mGBA Discussion

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheBroCode, Jan 21, 2017.

1. TheBroCode
    OP

TheBroCode GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    (I searched the forums for a similar thread but couldn't find one for 3DS)

Latest release: 0.5.2

Does anyone use mGBA? GB/GBA emulation is a bit of a strange thing for 3DS because you have the ability to play it via Virtual Console - so almost any game is perfectly playable straight away. But I still find myself preferring to have a catch all emulator due to restrictions on number of titles installed and other ease of use features. I was wondering if anyone was similar - I know I'm probably in a very small minority :P

GB/GBC emulation is great on it, maybe misses a few features from the other dedicated ones such as borders and palette swapping. GBA is very hit and miss, some games are very playable with a constant 60fps (or close to) but it's no guarantee. However I believe unlike the Retroarch gPSP it doesn't use dynarec which can give a speed boost - but that is also why that emulator is also very unstable and is constantly crashing randomly.

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    With mbga you have the option to play GBA games on the bottom screen, which is more comfortable to me. So I use it occasionally.

3. ThisIsJohn

ThisIsJohn Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    California.
    I have it installed still, but I never use it. I use GameYob to play some GB games in color sometimes though.

4. Palom

Palom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    The installed titles limit is why I tried mGBA and waited on SNES9X 0.80, so you're not alone in that regard. But I won't be using mGBA again.

mGBA played the two GBC titles I tried well enough, but it didn't give me any fast forwarding when I held ZR, so either the feature doesn't work, or my ZR is broken somehow. (Yes, I did configure the buttons.) The three GBA titles I played... not so much. And by the looks of the planned features for future releases, dynarec isn't happening anytime soon. But my biggest gripe is how it handles save files. Not only does it put the save where the ROM is, but it shows it in the ROM selection menu. For me, that's too annoying to deal with.

5. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Gpsp with filters and vsynch on on a n3ds gives me perfect fps in nearly every game, and looks better than on gba vc, making mgba and vc injection useless for me due to lack of dynarec recompiling and having to make a unique cia for every app.