Megaupload: Data access talks to begin on 26 April

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by shakirmoledina, Apr 23, 2012.

1. shakirmoledina
    OP

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    Source

Many still have innocent data on there although i believe the majority are pc, ps3 and xbx games

2. beta4attack

Member beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    *sees the 25 petabytes and faints* THAT'S LIKE OVER 9000 TERRABYTES!

3 people like this.
  3. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I had some honest data uploaded, that was legal (I never uploaded anything that was illegal per se, since I didn't want me account to be banned)

4. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I occasionally upload some data to Megaupload too, some honest stuff like a green star image guide I made for Super Mario Galaxy 2.
    It would be nice for some stuff to return.

5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Its over 25000 Terabytes.

That's a fair load of data... who's going to get the job of sifting through all that crap to find the innocent data over the illegal data? Probably nobody. I imagine this data will all just be destroyed.

1 person likes this.
  6. dragonmaster

Member dragonmaster THE WALKER

Greece
    yes but what of the intellectual property of the small fries that stored data on megaupload,they care about piracy for the big companies but what for small individuals that had data over the megaupload and lost them isnt it piracy to never give to any one its property ;)

7. Sheimi

Member Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Japan
    I'm thinking they will just delete the data. It would take a long time to sort through that data.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Perhaps more interestingly for some the case against it may not even come to trial
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/23/megaupload_case_in_trouble/

1 person likes this.
  9. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Yes! Take that, evil RIAA and its associates :angry:

Trying to charge for terrorism and conspiracy a poor, good man who valued freedom of expression over anything... :(

2 people like this.
  10. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Basically the data uploaded for copyrighted material is kinda moot as the original uploaders may not need it and others may not be able to access it. This because I don't see the data being made available again for everyone. The personal data on the other hand.. Kinda like bombing dropbox and losing all data because of that..

Shit is going to hit the fan if the data is deleted without people getting their data back. It's going to be a huge lawsuit against the US Gov (ordering/giving permission for data deletion) and possibly Carpathia (being the one deleting the data).

11. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Good news I guess but as everyone say getting the innocent stuff there would be rather time and effort consuming.

12. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Hmm I need a new hard drive, are they willing to donate?

13. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    wow how dumb is america that they have all this information to have dotcom put in jail forever and they cant legally i just doesnt make sense what is wrong well then they need to put megaupload back up

14. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I can not see a lawsuit against Carpathia and/or Cogent getting far- so far they have been left in the lurch by this (their servers/storage and such probably need to be online and with decent uptime to make them money).

Gh0sti do they really have enough info to put him in jail forever?- the judge presiding over the case has said the FBI might not have enough to even bring criminal charges of enough note to even extradite him and that is before we even head in the murky territory of intent and culpability* vis a vis the site design and underlying logic.

"well then they need to put megaupload back up"
    I am certainly curious as to what will happen with this but it is not such a simple course of action. For an absolutely terrible analogy - should one get pinched and some weed be found in the process but you are otherwise cut loose without charge or anything they tend not to give your weed back.

*not entirely related but two videos worth seeing as it covers a lot of the ideas behind US law and how things apply to each other.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibQGWXfWc7c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

15. bradzx

Member bradzx x-Darkie-x

United States
    PB?! Dont tell me more memory than TB. It is?

16. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    One petabyte is one thousand terabytes, which itself is one thousand gigabytes. So yeah, it's a lot.

17. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have nothing much to add right now (I already went twice) but http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html and there may be more coming. Naturally it would not be computing without a discussion on the various things- see the difference between megabytes and mebibytes how hard drive makers and memory makers differ.

Also as a rule of thumb we try not to say thing like "that is so much space" as it has a habit of looking quaint in a few years time (although history now considers it a false quote http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9101699/The_640K_quote_won_t_go_away_but_did_Gates_really_say_it_ is quite nice). This applies especially here- I tend to shy away from high end stuff and I have been tapped to draw up designs for storage systems clocking in the several hundred terabytes.

18. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    What they should do is simple,give access back to the users and give them about a week or two(or a month) to get their files and anything thats still there after that period is simply deleted,problem solved...

19. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Now I may be outdated on information about this case, but isn't access of (certain) data by the users one of the main reasons MegaUpload was taken down? Why would they even allow the data to be accessed again?

20. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    MegaUpload was certainly a handy site to load and save data from, to bad the FBI went all "Cheeseburger apocalypse" on it...