Legend
OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Negotiations will start on 26 April over what will happen to data taken offline by the shutdown of file-sharing site Megaupload
More than 25 petabytes of data (holy!) were left in legal limbo by the raid, which was co-ordinated by US law enforcement.

Carpathia, the hosting firm which oversaw the servers for Megaupload, has put the hardware in a warehouse while the row over what happens to the data is sorted out.

The US government said Carpathia could delete the data, provided enough had been done to try to return the information to users.

Source

Many still have innocent data on there although i believe the majority are pc, ps3 and xbx games

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I had some honest data uploaded, that was legal (I never uploaded anything that was illegal per se, since I didn't want me account to be banned)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I occasionally upload some data to Megaupload too, some honest stuff like a green star image guide I made for Super Mario Galaxy 2.
It would be nice for some stuff to return.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
*sees the 25 petabytes and faints* THAT'S LIKE OVER 9000 TERRABYTES!
Its over 25000 Terabytes.

That's a fair load of data... who's going to get the job of sifting through all that crap to find the innocent data over the illegal data? Probably nobody. I imagine this data will all just be destroyed.

Reactions: 1 person

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
yes but what of the intellectual property of the small fries that stored data on megaupload,they care about piracy for the big companies but what for small individuals that had data over the megaupload and lost them isnt it piracy to never give to any one its property ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps more interestingly for some the case against it may not even come to trial
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/23/megaupload_case_in_trouble/

Reactions: 1 person

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Perhaps more interestingly for some the case against it may not even come to trial
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/23/megaupload_case_in_trouble/
Yes! Take that, evil RIAA and its associates :angry:

Trying to charge for terrorism and conspiracy a poor, good man who valued freedom of expression over anything... :(

Reactions: 2 people

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Basically the data uploaded for copyrighted material is kinda moot as the original uploaders may not need it and others may not be able to access it. This because I don't see the data being made available again for everyone. The personal data on the other hand.. Kinda like bombing dropbox and losing all data because of that..

Shit is going to hit the fan if the data is deleted without people getting their data back. It's going to be a huge lawsuit against the US Gov (ordering/giving permission for data deletion) and possibly Carpathia (being the one deleting the data).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can not see a lawsuit against Carpathia and/or Cogent getting far- so far they have been left in the lurch by this (their servers/storage and such probably need to be online and with decent uptime to make them money).

Gh0sti do they really have enough info to put him in jail forever?- the judge presiding over the case has said the FBI might not have enough to even bring criminal charges of enough note to even extradite him and that is before we even head in the murky territory of intent and culpability* vis a vis the site design and underlying logic.

"well then they need to put megaupload back up"
I am certainly curious as to what will happen with this but it is not such a simple course of action. For an absolutely terrible analogy - should one get pinched and some weed be found in the process but you are otherwise cut loose without charge or anything they tend not to give your weed back.

*not entirely related but two videos worth seeing as it covers a lot of the ideas behind US law and how things apply to each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibQGWXfWc7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have nothing much to add right now (I already went twice) but http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html and there may be more coming. Naturally it would not be computing without a discussion on the various things- see the difference between megabytes and mebibytes how hard drive makers and memory makers differ.

Also as a rule of thumb we try not to say thing like "that is so much space" as it has a habit of looking quaint in a few years time (although history now considers it a false quote http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9101699/The_640K_quote_won_t_go_away_but_did_Gates_really_say_it_ is quite nice). This applies especially here- I tend to shy away from high end stuff and I have been tapped to draw up designs for storage systems clocking in the several hundred terabytes.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What they should do is simple,give access back to the users and give them about a week or two(or a month) to get their files and anything thats still there after that period is simply deleted,problem solved...

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I may be outdated on information about this case, but isn't access of (certain) data by the users one of the main reasons MegaUpload was taken down? Why would they even allow the data to be accessed again?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb