Malware Warning?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by FusionGamer, May 6, 2016.

1. FusionGamer
    OP

FusionGamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2014
    United States
    See image attached.

Attached Files:

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Comfortably Numb

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    This is normal.

Exploits are technically malwares.
    Ignore the warning and enjoy.

3. FusionGamer
    OP

FusionGamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2014
    United States

4. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    That is because there is no difference, technically speaking, between what the Wii U homebrew exploit does and what dodgy websites and ads do to install spyware and ransomware and other crap on your computer just by visiting a website. The only difference is the payload, with that Wii U package the security exploit is used to run homebrew rather than spyware/ransomware/etc.

Yes, in this case it is benign "malware" but antivirus software has no way of telling that, and in most cases for the vast majority of people the presence of such an exploit means something is trying to hack into their computer to install something bad.

Last edited by nl255, May 6, 2016
    FusionGamer likes this.
  5. tjhooker73

tjhooker73 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    Just turn off real time protection. Put the files on the SD card, disconnect the SD card and then reconnect it and it won't pop up with warnings with real time protection off.

brienj likes this.
  6. Pokepicker

Pokepicker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    Norway
    Disabling real time protection is not the best move. Yes, it quits removing your exploits, but it also allows any other exploit you might come over to work.

I'd guess most kind of antivirus/malware software will let you set up an exception. I put my WWW folder on the exception list, and now I'm sure to extract files directly into the WWW folder. Otherwise my security software starts removing them.

7. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Real time protection is for people that don't know how to use computers and don't know how to manually scan files they download and don't know how to stay off websites they shouldn't be going to. Most realtime virus protection is as bad if not worse than a virus itself.

8. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Well, you know...real time protection doesn't contain any exploit code, so, it's probably not that bad....