OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
McDonald's to train new employees with a DS game
Cooking Mama, Mickey-D style!
Just spotted this on Gizmodo. Nintendo is helping McDonald's design a "game" to teach new crew members how to flip burgers virtually at McD's.

Your DS could now help you perform better in a job. How cool is that?

Watch the vid at Gimodo.com in the source link.

Source

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need it, just want to have it for the sake of having it.

omg, the McDonalds DS was pretty wicked.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
I WANT IT NOWWWWW

I wonder if it'll feature all the gross rumors
tongue.gif
There's 1 rumour where apparently 1 of the employees spunked in the milkshake machine.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
They disguise it as a game so you train yourself outside of office hours, sneaky. I wouldn't say it really requires a DS, but when you think of it that way it makes sense why they'd pick the DS instead of a PC.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
When I worked at my local McDonald's, we had to sit through a 3-hour training video with interactive questions and games...Most of it didn't apply to what I did while working there (Which was preparing food), so I was always confused on what to do.

However, I managed to memorize the order in which the ingredients go on to a sandwich in a few days. This would've been so much easier and cooler.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
QUOTE said:
how to flip burgers virtually
When they get to the real thing they will be like "OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. WHAT DO I DO, WHY IS THIS THING HOT, WHY IS PEOPLE SHOUTING FOR THEIR BURGERS. OH MY GOD, THEY DIDN'T SAY THIS IN THE GAME" /bawwwwwquit.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you do in training and what you do on the actual job are two completely different things usually. I remember when I worked as a pharmacy tech at CVS we had like 25 hours of training. And then when I got there I was still clueless on a lot of things, or I would do things they told us to do at training that we didn't really do. On the second day, the lead tech pulled me aside and said "Today, were going to teach you what we really do, as opposed to what they told you to do" and that was so much more helpful.

So yeah, besides the novelty of the game, I don't see it helping too much. Beating Trauma Center hasn't made me a surgeon:)

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
So yeah, besides the novelty of the game, I don't see it helping too much. Beating Trauma Center hasn't made me a surgeon:)
From what I saw in the video, it's actually a lot like what I did when I worked there. Except the fact that you don't flip burgers at a McDonald's...You place the frozen patties on the grill, set the timer depending on what kind of patty it is (Regular, 1/4 Pounder, Angus...I didn't work there when they came out with the Angus though), let them cook (The regular ones take like 14 seconds, since they cook on both sides at once since the flip-down grill cover thing comes down), season them with salt, pepper, and whatever the other one is this little jar of seasoning was, take them off, and place them on a tray and into the thing that keeps them warm (I forget what it's called).

I don't know why I felt like explaining that, but now I'm hungry.

Also, Trauma Center isn't exactly a training game...It's a surgery-simulation game. Sure, they train you how to do surgeries in the game, but that's just how to play the game itself, not operate on real people.

u4ia24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I want to play that game! The game's graphics looks pretty decent too. Makes the game food look yummy. lol

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
What is the point?

why not use the wii motion+ to shake the fries
laugh.gif

(If a release group dumps it I'm playing it)

I love the way the site says "It's like cooking Mama, but more depressing when you win"
rofl.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would teach new crew members the mechanics of the various tasks in a McD's, that's all. At least they'll be a little more prepared when they go "hands-on" in an actual McDonald's. I remember the first time I worked at a McD......training was just; read a book, watch a vid, get to work. It took you quite a while to learn all the sandwiches simply because training was so poorly executed and not every McSandwhich was in the book or the vid. Plus, expecting other crew members to train you is usually flaky at best, and many times, you are "taught" improper techniques in a haste because the store was busy. I would have loved a program like this that would have taught me correctly back then. It would have saved a lot of time and aggravation.

It would make learning the ropes a lot more fun, as well as being more efficient. The end-result would be that customers get more correctly prepared food quicker, and store managers get a more efficient crew. Win-win for everyone. Well.....except for that "fast food is bad for you" thing.
rolleyes.gif

It seems like they could make this a "DS Download Play" sort of option when you are at a McD's. McD's always had free WiFi for the DS anyway. All they would have to do is password protect the program so the average person walking in off the street couldn't access it without the password. The password would obviously be given to the crew and it could spread to the public that way, but they could always make the password changeable at each location. That could work.

I really don't think they'll just release the game to retail though. Most companies like to consider basic things about their operation as "secrets", going retail with a program like this would go against that policy. But these are "money hungry" corporations we're talking about, so who knows....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.