what VID and PID are
laugh.gif
You can see how the relevance of that info is essentially being ignored in the thread so far, no?

Using the ID codes, I come up with this:
http://bbs.mydigit.cn/simple/index.php?t12555.html
05e3 = Genesys Logic, Inc.
---0715 = USB 2.0 microSD Reader

Not seeing any Genesys drivers though, as it should be auto recognized as a standard mass interface. The site regarding their controller chip specs can be found here:
http://www.genesyslogic.com/product.php?classid=1

Do you by chance have a live linux distro kicking around that you could try the reader under? Even damn small linux should be fine to make sure it's not your XP/OS that is the issue.

edit:/
this thread also offers some suggestions, apparently there was some sort of faulty Genesys related updated pushed into XP last year some time... maybe you are seeing some of the fallout from that still.
http://forums.hexus.net/mesh-care-hexus-cu...lost-touch.html
This being the more promising one if you haven't tried it already.
QUOTE said:
In detail - double click the Genesys USB Mass Storage Device -> Driver tab ->
Update Driver -> "No, not this time" -> Install from list or specific location (Advanced) -> Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install ->
"USB Mass Storage Device" -> Next, etc...

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks cory,
smile.gif

I found the complete info on the hardware inside the stick yesterday too with the PID
the maker I found which is missing from "USB 2.0 MicroSD Reader" is A-Data. (or genesys depends on where you check the number :s)

It didn't help me much as it's advertised as works without driver in xp.
smile.gif
but they are probably right and the reader is bad.
Luckily the card itself works fine.
I put on the system files and a few roms to test when my sis opens the package, using a camera as the reader
smile.gif

the problem with the camera is it's 8mb internal memory but it seems it likes to fill up the memory cards before touching it so I hope it will work tonight
smile.gif

actually I do have a virtual linux box I use for browser testing (webdesign) I think it accesses my host's usb as it's own.
I could try.

I have seen that thread will read it again today, got a bit tired after a while yesterday. who knows:)

if not the camera will have to do as the reader for the moment if everything checks out testing it tonight untill I can get a better reader.

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did you read the whole thread?
It's explained why I will get one and it's explained why I can not right now, it's also explained why this advice is not of much use to me right now.

I've built this pc, I build websites, I do graphics, I game and I write the odd snippet of code... I'm sure I can decide when I can get a new reader ....
dry.gif

But seriously thanks everyone, I guess there's nothing left then wait for christmas to pass so I can get a diff reader.
Maybe ill get yours reym
wink.gif

Edit -Case Closed-

Thanks for all the well meant advice, sorry for being sarcastic and annoyed at times.
If i could have gotten another reader (shops are closed for holidays here) on such short notice I would have given up sooner.
I'm off to gift wrap the R4 for tonight so I can't try anything anymore from this point on.
I've put everything on the r4 including a few things for her to try using the camera as the reader for the microSD, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone.

ps. I'll try and hang around, be of some help to someone else
smile.gif

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cameras generally bypass/shut down the internal memory when external is added. Being battery powered and all.

AFAIK the likes of A-DATA buy their controllers from the likes of Genesys instead of making their own. Either way it's supposed to be a "no-driver required" install because XP has what should be a matching generic driver (though if something goes wrong it may not match up to know drivers properly) - did you try forcing the windows generic USB mass driver on it anyway? I'm curious what the results were, because either it would have worked or you would have found out your slipstream xp isn't what it's cracked up to be when you couldn't locate the driver in the full list (I've ditched my own slipstreams before because they have mismatched files.)

Also, I suggested a live disk so your PC boots linux natively, wrather than running it in a VM - to take your OS install completely out of the equation. Preferably a more recent kernel (hence the DSL recommendation, since it's a nice tiny download/burn.)

My previous advice still stands, I haven't had one of the readers that shipped with the R4's work reliably yet, though they have all indeed worked. Can't say I've come across that particular one though, others seem to believe it is a good reader.

Any rate, have a good Christmas
wink.gif

jumail

Trophies
XP
Country
i will tell you one thing about that USB. IT DON'T WORK!!!! For me, i got a error saying "device not recognized" but either way, it dosn't work!

Sorry to tell you
cry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo