Hardware Micro SD 400GB Full Format question

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ive been doing a Full format for my 400gb micro sd card for roughly 20 hours now as I was having issues with corruption during switch game.. It's taking far too long to format however is this normal? It's an Official Sandisk 400gb Micro Sd card so it isn't fake.
It's definitely formatting im just sorta confused as to why this would take so long?
I plan to quick format it to FAT32 after the initial full format.

IMG_20191130_134504.jpg

D

Deleted User

Nothing wrong you just chose full format because you didn’t know not to. Quick format was the correct choice. Since you want to use fat32 i would just cancel it and download fat32formatter gui.exe. I am sure after this experience you will understand why it is quick format by default.

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nothing wrong you just chose full format because you didn’t know not to. Quick format was the correct choice. Since you want to use fat32 i would just cancel it and download fat32formatter gui.exe. I am sure after this experience you will understand why it is quick format by default.

I've done quick format a couple times and it hasn't fixed the issues where games randomly crash and software closes. I figured a full format should do the job.
Should I just cancel the full format or just finish it up and then do a full format on Guiformat?
Or would you recommend just a regular quick format?

chillyshackk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Full format of an hdd can take hours, so a 400gb micro sd card will probably take forever.

Now if you get corruption or save issues past a certain point on your card it could be failing or it could be a fake micro sd card, if you bought it online it is well known that you an get fake micro sd cards that report a certain size but are actually way smaller, I bought a 256gb from ebay (yeah I know, it was cheap and I said meh why not), it was packaged with a sealed plastic, a pretty convincing brand logo and everything, it looked just like what you would get from a store, then once I would go over 16gb on the card it would fail to write files on it. No idea if you can verify that though other than see it fail repeatedly.

But then again if you got that far during a full format chances are that it only takes forever and if it keeps failing it might just be the card failing for some reason.

Reactions: Rahkeesh

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I complete format would fix it but if u don’t want to go thought that then try this

open cmd as admin
diskpart
list disk (Id the sd card)
Select disk x (x = disk number)
Clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs
assign
Exit

then use format32 gui to format faat32

Last edited by pcwizard7,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because something has official-looking packaging doesn't mean its official. The current Sandisk fakes are pretty good and can get into the "ships and sold by amazon" inventory depending upon your location. Unless you use a software tool to verify you can't be certain.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
h2testw is a very good way to test to see if the SD card has fake capacity or not, however can take forever on SD cards with higher capacity. If you want to find out much faster, usually within seconds or minutes, you can run FakeFlashTest instead. Beware of false positive though from your AV software and the fast test is data destructive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it