Homebrew May have bricked my 3ds.

Shadyninja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I already hacked and got cfw on my system I have luma and fbi and what not. So I go to update luma and then my system turns off and now the light only comes on for a quick moment then turns back off. Tried holding start and select,but it seems to be no use. I think my bootstrap is version 1.0 if that helps.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download Luma v7.1 and move the boot.firm to your SD card root, overwriting the one you have now. Your system should now be able to boot. Now follow this to update your boot9strap version and your Luma version.

Your 3DS is not bricked. Do not panic.

Shadyninja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I looked into my file files and it seems 7.1 is the one I had from the start. Also while following the guide it seems like some of my files are write protected so I cannot overwrite them. Should I keep going? I apologize I'm still a bit new to 3ds homebrew.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I looked into my file files and it seems 7.1 is the one I had from the start. Also while following the guide it seems like some of my files are write protected so I cannot overwrite them. Should I keep going? I apologize I'm still a bit new to 3ds homebrew.
You may have had v7.1 from the start, but you ran Luma Updater and it updated to a version of Luma that only supports b9s v1.2. That messed up your boot.firm and therefore you need a clean boot.firm from v7.1 to continue booting your system. As for your files, try following the guide but from a different SD card or try to remove the write protection on the files. What files can you not overwrite?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really helps to know what kind of 3DS you have. The original (and XL) use an SD, while newer ones use microSD. Regular SD cards sometimes either lose their locking tab, or it simply slides into the "locked" position, making it read-only. either way, a piece of scotch tape should do the trick to fix that problem. I could suggest more, but you really need to provide more info about your setup.

What @KunoichiZ suggested is the first thing you should do, if a locking tab isn't your problem.

Last edited by urherenow,

Shadyninja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stuff like eshop and the boot .firm file. I looked up a guide on removing the protection and it seemed to have worked. On the updating guide I just manged to complete section one and my system boots again! Making good progress so far. I do have a question is godmode the luma chainloader mode?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stuff like eshop and the boot .firm file. I looked up a guide on removing the protection and it seemed to have worked. On the updating guide I just manged to complete section one and my system boots again! Making good progress so far. I do have a question is godmode the luma chainloader mode?
No. GodMode9 is separate from the Luma chainloader.

Shadyninja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really helps to know what kind of 3DS you have. The original (and XL) use an SD, while newer ones use microSD. Regular SD cards sometimes either lose their locking tab, or it simply slides into the "locked" position, making it read-only. either way, a piece of scotch tape should do the trick to fix that problem. I could suggest more, but you really need to provide more info about your setup.

What @KunoichiZ suggested is the first thing you should do, if a locking tab isn't your problem.
I have a new 3ds XL sorry for omitting that detail.

No. GodMode9 is separate from the Luma chainloader.
Hmmmm Alright, it's just when I hold start godmode pops up,holding select does the nand thing.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a new 3ds XL sorry for omitting that detail.

Hmmmm Alright, it's just when I hold start godmode pops up,holding select does the nand thing.
Does your GodMode9 .firm have the words "start_" at the start of the name? If it does, remove it.

What do you mean by "nand thing"? You mean where you select the settings for your Luma configuration?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its very simple. Below the page, you will find an option to see the list of staff members.