Maybe N00b Q, but really need help

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Retroboy, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Retroboy
    OP

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    Hi,

I've been adding codes here for Zelda Majoras Mask and have started on other games and was hoping to submit them.

But today it seems (or some point during the last 2 days) that someone has updated my 3DS to the latest firmware.... I am absolutely fuming about this because I never do updates and I've told my kids not to touch my 3DS.

I'm now stuck, i can no longer make codes with this update.

I have a Gateway cart (red and blue) and I did make a NAND dump as soon as i got the 3DS.

Is it possible to downgrade my 3DS back to 9.2 using my NAND dump?

2. shipwreck5

shipwreck5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2015
    Home... Probably
    Of course but that will require a hardmod or maybe when ninjhax 2.0 is released u can that as an exploit if it is powerful enough.

3. Retroboy
    OP

May 28, 2015
    ive read that its possible using gateway's downgrade option by using my NAND but if im on 9.9 i doubt the gateway weblink will work so ive no idea how im to get into the gateway menu to downgrade.

4. forcefield

forcefield Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2015
    France
    sysnand
    Gateway's downgrade method could theoretically do it, but you cannot access it because you are on 9.9.
    > 9.2 = no way to access to gateway menu.
    You can however hardmod your device and flash your nand backup.

5. Retroboy
    OP

May 28, 2015
    Ok cheers, have you any info on how to hardmod, please i hope it doesnt require that ninja game, i have heard of some sort of mod using ocarina of time fingers crossed as i own a legit cart of this.

6. anuraag

anuraag Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2011
    pretty sure hardmod means actually opening the 3ds and soldering some stuff, you might wanna see if someone else could do that for you

7. forcefield

Newcomer
    May 6, 2015
    France
    sysnand
    Hardmodding doesn't require any game, you basically just solder wires on your 3ds, and connect them to your computer.

Ask here if someone could do that for you or search a diy tutorial. (Here is a tutorial from a shop site I recently used (in french) with pics : http://www.infinitydream.com/newsdesk_info.php?newsPath=102&newsdesk_id=150 )

There's also this video tutorial which explains how to dump a 3ds nand with a hardmod, but you can use the same setup for flashing your nand backup with tools like "Win32 Disk Imager".
    Good luck ;)

Edit : You can of course avoid destroying the back of your 3ds plate by using a micro usb this way :
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by forcefield, Jul 16, 2015
  8. Retroboy
    OP

May 28, 2015
    thanks, i had a look at the video, in doing this would mean having a cable connector showing in the back.

Ill post in your link see if anyone can help me, i hope this can work and luckily i made a backup of my nand the first day i got the 3ds so hopefully i can get back to the firmware i was on.

9. forcefield

Newcomer
    May 6, 2015
    France
    sysnand
    Read the "Edit" part of my post, I added the method to avoid destroying the back of your 3ds so that no connector is visible.

10. Retroboy
    OP

May 28, 2015
    yea ive just seen this when i visited that site.

It does look pretty much simple..... if only i had a solder iron good enough and some solder.

think im going to try a post on FB see if i can get a trade lol

11. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    you don't need to make any hole or put any connector on the 3ds, you solder the wires, restore the nand backup, then you can either cut them and use tape (so the tip doesn't touch anything) or unsolder the wires (not recommended since you can also unsolder the nand connection or make a solder mess)
    but if you don't plan to restore\downgrade the nand again, you don't need to make the hole on the console..

12. Retroboy
    OP

May 28, 2015
    im wondering if im able to find anyone trust worthy and local that could do this, id try but i have like no soldering experience and id hate to solder all the points as one :(

Ive managed to find out who updated my 3DS, last time i help someone, a guy came round wanting some codes applying because he cant using his 3ds, so i did and showed him and said find a save point so the changes are kept.

I guess he mistook me and thought i said save your game, then please close it and do a system update!!!

I am so angry right now

13. forcefield

Newcomer
    May 6, 2015
    France
    sysnand
    At least you have a backup. Maybe you could try asking @hundshamer for that hardmod ;)

14. Retroboy
    OP

May 28, 2015
    ill send a pm, wonder what shipping fees would be to the usa lol