Making better walkthrough videos?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by the_randomizer, May 31, 2015.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I had some questions I've been wanting to ask about making walkthrough videos for YouTube using Splinter Cell, nVidia Shadowplay and actually doing these right. What I mean is I see people do guides of games and they seemingly play through an entire level without dying. However, I recently have been trying a crack at it, recording me playing through PC games without making too many mistakes, more importantly, without getting killed during the gameplay.

The problem is every time I record, I end up failing the level/mission and well, wanted to see what pointers or tips I can do when I capture video, if that makes any sense. Are there effective ways to play and record better? The reason I ask also, is that I hate to break up video into multiple videos and having to combine them, it's too much of a hassle, that, and I have other video snippets that contain the parts where I screwed up. Should I record commentary as I play or add it in afterwards?

Thanks in advanced ^_^

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I'm not exactly a Youtube video maker or anything, but maybe add the commentary in post, and stitch together points of interest in the level, rather than showing the entire level? If you're trying to make a walkthrough for a game like an FPS or something that isn't an RPG/platformer (basically a game where exploration is encouraged), I doubt it's essential to show every nook and cranny, given how linear a lot of games are anymore, and it would be easier to record those smaller segments.

the_randomizer likes this.
  3. the_randomizer
    OP

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Hmm, I suppose what I meant is like the walkthrough videos that show entire levels, not all aspects but taking time. One person comes to mind is Centerstrain01 and his Splinter Cell videos, he plays the entire levels, but I've seen him split the levels up into two segments or so. If that makes any sense, and he does voice over commentaries as he plays. I don't have any FPS games to be brutally honest, but I just don't know i can do this if I keep getting hurt or killed in the videos,,, you know? I appreciate your feedback, I really do, that, and i'm kinda self-conscious on how my voice sounds to me in video, heh.