Hardware Microphone Buzzing when switch is Docked.

ToneLoco77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wondering if anyone can help me out here, nintendo support was no help at all. My sons switch (when docked) makes a loud buzzing noise in the background when the microphone is open while playing Fortnite. If he mutes his microphone the noise goes away, if he undocks the switch the noise goes away. This is happening with both a USB headset and a 3.5mm headset. Normally he plays in handheld mode, but he broke a joycon and we are waiting for the replacement so he has to play docked right now.

I have seen other places online that a "Ground Loop Noise Isolator" will stop the noise, but that is only for the 3.5mm jack. I also read where someone docked their switch on another dock and the noise also stopped. I was wondering if anyone might have a solution? I am using the OEM Dock and power adapter. I assume there is some sort of interference going on with the power adapter or the dock itself.

ToneLoco77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has to do with grounding of the whole installation. I face the same problems because I have no ground on my power lines (old house). I use special electric sockets that have a special filter in there to prevent this from happening.
My house does not have grounded plugs either, built in 1932. That product will not work for me, but I'm assuming I need some sort of grounded power strip?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This has to do with grounding of the whole installation. I face the same problems because I have no ground on my power lines (old house). I use special electric sockets that have a special filter in there to prevent this from happening.

https://www.amazon.nl/Belkin-Bsv804...ocphy=1010451&hvtargid=pla-423191257181&psc=1
The Switch power adapter doesn't have ground anyways, so it doesn't matter if the sockets are grounded.
Also, surge protectors are for a completely different use case. I can't read the page so maybe it has additional functionality, but if it's just a basic surge protector, it's not doing anything to help the issue.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: ds34

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The strip does indeed state that there is no ground. HOWEVER: the surge protector makes the difference for me. It prevents the humming noise.

D

Deleted User

The Switch is doing that in general. Even when just connecting a pair of headphones you can hear the buzzing depending on CPU/GPU load.
A thing that helped me was to change the "limit the max volume" setting in the device settings.

ds34

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I never had this issue before. didn't had it with very sensitive IEMs nor with normal headphones.
weird.
is it possible that the audio port on your switch got bent or something?

ToneLoco77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never had this issue before. didn't had it with very sensitive IEMs nor with normal headphones.
weird.
is it possible that the audio port on your switch got bent or something?
I wouldn't think it is the audio port as it also happens when using USB headsets. I'm thinking maybe a dock issue of some sort. Saw one person who's problem went away when they docked the switch on a different dock. Sadly I don't have that option.

xnstr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey !

I finally figured out a solution ... if you still need it, that is .

I actually found out it was a problem with the HDMI .

I didn't change the HDMI cable , all I did was take it out of my monitor and plugged it back in, and it worked .

Hopefully this works for you and others , but if it doesn't... try using a different HDMI cable and seeing if that works .

I have no other suggestions though, and I wish you all luck .

Have a good day !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?