Hacking mGBA save directory

rn_1604

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, tried to search but unable to find... does anyone know where the mGBA save file is located? I added the .sav file together with my .gba file in mGBA folder, but it does not seem to work...

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, tried to search but unable to find... does anyone know where the mGBA save file is located? I added the .sav file together with my .gba file in mGBA folder, but it does not seem to work...
They are stored in the same directory. Make sure the save files match in size (from the emulator you exported from, and mgba). Start a game on the emulator and save it to compare the size of the files.
Also make sure they are named exactly the same. I play Pokemon Glazed and the save/ROM are in SD:/mGBA and named as:
"pokemon-glazed-7b.gba"
"pokemon-glazed-7b.sav"

rn_1604

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are stored in the same directory. Make sure the save files match in size (from the emulator you exported from, and mgba). Start a game on the emulator and save it to compare the size of the files.
Also make sure they are named exactly the same. I play Pokemon Glazed and the save/ROM are in SD:/mGBA and named as:
"pokemon-glazed-7b.gba"
"pokemon-glazed-7b.sav"
The save files isn't matching in size. My Super Mario World in mGBA is 8KB whereas the one from VBA is 64KB. Do you know how to make the save file the same size?

rn_1604

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Change the save settings in the emulator to force the larger save file.
You mean in VBA or mGBA? VBA save file is larger than mGBA and there is no larger save file setting in mGBA. I realized even after generating sav file from mGBA, restarting the game doesnt let me continue with the sav, like as if the game was not saved at all. Is it something to do with the game (Super Mario World)? Other games work fine (VBA sav even works).

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean in VBA or mGBA? VBA save file is larger than mGBA and there is no larger save file setting in mGBA. I realized even after generating sav file from mGBA, restarting the game doesnt let me continue with the sav, like as if the game was not saved at all. Is it something to do with the game (Super Mario World)? Other games work fine (VBA sav even works).
In VBA, change the save settings.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I doubt it, that's pretty odd if it won't read the save it JUST created. Do you have both saves in the same directory? Because it might be trying to read the bad one first, and can't so it just starts a new game. I assume you're using an O3DS?

rn_1604

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In VBA, change the save settings.

I doubt it, that's pretty odd if it won't read the save it JUST created. Do you have both saves in the same directory? Because it might be trying to read the bad one first, and can't so it just starts a new game. I assume you're using an O3DS?
I deleted all the sav and started the game in mGBA. The 6KB sav was generated. When I restarted the game, it started out like a new game like as if no sav was found.

I tried all settings in VBA but the sav file is still 64KB...

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I deleted all the sav and started the game in mGBA. The 6KB sav was generated. When I restarted the game, it started out like a new game like as if no sav was found.

I tried all settings in VBA but the sav file is still 64KB...
Delete ALL the saved from your mGBA folder and try to start a new game again, then save.... If it doesn't read it then seems like something might be wrong with mGBA. Was your 8kb save working before? That seems really tiny to me.

rn_1604

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delete ALL the saved from your mGBA folder and try to start a new game again, then save.... If it doesn't read it then seems like something might be wrong with mGBA. Was your 8kb save working before? That seems really tiny to me.
Yes I deleted all the save from the mGBA folder... regenerate the save by saving in Super Mario World... reset and start a new game... no sav found! My 8KB save was nv working...

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried it and it works fine on VBA and mGBA and the save I uploaded works fine. Send me yours and I'll fix it for you
bDcF4tc.jpg

Last edited by Majickhat55,

rn_1604

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried it and it works fine on VBA and mGBA and the save I uploaded works fine. Send me yours and I'll fix it for you
bDcF4tc.jpg
This is my save:
I will try yours.

See if it reads this one.... It's a brand new save at 64kb
Hmmm your save doesn't work too. Is it my rom? May I know where you got yours?

Attachments

• Super Mario World (2).zip
    505 bytes · Views: 98

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really that's odd, because it works 100% in my mGBA. Let me try yours

You're playing Super Mario Advance 2 - Super Mario World right? Lol. That save you uploaded is blank *it's also 64kb so it should be read by mGBA*

And oh yeah, I can't give you the name of the actual warez site it's against the rules but you could definitely try downloading the ROM from somewhere else.

Last edited by Majickhat55,

rn_1604

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really that's odd, because it works 100% in my mGBA. Let me try yours

You're playing Super Mario Advance 2 - Super Mario World right? Lol. That save you uploaded is blank *it's also 64kb so it should be read by mGBA*

And oh yeah, I can't give you the name of the actual warez site it's against the rules but you could definitely try downloading the ROM from somewhere else.
That is right. The save I uploaded is blank? It is supposed to be a completed game save file which is from my VBA emulator. Putting it into mGBA doesnt work...

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I loaded your save in VBA and it has no save file for Super Mario World. They are all new games. Did you maybe send the blank one made from mGBA by mistake? I'm assuming you did since you said (and I confirmed) that VBA creates 8kb saves for that game, not 64kb. The one with your completed game should be 8kb if it's exported from VBA.

Thorusofer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"pokemon-glazed-7b.gba"
"pokemon-glazed-7b.sav"
Whats the exact directory? I'm having an issue finding where to transfer a save to because I just can't find the path to follow to get to the save files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro