Merging two 3ds systems, advice please

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by splinters, Apr 7, 2013.

Apr 7, 2013
  1. splinters
    OP

Newcomer splinters Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have a 3DS XL and transferred over my ambassador status and games from my old 3DS a few weeks ago. I just bought another XL with Mario Kart and Mario Land digitally downloaded and want to copy these games to my XL.
    I know the system transfer process but, as the latest XL I got is not mint, i want the games on my own system which is just a week old.

Will the Mii and friend codes on the XL i just got overwrite my own? I really just want the two games.

I suppose i could merge with the 'other' console, wait a week then transfer back but that just seems long winded and a mate will be having the restored console. He would rather not wait...plus it will reduce the remaining transfers available.

Any advice on the best way to do this without losing personal data? Would formatting the system memory then downloading the two games again, without creating friends or a Mii, be the best?

..or will i just have to grin and bear it?

2. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Yeah, the data being sent will be the data you will keep. It will look exactly the same as the newer XL when it's finished, except you can download what you previously had from the eshop.

So if you send over the digital game XL info, you will have that FC as well. All the old games and saves (that were not on the system with the two games you want) are deleted and have to be redownloaded.

3. RedCoreZero

Banned RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

United States
    I merged three!

[​IMG]

nukeboy95 and paulfalcon like this.
  4. pokefloote

United States
    I want a red white and blue one
    'MURICA

5. splinters
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks, i know the data is merged and I will get the two games added to my ambassador model but, reading Nintendo's guide it would seem the XL i got with the games on will overwrite my Ambassador XL. As that is someone elses data, friend list etc. i really dont want that stuff.
    I already gave my friend code out to my friends but it sounds like I will end up with the code from the other system.

Now I know that is not real......

The circle pad should be grey... :lol:

Are friend codes generated when you first go through the process or locked to the console before you set it up?

I am thinking that a 'reset' console with no friends list or Mii would have nothing to overwrite on the Ambassador console and therefore leave my settings. Am I being too optimistic?

6. pokefloote

United States
    I think that's completely untested territory. If you decide to do it, you should report the results here. :P

7. splinters
    OP

United Kingdom
    Will do. I like messing with stuff and there isn't too much to put back on it if it goes wrong.

8. RedCoreZero

Banned RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

United States
    It does delete your friends I think,the destination 3DS will keep it's FC I think,so you might want to notify your friends in SN,to add your destination 3DS's FC.

9. splinters
    OP

United Kingdom
    The destination XL is the ambassador XL so if that keeps its friend code and Mii I will be overjoyed.

I am wondering at what point in the setup process a friend code is assigned.
    My plan is to format the system memory on the XL i just got then go through the basic setup including internet, go to the eshop, download the digital games then do the transfer.
    My theory (paper thin i have to say) is that no Mii or friends list will be on there and, as a result, will not overwrite those on my ambassador XL.
    Worse case scenario is i have to send out a new friend code to a dozen or so mates and make another Mii. I will get the free games added to my ambassador model.

10. pokefloote

United States
    You don't have to download the two digital games before you transfer, you could just wait until it's on the new system All your downloads are connected and merged in the eshop, in your download history you can get anything from both systems. Doesn't make much difference though I guess. I think once you connect to the internet it assigns a friend code, no? Or maybe it is once there's a mii, I don't know anyone who hasn't set up a Mii to test that.

If it's the first, then when you transfer it has to connect to the internet to do its thing. So maybe a new friendcode will be assigned anyway :S

11. splinters
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thats the last mystery for me...when is the friend code generated?
    According to Nintendo you need to go online with a game and it generates it, or when you go to the friend list. Others say its when you make a Mii.
    My theory being, if I do none of the above...I should be good to go.
    Will find out tomorrow I guess.

12. splinters
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well the XL arrived but it seems I did the system transfer last Wednesday so I cant transfer for another 2 days...I wonder if changing the system date would help.....

13. pokefloote

United States
    Try changing it to 23:59 and letting it transition to the next day naturally. Some games only work if you do that since Nintendo got smart. ;)

14. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I was in a similar situation as the OP. I ended up doing a system transfer of my "preferred" system (the one with my friend code, etc) to the system with the ambassador status. I then waited a week, and did a reverse system transfer back to my "preffered" 3DS. It sucks because you go a week without your preferred system, AND you use two system transfer licenses instead of one, but it was worth it to keep my friend code, puzzle pieces, etc without having to start from scratch.

15. splinters
    OP

United Kingdom
    I ended up losing all my saves etc. as I didnt want my stuff on the older console or use another valuable transfer license.

16. Shadow#1

Member Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    yea that was known that saves are not transferable.

17. pokefloote

United States
    Saves are transferrable though, mine are still here...? The ones on the system being overwritten get deleted, but the system that is doing the sending stays exactly the same (just on a different system)

18. xwatchmanx

United States
    Saves are definitely transferable during a system transfer. I would know, having done three of them and not losing my save files even once.

19. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    When you transfer, does it merge the of the orginal 3DS with the other, or just overwrite it?

20. xwatchmanx

United States
    it merges all your purchases on the "transfer to" device, and overwrites all the save data, friend code, friend list, etc on the "transfer to" device with the save data, friend list, friend code, etc from the "transfer from" device. I have no idea if it merges save data for games "exclusive" to each system, since I've never transferred to a 3DS that wasn't already wiped.