• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Ransomware attack worldwide at the moment.

image.jpeg

looks like the world is being attacked by a very serious Ransomware virus.

so far UK, US, China, Russia, Spain and many more data's being hold to Ransom. its called WannaCry. and affects windows computers.

The infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers.

Most other malicious programmes rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code.

By contrast, once WannaCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too.

Some experts say the attack may have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that had been identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Last edited by Chary,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These 19 pages of brawling made me want to try Linux again. I know I'll regret it though, because of hardware incompatibility.

When people actually write drivers that actually work with more hardware worth a damn, maybe I'll switch over. But until those are ironed out, nothing doing.

D

Deleted User

Isn't this the same exploit that Google published because Microsoft wouldn't fix it within a requested period of time? I think Google should be held responsible for inciting a worldwide cyber attack to blackmail their competitors. People could be dying because of Google's recklessness.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't this the same exploit that Google published because Microsoft wouldn't fix it within a requested period of time? I think Google should be held responsible for inciting a worldwide cyber attack to blackmail their competitors. People could be dying because of Google's recklessness.

Well, Google uses Android, Android is based off of Linux, so, there's that going for it.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it isn't. Google did publish a different exploit a week ago regarding Windows Defender, but the publication was after Microsoft published definition updates that fixed the problem. (Google contacted Microsoft regarding the problem as part of Project Zero.)

This vulnerability is from the NSA exploits that were leaked a few months ago. If you want someone to hold responsible, it's the NSA.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +more
D

Deleted User

No, it isn't. Google did publish a different exploit a week ago regarding Windows Defender, but the publication was after Microsoft published definition updates that fixed the problem. (Google contacted Microsoft regarding the problem as part of Project Zero.)

This vulnerability is from the NSA exploits that were leaked a few months ago. If you want someone to hold responsible, it's the NSA.
Thanks for clearing that up.
NSA should be held responsible if they don't catch the leaker.

Last edited by ,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
These 19 pages of brawling made me want to try Linux again. I know I'll regret it though, because of hardware incompatibility.
What kind of oddball hardware are you running? Because Linux can run just about any hardware.

Reactions: Deleted User

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
When people actually write drivers that actually work with more hardware worth a damn, maybe I'll switch over. But until those are ironed out, nothing doing.

I think Linux has potential.. But the amount of inconsistencies and lack of compatibility make it a waste of time for some people. The diehards claiming it works great obviously have different uses. Tried it for two weeks... After a year hiatus... The same problems, especially with video drivers..

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Linux has potential.. But the amount of inconsistencies and lack of compatibility make it a waste of time for some people. The diehards claiming it works great obviously have different uses. Tried it for two weeks... After a year hiatus... The same problems, especially with video drivers..

That's the clincher, the deal-breaker, the nightmare with Opitmus uses on laptops, GPU drivers in general, yeah, until they get their act together, I refuse to use it again. I tried Ubuntu in the past on my Chromebook, but haven't used it since *shrug*.

D

Deleted User

Can you be more specific? What's wrong with the drivers?

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of oddball hardware are you running? Because Linux can run just about any hardware.
An Rx480 graphics card with HDMI output to my TV. The unofficial/community driver doesn't support HDMI audio and the official driver gives me problems. Plus, there doesn't seem to be too many choices for distros on amd's site, so my choices are limited as to which distro I even get to pick. I actually think I got Ubuntu running nicely once though, I wonder why I dropped it. I think I had messed up the installation and got errors every other time my system started. I'll try it out eventually.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The free version of MBAM doesn't have those hooks because it doesn't support real time scanning. That being said, I just use virustotal for anything I am concerned about and for anything potentially dangerous there is either a VM or sandboxie.
I recommend Malwr over VT if you want a proper scan. It uses the Cuckoo sandbox which you can also setup on a local VM if you so desire.

Reactions: Kioku

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you be more specific? What's wrong with the drivers?

Driver compatibility issues, nVidia Optimus is a big issue on laptop users, i.e., the GPU doesn't switch properly, can't be forced to use integrated when it needs to be or dedicated when it needs to be. In general, hardware drivers are a joke on Linux, not as robust as Windows support for drivers. The nightmare of trying to get non-Linux friendly drivers to install, the list goes on. Linux and nVidia don't mix well, and that's a deal breaker. Sorry.

Can it run Source Filmmaker and other Valve software? No, it doesn't.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
ITT Linux users aggressively circlejerk to the only moment in time they could ever.

Come back next week when we return to our regular programming of crying over games not being released for Linux and them needing to dualboot into Windows.
Eventually people grow up and learn that modern video games are boring and how silly of an excuse they are to keep Windows.

An Rx480 graphics card with HDMI output to my TV. The unofficial/community driver doesn't support HDMI audio and the official driver gives me problems. Plus, there doesn't seem to be too many choices for distros on amd's site, so my choices are limited as to which distro I even get to pick. I actually think I got Ubuntu running nicely once though, I wonder why I dropped it. I think I had messed up the installation and got errors every other time my system started. I'll try it out eventually.
The AMD drivers aren't distro specific, just the RPM and DEB packages are. You can download the binary installer and execute it through a terminal on any distro no problem. As far as HDMI audio goes you can get it working with Pulse.

I'm seriously considering offering Linux classes over Discord or something. A decade of experience should go to some kind of use.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Uh, yes it can. Valve's library was the first to be ported. L4D2 was actually the proof of concept and it was found that their stuff runs better on Linux than Windows.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The AMD drivers aren't distro specific, just the RPM and DEB packages are. You can download the binary installer and execute it through a terminal on any distro no problem. As far as HDMI audio goes you can get it working with Pulse.

I'm seriously considering offering Linux classes over Discord or something. A decade of experience should go to some kind of use.
You just blew my mind. If you do end up offering Linux classes, I'll definitely check it out.

D

Deleted User

I've never had your problems, and most of your drivers would probably be dealt with a driver manager of some sort.

And yes, it can run almost all valve software lol

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had your problems, and most of your drivers would probably be dealt with a driver manager of some sort.

And yes, it can run almost all valve software lol

Source Filmmaker is 3D program for animating, preeetty sure that doesn't work on Linux though. And I use it a lot, so it's kind of a deal beaker. I'm fine with Windows, there'd be no advantage for me personally. YMMV.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

What, Linux? I have more problems finding hardware that doesn't work nowadays. BSD, on the other hand...

Eventually people grow up and learn that modern video games are boring and how silly of an excuse they are to keep Windows.

Heh. Well, with few exceptions. Most smart companies have started to use OpenGL rather than DirectX and WINE's DirectX11 implementation has been making strides the past few releases.

Source Filmmaker is 3D program for animating, preeetty sure that doesn't work on Linux though. And I use it a lot, so it's kind of a deal beaker. I'm fine with Windows, there'd be no advantage for me personally. YMMV.

You're right in that there's no native version (seriously Valve?) but well...WINEHQ.

Platinum. In other words, zero WINE fudging required.

Driver compatibility issues, nVidia Optimus is a big issue on laptop users, i.e., the GPU doesn't switch properly, can't be forced to use integrated when it needs to be or dedicated when it needs to be. In general, hardware drivers are a joke on Linux, not as robust as Windows support for drivers. The nightmare of trying to get non-Linux friendly drivers to install, the list goes on. Linux and nVidia don't mix well, and that's a deal breaker. Sorry.

Hybrid graphics is architecturally flawed in the first place. The only "drivers" (really kernel modules) that pose an issue are NVidia ones, since they've actively stifled development of the FOSS replacement. On the other hand, you can use amdgpu or radeon with negligible performance loss (5-10%) compared to amdgpu-pro or firegl.

I have a hybrid laptop (with a FirePro.) I deliberately use amdgpu drivers, because I get essentially free offloading via DRI_PRIME=1, which is impossible with the proprietary drivers. Instead, I'd have to use optirun to start an entire X server on the second card and copy framebuffers over a socket.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What, Linux? I have more problems finding hardware that doesn't work nowadays. BSD, on the other hand...

Heh. Well, with few exceptions. Most smart companies have started to use OpenGL rather than DirectX and WINE's DirectX11 implementation has been making strides the past few releases.

You're right in that there's no native version (seriously Valve?) but well...WINEHQ.

Platinum. In other words, zero WINE fudging required.

Hybrid graphics is architecturally flawed in the first place. The only "drivers" (really kernel modules) that pose an issue are NVidia ones, since they've actively stifled development of the FOSS replacement. On the other hand, you can use amdgpu or radeon with negligible performance loss (5-10%) compared to amdgpu-pro or firegl.

I have a hybrid laptop (with a FirePro.) I deliberately use amdgpu drivers, because I get essentially free offloading via DRI_PRIME=1, which is impossible with the proprietary drivers. Instead, I'd have to use optirun to start an entire X server on the second card and copy framebuffers over a socket.

I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion expressing why i personally don't want to use Linux. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: We had Raising Canes chicken for the first time other night, damn that was good. That sauce was...