Hacking MicroSD Performance tests on Flashcards

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello All

I just wanted to write a bit about MicroSD performances on different Flashcards. I'm currently doing a comparison between different flashcards and one of the comparisons are microSD and microSDHC performances. I've been playing around with the flashcards that are in my posession so far and I've noticed different performances between different flashcards and microSD(HC)

MicroSD:
Sandisk 2GB
A-Data 2GB

MicroSDHC:
A-Data 4GB Class 6
(Sandisk 6gb)
(Kingston 2gb)
(Kingston 1gb)

FlashCards involved:
R4/Simply
M3 DS Real
CycloDS v3
(TopToy Flashcard)
(to be added Ezflash V)
(SuperCard One)

(Bracket items will be added to the test once they arrive)

Roms to test: (mainly chose these roms because I frequently play them often and know them well)
Jump! Ultimate Stars (in game menu speed test)
Castlevania (both games video tests)
Mario Kart DS

So just toying around with things, I've noticed a huge difference in one particular game Jump! Ultimate Stars. I use this game as a standard when testing performance of the card along with Castlevania and a few other games.

Here are my findings when I use the game Jump! Ultimate Stars (use this game a lot as I love this game and notice the smallest differences if there are any lol)

R4/M3 Flashcard: Rom: Jump Ultimate Stars!: Menu Speed Test
A-Data 2gb: Normal
Sandisk 2gb: Normal

M3 DS Real: Rom: Jump Ultimate Stars!: Menu Speed Test
A-Data 2gb: Slow
Sandisk 2gb: Slow
A-Data 4gb Class6: Normal

CycloDS Evolution Black: Rom: Jump Ultimate Stars!: Menu Speed Test
A-Data 2gb: Fast
Sandisk 2gb: N/A (forgot and I don't have the Sandisk 2gb atm but it is Normal or Faster)
A-Data 4gb Class6: Normal

So here are my questions and conclusions based on my microSD tests.

R4/Simply:
Great card doesn't seem affected at all by the type of microSD is uses. Menu scrolls very well and games run fine compared to the other flashcards I own at the moment. Still my most favorite and simple to use flashcard.

M3 DS Real:
Great card but to my understanding you'll need a MicroSDHC in order to avoid the lag in the Jump! Ultimate Stars Deck Menu. Scolling and browsing on the MicroSD is a big laggy and slow where as the MicroSDHC is pretty normal and lag isn't noticeable at all.

CycloDS Evolution Black:
I have to be honest when using the A-Data 2gb MicroSD the menu and scrolling was blazingly fast and responsive. It felt smooth and nice, I didn't have to wait while scrolling to the bottom of my deck (which id deck 50 btw) it was really good. So when I bought the A-Data 4gb microSDHC card I thought man its gonna be even faster cuz this is a better card. I thought wrong. Once I stuck the 4gb MicroSDHC card in, the speed slipped a notch and was reduced to normal speed same as the R4 and M3 DS Real. Odd that it would be slower then the 2gb A-Data card? Opposite of the M3 DS Real.

Edit: After more testing (I was having a hard time choosing my primary card lol reason being the 2gb performed better but at the same time the 4gb card had twice as much space). Anyways I did more testing and results, the A-Data 2GB MicroSD is slightly faster, you'll have to really really really carefully look at it than the 4GB A-Data MicroSD. So it's pretty much on par unless you are anal like myself lol.

New Conclusion for CycloDS Evo: It works well with all cards I have at the moment, I'll do further testing once I get my other MicroSD cards in so an official review and comparison will come later.

Anyways thats my finding.... wondering if anyone else can add to my findings and explain anything?

Biggest question is performance of the 2gb A-Data card running better on the CycloDS then the 4gb A-data card.
And its the opposite with the M3 DS Real where the 4gb runs faster than the 2gb A-Data.

I will be posting up my tests results later once my flashcards and microSDHC cards arrive for a full picture. These tests are going to go into more details on issues that people either don't really care about or have never thought about lol.

It will focus on things such as build quality and will go into extreme detail. Game compatibility, ease of use... I'll think of stuff but this comparison I'm planning will have answers to questions you probably never would have thought about.

Jimmy

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
golden@

Care to share your results?

I was really thinking of getting an AceKard but held off due to it not being widely available. It's an attractive piece of hardware but wish that it was more widely available.

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you experience any freezing or other issues with the 4GB SDHC A-Data (especially on Castlevania) in combination with the CycloDS?

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Avenger@

I've had no problem what so ever with Both Castlevania games on the DS with the CycloDS Evo.

I haven't had a lot of time to test them out but I did give at least 20mins per game to see how things went.

I'm going to do further testing to see if there are any issues though but so far they're fine no problems at all.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks a lot for this! So SDHC actually is much faster on the M3 Real, huh? Nice, I think I'll get one then.

Could you test if an SDHC-card lags with Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam? And if Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin crashes?

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Avenger@

I've had no problem what so ever with Both Castlevania games on the DS with the CycloDS Evo.

I haven't had a lot of time to test them out but I did give at least 20mins per game to see how things went.

I'm going to do further testing to see if there are any issues though but so far they're fine no problems at all.
Thanks for the confirmation, that is good to hear. A-Data was the only 4gb brand I could find, so I hope it works as well as everyone says
smile.gif

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot for this! So SDHC actually is much faster on the M3 Real, huh? Nice, I think I'll get one then.

Could you test if an SDHC-card lags with Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam? And if Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin crashes?

Sure I'll do that, I've tested the game using the A-Data 2GB card and same results, there are slowdowns in the game. There were previous problems with Downhill Jam on the Simply and R4 as well.

Oh BTW I've had crashes on Portraits of Ruins on the Simply and R4 before, it wasn't due to the card but the actual rom dump. I re-downloaded the game from another site and it worked well no crashes or freezing. I usually would experience crashes when I tried saving the game it would just freeze there.

I'll test out Downhill Jam in just a few minutes and let you know.

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Avenger@

Thanks for the confirmation, that is good to hear. A-Data was the only 4gb brand I could find, so I hope it works as well as everyone says
smile.gif

A-Data is a great card, not only that but its class 6 which is better then those Sandisk cards that are available at the moment. I've always trusted A-Data and it hasn't failed me yet.

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Requested Tests:

QuickTest = Short Test period
Extensive Testing = Long Test period
(trim) = game has been trimmed
U= North American Version

Game: Castlevania POR U (trim)
FlashCard: M3 DS Real
Memory: A-Data 4gb MicroSDHC
Test Type: QuickTest

No Freezing played through for 10 minutes watched intro and all that. I'll provide more info once I test things further.

Game: Tony Hawk Downhill Jam U

Used Quick Race, San Fransisco circuit
Lag Rating = 4.6/5

Conclusion: Game very playable and only lags a slight bit compared to using the regular MicroSD HC. Lag is hardly noticeable. (Don't focus on the lag and you'll be very happy)

I've added this game back to my microSDHC due to the performance change. (took it off originally due to unplayable lag)

Memory: A-Data 2gb MicroSD

Lag Rating = 2.7/5

Conclusion:
Unplayable due to lag, no fun at all.

FlashCard: CycloDS Evolution

Lag Rating = 4.6/5

Conclusion: Game very playable and only lags a slight bit compared to using the regular MicroSD HC. Lag is hardly noticeable. (Don't focus on the lag and you'll be very happy)

I've added this game back to my microSDHC due to the performance change. (took it off originally due to unplayable lag)

FlashCard: CycloDS Evolution

Lag Rating = 2.7/5

Conclusion:

FlashCard: R4/Simply

Lag Rating = 2.7/5

Conclusion:

There you have it quicktested the two games and they work great with the new A-Data 4gb MicroSDHC. Finally can enjoy Downhill Jam
biggrin.gif

bitrunner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing that the 4GB SDHC A-Data card is a Class 6 device, and as such can transfer at speeds at or above 6MB/s, whereas your other cards are Class 2 (2MB/s) or 4 (4MB/s). This is why you would see much less latency within your games with this type of media.

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is a class 6. I should have included this info from the start. I assumed people knew A-Data MicroSDHC cards were class 6.

Once my Sandisk 6gb class 4 arrives I will do the test again and see if its due to the high speed or the different memory format.

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just bought a 2GB Sandisk (the normal mobile phone quality) for 17 Euros. Was even cheaper than 1GB japanese Dane-Elec card I bought when I got the R4 and a 1GB Kingston I was gonna buy for my wife's phone.

Testing it showed the R4 would simply play both Castlevanias on the Sandisk 2GB card. So now my wife gets the 1GB Dane-Elec card instead...
biggrin.gif

Will post back if the Sandisk shows signs of crashing. -> see below: added an HDtach entry to the wiki and reported the speed in the later post...

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oops I just realized I didn't include the A-Data 4gb to the list of microSDHC I've been using... sorry error on my part I will fix this in a second.

This is just a small sample test. I will do some extensive tests later to once I have everything in. It will be more detailed.

The games that were tested were requested by a user here, thats why I posted up the info now.

Once my other MicroSDHC arrives I'll do more comparisons.

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just used HDtach 3.0 on my Sandisk Mobile: 10.9 burst speed and random access of 1.0ms. Figured I could try now since I'm no longer using the R4 USBstick but a seperatelt bought cardreader. Added the result to the wiki:
GBAtemp wiki - memory speedtest

Will try my old Dane-elec 1GB once my wife isn't using her phone...
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: