Mame cabinet FTW!!!

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Myke, Dec 11, 2008.

Dec 11, 2008

Mame cabinet FTW!!! by Myke at 7:04 PM (4,847 Views / 0 Likes) 46 replies

1. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    I just picked these bad boys up for 30 bux. (saved me hundreds of dollars from building them from scratch)

[​IMG]

they are konami cabinets. all the wiring is still there as well as teh double coin slots!!!! less money for me to have to spend.
    I have big plans for this cabinet. Designing the control panel now.

anyone have one of these monsters? post them pix up!

2. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    [​IMG]

There's mine. Not my pic, but that's the one [​IMG]. Mortal Kombat II baby [​IMG]

Nice pickup Myke! I got an ArcadeVGA and a jPAC + adapter to go with my JAMMA cabs. Still a bit scared about wiring in all the stuff and hooking it up to a PC, but I gotta save up for a decent PC for my cab anyway [​IMG]

3. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    you don't need a decent pc for a cabinet! =) that's the beauty! that is unless you want to emulate stuff like ps1 n64 dreamcast etc etc.
    sweet dude a mortal kombat cabinet! They had a couple at the place where I got mine.
    the reason I got mine is because it has a hell of a tilt for the monitor (I like to look down at the monitor when I'm using an arcade machine),and I can fit up to a 27 inch monitor in that bad boy.

4. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Yup, I just gotta get a pretty cheap mobo and CPU and that's about it [​IMG]. Yeah, those monitors are sick [​IMG]

5. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    are you gonna get one of those vid cards that that support old games and old monitors, or are you just gonna stick with a newer one?

if you are worried about wiring you should pick up this book...it's farely cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Project-Arcade-Build...3310&sr=8-1

I have had it for a couple of years now and it has helped a lot. it is the excellent companion guide when you are building. it's just like a bible for mame building. Referring to websites as well as LOTS of information on how to do everything from building to picking which controls to wiering to marquess panel layouts etc etc.

6. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Mine is a Killer Instinct cabinet. Same as the MKII except the superior Spinal side art. Those Midway cabs are great because they have tons of room inside and lots of control panel area and the large monitor of course. Original hardware is always the best but MAME is as close as you can get for a fraction of the cost.

7. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    I like mame better cuz all of a sudden instead of 1 game you have about 7000 XD (i mean of which quite a few are practically unplayable but still...my fullset is waiting to be put into the hard drive of the cabinet XD).

plus I think designing the control panel is the fun! They look like frankenpanels for mame. Start adding an extra 4 way a couple of knobs and a trackball, and you got an arcade cabinet from outer space [​IMG]

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I've got an cabinet (homemade) at my parents but there isn't a screen and the PC inside pretty much died but I'm gonna tend to it next year. Get four controllers on it, a trackball and a decent sized screen and I'll be happy.

Gonna find a new house/bunaglow to live in, make sure I've got a garage or a sturdy shed then keep it in there so when the Mrs and kid pisses me off I can escape.

How are PC lightguns and their compatibility with MAME and the other arcade emulators?

9. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
  10. Radio

Newcomer Radio Member

United Kingdom
    *insert drool emoticon here* I'd be interested in seeing your updates with this.

I'd love to build a cabinet but we have absolutely no space for one at the moment. It killed me seeing the arcade down the road chuck out and burn a load of old cabinets. (including a Point Blank dedicated cabinet [​IMG] ) If I'd know I would have found a way to take one off their hands.

11. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    OMG blasphemy!

they could have been sold!

12. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Lucky you!
    I know old arcades give them away if you bring a truck or something to pick them up.

You should totally paint them into something stylish before you start adding guts.
    Good luck with it yo.

13. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    yeah I'm planning on it, lots of work to do. And with real work in the mix, there's not much time on my days off to do it.

14. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    If I can ask, where did you get those? An old arcade or a theme park or something? I'm curious where to look around.

15. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Make a post in rec.games.video.arcade.collecting about wanting an empty cabinet. Just give your general area. If you live near a metro area you can probably find someone giving them away for free.

16. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States

I looked on craig's list. Found this dude locally who had his garage just completely loaded with cabinets. there must have been like 70 cabinets crammed in there
    cool dude too.

17. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    I finally got all the parts together. have the PC, have the buttons and joysticks, have all the lexan, now I just gotta glue together the control panels, drill the holes, and finish painting the sides.
    I haven't finished it yet but one side is 70% done. Painting baby akuma and baby dan from puzzlefighter on each side. this is akuma's.
    [​IMG]

18. bloodbros

Newcomer bloodbros Newbie

Australia
    Nice side art. I am going to build a bar-top cab myself oneday. Has all the plan and know where to get all the parts. Just need the space at home. [​IMG]

BTW, you might have a look at his link to see how NOT to build your cab:

http://www.disorder.org/crapmame/

19. bloodbros

Newcomer bloodbros Newbie

Australia
    Nice side art. I am going to build a bar-top cab myself oneday. Has all the plan and know where to get all the parts. Just need the space at home. [​IMG]

BTW, you might have a look at his link to see how NOT to build your cab:

http://www.disorder.org/crapmame/

20. Myke
    OP

Member Myke so tasty!

United States
    lol that site is hilarious