[Mario Kart 8] Need Help with Custom Textures

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by WilliamtG, May 10, 2016.

1. WilliamtG
    OP

WilliamtG Newbie

Newcomer
    May 10, 2016
    Canada
    Hey, so I managed to edit several textures in MK8. I would only change the alb.dds files through Paint.NET and then would insert the file back into the bfres/.szs and try loading the textures when launching MK8. They technically work, but whenever I am far away from them the game loads the old texture. Is there something I am doing wrong? I can provide a video showing my issue later on tonight.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

-William

2. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    World -1
    That is because the mipmaps, lower resolution textures that load when you are away from camera. If the app you are using to convert bfres ( which is btw?) doen't support mipmaps, the only alternative is hex editing, as I did.

3. WilliamtG
    OP

WilliamtG Newbie

Newcomer
    May 10, 2016
    Canada
    Oh I see, how do you hex edit? Also I am using yaz0dec.exe/yaz0enc.exe to decode/encode and use TexHaxU to do the file converting and stuff

Thanks!

Last edited by WilliamtG, May 12, 2016
  4. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    World -1
    Actually it supports mipmaps, make sure you add them to the png. I don't know how they work in the png, sorry :(

5. WilliamtG
    OP

WilliamtG Newbie

Newcomer
    May 10, 2016
    Canada
    Yeah don't worry I solved it. Ty for replying though! :D

6. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Mipmaps in my thing are auto generated with Texconv2 so you just need the base texture, just when you're importing you gotta match the two values it spits out so it has the correct number of mipmaps, I've only ever seen it need 1x1 mipmap (1 as the value for lowest mipmap size)
    Also, mine is incredibly hacky, you should try with @mariosonicds version too

Last edited by NWPlayer123, May 13, 2016
  7. PeeJay Bonobo

PeeJay Bonobo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2014
    United States
    Far Rockaway, New York
    So, basically, make sure your DDS files already have mipmaps at the ready, right?

Also, here's something I want you to look at:

I edited (anyone looking into a Lakitu texture hack will have to find these files themselves):
    1. JugemEye_Alb.0 (1)
    2. JugemEye_Alb.1 (2)
    3. JugemEye_Alb.10 (3)
    4. JugemEye_Alb.2 (4)
    5. JugemEye_Alb.3 (5)
    6. JugemEye_Alb.4 (6)
    7. JugemEye_Alb.5 (7)
    8. JugemEye_Alb.6 (8)
    9. JugemEye_Alb.7 (9)
    10. JugemEye_Alb.8 (10)
    11. JugemPupil_Alb (31)
    12. Jugem_Alb (34)

In the original texture, JugemPupil_Alb goes over both JugemEye_Alb.10 and JugemEye_Alb.8 as it should, but when I modify the textures, it's the other way around. I think I'm doing something terribly wrong, or I'm screwing with the order someway, somehow, even though that was how it was listed in filelist.bat.

Last edited by PeeJay Bonobo, May 13, 2016
  8. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Nah I'm saying don't worry about mipmaps cause it takes care of it, and you only need to replace the texture you wanna edit, so just do it manually on command line instead of a batch file

9. PeeJay Bonobo

PeeJay Bonobo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2014
    United States
    Far Rockaway, New York
    Yeah, I used a batch file according to lonemoonhd's texture tutorial, but he/she did state that you have to do it one at a time to make sure everything is working correctly, which I did not bother doing because I had 12 textures to replace. MarioSonicDS's BFRES Texture Injector works as well, and prints out more information, like what the formats of the textures were (the three textures I have issues with used the BC3 compression while the rest use BC1), but the modified texture(s) has(ve) to match while with your TexHaxU, I can throw whatever .DDS compression/format I want in without caring.

NWPlayer123 likes this.
  10. Matzeus

Matzeus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Can somebody explain why i´m having issues with mipmaps?
    For some reasons my textures only come in action if i´m close to the object (in my case "mapobj/Tree64Yoshi")
    I did these steps:
    1. extract the .bfres
    2. edit the .dds texture with Paint.NET
    3. put the .dds with the corresponding .gtx into the TexHaxU - folder
    4. run filelist.bat in order to get the positions
    5. put it in splicer.bat - ran it
    6. replace the "0" with the BFRES number - ran it again (2nd time)
    7. replace the BFRES number with the GTX number - ran it again (last time)

11. Videogamerev

Videogamerev Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2016
    United States
    Can anyone send me a Tutorial on How to mod this