Media Update

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by mpg187, Oct 7, 2009.

Oct 7, 2009

Media Update by mpg187 at 1:18 AM (1,511 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. mpg187
    OP

Member mpg187 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I got my 360 in and I can load files off USB or the DVD Drive. Currently I have my PSP plugged into a USB port and a burned data DVD with some DIVX files.

When I try to play the MP4s off my PSP for the DIVX files it says a media update is required and to go on Xbox Live.

My console is modded, so what is a safe way I get a media update without bricking or getting banned?

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure there is one, I think it works similar to XBL titles where it stores license info on the hard drive. If your console ain't banned I don't think you have too much to worry about.

3. mpg187
    OP

Canada
    But won't it get banned if I connect, or is that only if I play a burnt game?

4. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Nobody knows how bannings work as far as I know, there's plenty of people who play burned games on Live and never get banned. Same goes for DLC and XBL games. It's just a chance you've gotta take if you want DivX/XviD playback.

5. JesseB

Member JesseB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Apparently the codec download acts like any downloadable content such as games. It is locked to your specific console. Therefore, the only way to get it is by connecting to live. Sounds like you're gonna have to bite the bullet. But if your 360 was modded correctly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

6. mpg187
    OP

Canada
    What's DLC?

7. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Download Content.

8. mpg187
    OP

Canada
    From http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page
    If I install the media update, would it install that?

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I wouldnt worry about that
    just a bunch of crap from them as usual

saying they would release a hack a few days after said update and yet almost 2 months later and absolute nothing

10. mpg187
    OP

Canada
    Would connecting to XBL update my XBox? Would that wreck a modded one?

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    nope it will still work fine, you can still play all the burnt games you want

12. mpg187
    OP

Canada
    MS wouldn't put something in the update that makes the console inoperative

Also, I don't have Xbox Live and I don't wanna pay, is it free to get DLC if you don't play online?

13. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    well there are ways but you need to inject them into your hard drive and its somewhat complicated

this is not true for all DLC though

for other DLC you can just wait until they become disc based like GTA Episodes from Liberty City (Lost and Dammed + Balled of Gay Tony), Fallout 3 GOTY (all 5 DLC + fallout 3), Oblivion GOTY (2 DLC + oblivion), etc...

14. mpg187
    OP

Canada
    What's not true?

So you sare saying I have to pay or hack?

I have never played a burnt game with this console, the eBay listing only mentions the lights and sh*t and "modded" but I messaged him and he said he played burnt games on it before.

Is there a possibility this isn't modded?

It plays an original of Halo 3 (My sister found that game and I didn't know until my brother said she had an Xbox game. I never really liked Halo, but I only played it for a few minutes one time, maybe now I'll give it a chance since I have it)

15. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Interestingly enough, that's wrong. M$ have twice before (to my knowledge) released an update that potentially bricks 360s. I've heard there're a couple fixes if this happens (mainly involving a factory reset if red rings don't get in the way first) but the point is that M$ care more about fighting homebrew than the safety of their products. IIRC, I think around 20,000 consoles were bricked by these updates, although it may be much higher.

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    As for the Wiki extract you posted (and I repeated in the spoiler), I think that refers to the second such console-bricking update. Because of that update, it seems as if any 360 updated after August 11th will not be able to run homebrew (including the useful MoBo/DVD key extractor program to save people buying the connectivity kit for LiteOns). At least not until the next hack is released. I'm guessing M$ don't want to follow Ninty and Sony in how the Wii/DS/PSP turned out.

Oh, and incase you're worried (even though it's been said already), LIVE updates thus far have not affected drive flashed 360s at all, so even if you update to the latest versions, you'll still be able to play all the burnt games you like (providing you stealth/burn them properly - non-stealthed games get you banned fast). You just won't be able to use homebrew [​IMG]

16. mpg187
    OP

Canada
    So if it does brick it's on on purpose, it's negligence?

I don't wanna lost the ability to play homebrew.

Could I get the update off Xlink Kai or something?

17. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    not on purpose

rare error when installing the new firmware, corrupts the bootloader thus giving you a nice paperweight

that goes foe every single device on the market that you flash firmware too, phones, ps3, computer(bios), routers, etc...
    like the latest update for the wii for ex.

18. mpg187
    OP

Canada
    Ya I understand there's always a risk when flashing, so what makes this so special?

19. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    nothing really, they are just trying to get your attention by claiming its a dangerous update (not really) just because it blocks homebrew

thats my take on it anyway, I havnt seen anyone bricked their xbox with the update yet when they announced this news on aug.11, alot of people posted in threads that they already updated etc... before they saw this