rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Arisotura [StapleButter] finally stopped being lazy, among other things, so here we go, we present you melonDS 0.7.4.

This release is hardly going to be revolutionary though, but I had to get it out before starting work on the hardware renderer.

The highlight of this release is the upgrade to the online wifi feature. Two main points there:

1. Under direct mode, you can finally choose which network adapter will be used by libpcap. The wifi settings dialog also shows their MAC and IP as to help you ensure you're picking the right adapter.

2. Indirect mode, which, as mentioned before, works without libpcap and on any connection. However, it's in alpha stages and it's a gross hack in general, so you can feel free to try it out, but don't expect miracles.

As usual, direct mode requires libpcap and an ethernet connection, and that you run melonDS with admin/superuser privileges.

Other than that, there are a few little fixes to the SDL audio code. melonDS now only emits sound when running something, so it shouldn't emit obnoxious noises when starting anymore. Also, it no longer crashes if you use WAV microphone input with a file that has multiple channels.

And other little things.

Now, full steam ahead towards 0.8! Or not quite. I also need to finish the redesign for the melonDS site, among other things.

Enjoy!

melonDS 0.7.4, Windows 64-bit
melonDS 0.7.4, Linux 64-bit

melonDS Patreon if you're feeling generous

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What're your specs?

Meh, My PC is a trash, but still I can run DeSmume ( I recently uploaded a video playing Online with DeSmume on my post ) and NO$GBA without problems here and with a great frame-rate, I do not understand why MelonDS has such a bad performance while these two run smoothly, even Citra run better here.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice!!
Meh, My PC is a trash, but still I can run DeSmume ( I recently uploaded a video playing Online with DeSmume on my post ) and NO$GBA without problems here and with a great frame-rate, I do not understand why MelonDS has such a bad performance while these two run smoothly, even Citra run better here.

I understand what you mean. You are better off talking to melonDS developer at his forum. He always answered there.. See what he is going to say about your experience. Why not share your experience with him ? He would love to hear from you and maybe can help you with that. Who knows. ;)

Reactions: Moon164

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well no$gba can run on a weaker CPU and DeSmuME hasn't been updated in years.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very true about no$gba.

For DeSmuME, it is still working on. Here: https://github.com/TASVideos/desmume

To be honest, I prefer no$gba and melonDS. However, melonDS is going to be the best emulator over no$gba and desmume, indeed. :P

I don't like no$gba because it's had a major audio issue plaguing Super Mario 64 DS for years, the title screen music has had severe crackling, same with Partners in Time, and Martin has never bothered to fix it. Not to mention, other games have had audio crackling (Tales of Innocence, etc). DeSmuME has had perfect audio emulation but there hasn't been a release. Just because it's been worked doesn't change the fact there hasn't been a reliable public version released in years. :unsure:

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like no$gba because it's had a major audio issue plaguing Super Mario 64 DS for years, the title screen music has had severe crackling, same with Partners in Time, and Martin has never bothered to fix it. Not to mention, other games have had audio crackling (Tales of Innocence, etc). DeSmuME has had perfect audio emulation but there hasn't been a release. Just because it's been worked doesn't change the fact there hasn't been a reliable public version released in years. :unsure:

Yeah, I know about Super Mario 64 DS issues. That's why I am after melonDS more now.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Very true about no$gba.

For DeSmuME, it is still working on. Here: https://github.com/TASVideos/desmume

To be honest, I prefer no$gba and melonDS. However, melonDS is going to be the best emulator over no$gba and desmume, indeed. :P

To be honest, I just like the NO$GBA because I could run it even on my old Intel Celeron/2 GB RAM

DeSmume is also not far behind, with only 4 GB of RAM I can run most games with no problem (which does not run 100% is just using frame-skip) and I can still play Online, I even used it to get my Pokémon from White 2 to the original White 1 cartridge

Both emulators are great and do not require a powerful PC, unfortunately I can not say the same of MelonDS currently, I can barely keep the 10fps in Pokémon White 2, but I still hope that the performance of the emulator improves, as I said above who knows if I post in the forum help improve the performance of the emulator.

Last edited by Moon164,

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
also: since I see you throw around RAM numbers

the amount of RAM you have is meaningless as far as DS emulation is concerned. all the DS emulators don't even need 1GB.

RAM timing might make a difference in performance, but that's another story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool