wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
sclogo.gif
MAME4ALL v1.0
SCDS2 Emulation!
1010171712c4576542d21089de.jpg

Alekmaul has just released his MAME EMU for the DS2. The emulator supports the MAME 0.37b5 ROM set, see below for more information. Based on the included documentation this is a port of his Dingoo MAME4ALL build, which leaves open the possibility for future Dingoo EMU ports to the SCDS2.

Why v0.37b5 said:
You need MAME ROMS which are compatible with MAME 0.37b5. This is a relatively older version. Many of the later version MAME roms will not work. Some ROMS can be easily converted (using freely available tools), others cannot. Later versions of MAME tend to concentrate on compatibility as the cost of performance. Earlier versions are more in line with the hardware capabilities of our target machine. These earlier versions have some significant programming speedups which have been removed in later versions. Two examples are the use of internal 8-bit graphic rendering and dirty buffer handling.

Later versions of MAME with ALL the drivers included can easily reach a size of 40-60MB - more than the amount of RAM available to the SCDS2 (which is 32MB). So basically we're talking trade-offs here.

Thanks to Clookster via IRC for the tip!

download.gif
 Download 30.8 MB
icon11.gif
 Homepage
icon11.gif
 Source

Reactions: zfreeman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard of such an emulator like this before, even though I'm on the SC Forums almost everyday.

So this emulates games that have a ".mame" extension or what? I'm thinking about giving this emulator a try and possibly playing some retro games that I've never played before, especially since I started gaming in like, what, 2005?

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am r4ymond said:
I've never heard of such an emulator like this before, even though I'm on the SC Forums almost everyday.

So this emulates games that have a ".mame" extension or what? I'm thinking about giving this emulator a try and possibly playing some retro games that I've never played before, especially since I started gaming in like, what, 2005?

MAME roms are .zip files. They contain the data for the game and you put them in the "roms" folder unzipped. It's a bit tricky to find working roms though. Go to this database to know what files you need.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finding compatible roms is a pain, so far all I've got working is Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker. Both games lag even at full clock speed, but it's a pretty nice start.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
hullo8d said:
Finding compatible roms is a pain, so far all I've got working is Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker. Both games lag even at full clock speed, but it's a pretty nice start.

your looking for MAME 0.37b5 files or information on how to convert a ROM to work with mame4all. there are many ports of mame4all for many systems, handhelds, phones, etc. finding info on converting is pretty easy.

-another world

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
This is sweet news. I will test the hell out of this when I get home. It's freakin' great to own a DSTwo!

EDIT: Cannot, for the life of me, get any ROMs to run. Mortal Kombat II (A few different revisions of it, ones listed in the 'gamelist.txt' file), Golden Axe (Version 1), Hang-On, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (World), and a load of other supposedly compatible games all give me an error message, Failed to initialize machine emulation, or something very similar.

I've been through the FAQ and I suppose some trial and error is in order in regards to the settings for the games, I just think it's a bit disappointing. And there's far too many plug-ins too. Maybe it'll become consolidated in future releases but I'm going to give this a miss for now. No disrespect to Alekmaul at all, it's only an initial release after all. (Sorry for the rhyme).

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kiafazool said:
so what roms work on this??????

Most (If not all) Mame4all formatted roms. I think only one or two games have outright refused to boot for me, and I have a couple hundred (Haven't tested them all yet).

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
SixtySixHundred said:
This is sweet news. I will test the hell out of this when I get home. It's freakin' great to own a DSTwo!

EDIT: Cannot, for the life of me, get any ROMs to run. Mortal Kombat II (A few different revisions of it, ones listed in the 'gamelist.txt' file), Golden Axe (Version 1), Hang-On, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (World), and a load of other supposedly compatible games all give me an error message, Failed to initialize machine emulation, or something very similar.

I've been through the FAQ and I suppose some trial and error is in order in regards to the settings for the games, I just think it's a bit disappointing. And there's far too any plug-ins too. Maybe it'll become consolidated in future releases but I'm going to give this a miss for now. No disrespect to Alekmaul at all, it's only an initial release after all. (Sorry for the rhyme).
You probably are using the wrong version of that game's ROM (remember that you need the 0.37b5 ROMset...if it's not that one, it might not work). Also, the reason it has so many plug-ins is probably memory constraints (like how scummvmDS has several versions supporting different games...MAME with all the drivers can end up being kinda big.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
squirrelman10 said:
what are some good games for this emu? im guessing these roms are illegal to obtain?
Just like any ROMs it would be something we can't just casually toss links to on the boards (for the most part, besides the odd public domain ROM or two). Also...I'm not 100% sure what this one does and doesn't support yet, but I do know some old classics work (Contra, Pac-Man, Black Tiger...I *think* Street Fighter works).

*edit*
This may assist people in converting a newer romset to work with this. Some of the links are outdated, but it's easy enough to google clrmamepro. I'm not sure if all ROMs converted this way will work though, but it's worth a try (all of them I've tried have worked so far).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"