Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes: A two hour game

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Arizato, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009
    So today Game Informer confirmed that they are having a big coverage of Metal Gear Solid V. They started of by saying that they got to spend 4 hours with Ground Zeroes and that 2 of those hours were spent on completing the whole story.

Most reactions are very negative so far, with people saying that it's outrageous to sell a game with a 2 hour main story for 40$ and I can agree to a certain extent. However I do keep in mind that the 4 hours wasn't enough to do EVERYTHING in the game and I am still keeping my pre-order intact since I've come to love this series within these past two years.

I also just came to think about Metal Gear Rising which has a 5 hour story mode without any side-objectives (if you count out the hostages) and people are praising that game to heaven and back, despite it being 60$ on launch! Now, don't get me wrong. It just kinda feels wrong to judge a game based on it's main story length. Then again I am one of those RPG junkies who must do every side-quest possible before completing the game.

What's your take on this, guys? Are you still buying this game or are you going to boycott it after this information became available?

2. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I am a bit skeptical at what you said, I can't believe Kojima would do something like this.
    There must be a good reason behind this... for example I remember reading that this would be a 2-act game: Ground Zeroes AND Phantom Pain
    You know it's like in Metal Gear Solid 2: the first act was the tanker, and the second act was the oil platform.
    I'm keeping an open mind right now, until the game is actually out there.

_acid_ likes this.
  3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    MGS V: Ground Zeroes is supposed to serve as a prologue to MGS V: The Phantom Pain, as Costello mentions. It's a "snack" before the main meal arrives on store shelves. Kojima directs his games with a heavy focus on the story - if the game's that short, I can smell DLC from a mile away.

4. Arizato
    OP

Arizato Memento Mori

Jun 1, 2009

Yes! Ground Zeroes is a prologue to The Phantom Pain. This is pretty much the same thing as the Tanker Chapter/Virtous Mission. You could say that Ground Zeroes ends the era from Peace Walker, since Ground Zeroes takes place almost directly after that game. The Phantom Pain is set 9 years after Ground Zeroes.

5. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    I'm a pretty big MGS fan but I haven't laid down the money for Ground Zeroes just yet. I'm wondering if I should wait until I get a PS4 or just go with the PS3 version. Also yeah, the length seems sketchy and paying $30 for a "teaser" is pretty shit. Maybe as a $15 digital title it'd be fine but as a $30 (well $40 for next gen versions) game, I'm pretty weary.

That being said I'll end up getting it eventually.

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    To be fair, they outright admitted to only playing the story missions, skipping all of the side quests and other objectives. Depending on how many of them there are, and what they're like, that can add a lot of time to a game. I mean, it won't make the game a 20 hour long experience, but it could be the difference between 2 hours and 4-6 hours.

Still won't stop the game from getting crowned zeroes by the Metacritic User Score posse, but whatever.

7. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    Apparently you can speed run Ground Zeros in five minutes.

8. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    The news is from yesterday, but I got almost shocked, MGS5 will be beatleble in less than 2 hours.

Even that it not include side quests (and It really dont), it is a short game IMO. "Next gen" games like Ryse and Forza 5 for example are also short, so it is a signal that devs are lacking tools to create content with high graphical demands? Or it is a new gaming trend, "pay full play little"?

anyway, here is the source, and please excuse me if it already possted.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02...-ground-zeroes-reported-to-be-extremely-short

PS.: I dont know the difference between Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, but the report is about Phantom Pain, despite the IGN's headline.

Edit: IGN's was in fact talking about Ground Zeroes, thanks to RikuCrafter and WiiUBricker for explaining

RikuCrafter likes this.
  9. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Phantom Pain is the main game, Ground Zeroes the prequel. I don't think the main game is 2 hours long. IGN is reporting about the prequel. Nothing out of ordinary here.

10. RikuCrafter

RikuCrafter GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    You've got your info wrong. MGS: Ground Zeroes is the prologue to Phantom Pain, which is mentioned by title in the article. The 2 hour game in question is Ground Zeroes, NOT Metal Gear Solid V. Just some clarification, since GZ is meant to be a much shorter experience; a taste of MGS5.

I am really not in support of this short prologue idea solely because of the pricing. From $20-$50 US is ridiculous for 2 hours. $10 on PSN would be much more reasonable.

11. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England