Making Mario Kart DS Multiplayer/Online

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Digit-Aria, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Digit-Aria
    OP

Digit-Aria Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2015
    United States
    Firstly, I apologize if this subject has been covered before, but as a new member I'm not entirely sure where to look or how to phrase my question to know if it's been covered before.

I would like to play certain Virtual Arcade titles through my Wii U, but they unfortunately lack certain functionality components that made them originally so great. These games are the GBA Mario Kart: Super Circuit and DS Mario Kart.

Is anyone aware of a means through which these titles can be modded to allow local two-players or at least online two-player capabilities? I don't have much interest in playing either game without another human player involved.

Margen67 likes this.
  2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    When the kernel exploit comes out, you should (hopefully) be able to use Caffiine to patch calls for servers/remove restrictions on the rom looking for servers, then point it to a custom one manually through the game settings (in the case of Mario Kart DS. Super Circut will take something a bit fancier) /speculation

NWPlayer123, could you verify this statement and tell me how wrong I am? XD

Margen67 likes this.
  3. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Uh, maybe. I'm not sure how online infrastructure works, but should be possible to build a backend for it to Wiimmfi.

4. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'm hoping so, because it doesn't support it by default (it looks like Nintendo went out of their way to make sure that no online would work with MKDS)

5. Digit-Aria
    OP

Digit-Aria Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the comments. I'm not especially tech-informed, but it seemed to me that in the case of Mario Kart DS and similar games it should theoretically be possible to enable functionality considering it originally had it. Turning on and redirecting a signal should be easier than having to create one whole-cloth.

6. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    I thought the DS multiplayer service was gone?

7. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I just realized there might be an issue with using Caffiine: It doesn't look like the Virtual Console games even have access to the WiFi module/USB ports for the network adapter, and I don't believe you can add permissions to a game or app without an IOSU exploit...

8. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Officially, but there are things like Brainslug and Wiimmfi to keep it alive

Margen67 and KingBlank like this.