MAIO: Moonshell All-in-One for Acekards

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by CannonFoddr, Mar 19, 2010.

Mar 19, 2010
  1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] 'Moonshell All-in-One' [ F.Y.I. I'm pronouncing it as {may-o} ]
    Some Very Important Notes:
    I am NOT a programmer - all I've done is gathered together files that other (proper) programmers have done
    so PLEASE no PM's asking if I can do 'this-or-that' into 'such-&-such' especially if it involves any type of programming.
    I'm not using the Acekard as much now (moved to a DSTwo) so don't expect MAIO to be updated as soon as a new AKAIO comes out - It'll get updated if/when I get time
    ....or you could do it yourself (see 'For Regular Users of MAIO...' below)

About the latest Moonshell 2.1 'Child Zwai' editon:
    Apparently at this time there is no known way to use Moonshell2 'Child Zwai' version (as it needs a different 'overlay' file) with AKAIO to make a MAIO v4.xx, so please don't keep asking why there's no version for it

Info about the latest AK2i Firmware Update (Chessmaster Icon showing on DSi/3DS [​IMG] )
    Since the new AK2i '3DS-Firmware fix' for DSi firmware 1.4.2 - it's been noticed that the top screen does not show when booting up MAIO on a DSi.
    (Booting into AKAIO & back again will bring the screen back)
    ADDITIONAL: IF you HAVE updated your Ak2i & still want to use MAIO on a DSi(XL) - Mantis41 has produced a 'workaround' version. I've included it in the MAIO v3.xx download section below
    UPDATE 04-07-11: There is now a fix for those who have updated their Ak2i to work on DSi v1.4.2 but want the original MAIO v3.06 (i.e MY version & not Mantis41 'workaround' version).
    Please use MAIO v3.06.1 in the download section below

For those who have a R4 or M3 card
    'Mantis41' has developed a pack for those cards Here and​
    'sauske_firekid is currently developing another 'MAIO for R4/M3 cards' pack over here.​
    (He is looking for people to try out on as any of those types of cards as possible, so pop over & see if you can help out :yaynds:)​
    Please note: Mantis41 version is for genuine R4,R4iGold and R4iDS cards using a 'Wood base'​
    'sauske_firekid' version is (mainly) for R4 'clones' & uses a 'YSMenu' base​

Updates
    Archive

Works/Don't Work on
    Those that work
    Proven NOT to work

Introduction

By using a combination of Xenon++ and Normatt's fixes and loaders there is now a way to boot straight into Moonshell2 on an Acekard2i WITHOUT loading AKAIO first & getting it to Autorun Moonshell..
    The (lucky) Acekard RPG and 2.1 users only had to rename Moonshell to 'akmenu4.nds',
    while us unlucky Acekard 2i users ended up with a 'System Files missing' message instead.
    So while we're waiting for akShell to appear (if it ever does) - what I've done is create a 'package' (I'm calling it 'MAIO' for short - as in 'Moonshell All-In-One') that contains all the files,fixes and loaders already set up so that all you have to do is Unzip & copy over

But first a couple of Warnings/Disclaimers

Don't replace AKAIO (without following the proper steps below) or replace Moonshell2.09 with 2.1
    - The Fixes and loaders only work with the versions included in MAIO. Changing them will cause loss of Commercial ROM Running

Because it contains AKAIO 1.5.1 (MAIO 1.00/v2.00 only) some of the more recent games WILL NOT WORK - so don't complain !!!
    You will have to wait until new fixes & loaders are made that are compatible with AKAIO 1.6 for those games to work
    (N.B. MAIO V2.01 Now Avaliable with 1.6RC2 support)

Certain files have been DLDI patched with 'Acekard 2' libraries - may not work on Acekard R.P.G
    For Regular Users of MAIO who want to update to the latest AKAIO
    Right that's out of the way....Now onto the package

Installation
    Download any of the following:

MAIO v1.xx - Containing Moonshell 2.09
    MAIO v2.xx - Containing Moonshell 2.1beta9, NO custom 'splash.ani'
    MAIO v3.xx - Containing Moonshell v2.1 Stable, NO custom splash.ani
    • Unzip the files & copy directly to your Acekard 2i MicroSD card root directory
    You should end up on your root directory:-
    _aio (folder) - AKAIO system folder
    dustbox (folder) - Moonshell 'Trashcan'
    moonmemo (folder) - Moonshell 'Memo' folder
    moonshl2 (folder) - Moonshell system Folder
    akmenu4.nds (file) - Acekard2i DLDI patched Xenon++ moonshl2alt.nds loader
    moonshl2.nds (file) - Moonshell 2.09/2.1beta9/2.1Stable (depending on version installed) run file
    Installation.txt (file) - Some last minute information
    VoiceRec (folder) - ONLY if you installed MAIO >= v2.00, used for the Voice recorder accessory
    akaio.nds (File) - Only in MAIO V2.01/ >= v3.00 (>= 1.6RC2/1.7 Support version)
    akaio.aio (File) - Only in MAIO V2.01/ >= v3.00 (>= 1.6RC2/1.7 Support version)
    MS2 Skins (folder) - Only in MAIO v1.01/v3.01 (& above), Folder containing additional moonshell skins
    mselink.exe (File) <= [PLEASE DELETE THIS - IT IS NOT NEEDED, IT WAS ACCIDENTALLY ADDED TO SOME PACKAGES]
    • Now add your ROMS,Music,Pictures,Homebrew etc to the MicroSD card - But NOT any of the folder/files mentioned above
    • That's it...Done !!!., Yep that's right - you've finished
    No mucking about with DLDI patches, or 'renaming this to that' etc etc

Read me - included in package but repeated here
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Screenshots/Video
    Video showing Moonshell booting straight away and file launching
    Screenshots of MAIO skin

Buglist and Changelog
    Known Bugs:-
    Changelogs

Credit where credit is due
    • Moonlight: For producing Moonshell2
    • The AKAIO team: For producing AKAIO
    • Normatt: For his extra work producing 'hacks' to allow ROM's to run from moonshell2
    • Taiju (formally known as Xenon++): For the numerous program(s) he's contributed towards Moonshell2
    • JurrasicPlayer: For supplying some modified Taiju files
    • twiztidsinz & Mantis41: For alternative MAIO's with stuff I've 'borrowed' to include in my own MAIO packs
    • Vampirex, ceteksretek, ~Stenny, riverchen: For testing MAIO on other flashcards & letting me know
    • 'The unknown Temper': For supplying [better] alternative graphics for Moonshell (I'm sorry I've lost your PM to me so I've forgotten your name)
    • All the developers who made the Homebrew that have been included in MAIO
    • To all the Testers who have tried it out on their cards & posted their results
    • To anyone else who's contributed in any way & I've forgotten to mention
    ‚Äč

Margen67 and tonybologna like this.

2. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    Nice post Foddr [​IMG]
    No more hustle!
    Just hopping Normatt or Xenon or anybody really will figure out how to get it to work with moonshell 10 and akaio 1.6.
    Anyway, great post man!

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Can Moonshell 2.10 load ROMs -- without Xenon++'s mnshl2wrap?

@Cannonfoddr: How did you (or someone else? o.O) go about doing this?
    And what is the limitation that keeps it from being done for AKAIO 1.6?

4. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    All the fixes can be found in various posts on GBATemp

For allowing Moonshell2 to be run straight away
    - I used Xenon++ moonshl2alt.nds' loader (from his 'mshl2tools' pack - latest is avalible from Here) DLDI patched it with Acekard 2 libraries and renamed it to 'akmenu4.nds' & replaced the existing AKAIO version of 'akmenu4.nds' in the root of the card

For allowing Moonshell2.09 to run commercial ROM's
    - I used Normmatt's Moonshell '2.09fix' , which consisted of a modified 'overlay.dll' (Placed inside '/moonshl2/internal/' folder)
    - I also used Normatt's 'nds.akaio.nds' loader, renamed to '_hn.HugeNDSLoader.nds' and another copy of it was renamed to '_vh.VeryHugeNDSLoader.nds' (placed in 'moonshl2/extlink/' folder)

[Note: For 'Moonshell 2.1beta9' I needed to use Xenon++ 210b9fix instead of Normmatt's 2.09 fix]
    [I'm hoping to add THAT package later - once/if I figure out what causing the splash.ani in 2.1b9 to go wrong]

The rest of 'MAIO' is just the standard installations of AKAIO and Moonshell 2.09, with a few extra's that I've done - that's mentioned in the Instruction.txt' file in the package

5. hackotedelaplaqu

Member hackotedelaplaqu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Does soft reset behaves normaly with this ?

6. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    yes

7. 798-Icebird

Newcomer 798-Icebird Advanced Member

Netherlands
    YAY a autoboot that works with AK2i!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    the "akmenu4.nds" works also 4 moonshell 2.1 but I can't wait 4 a crack of moonshell2.1 and a nds.akaio.nds that works on akAIO 1.6 cuz I need 1.6 when I want 2 play pokemon soulsilver and I like the changes of moonshell 2.1 really much [​IMG]
    But anyway, THX 4 the autobooting moonshl2 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I need 2 do it with the exit to firmware bottom (NEED to PUSH 2 more bottoms!!!!!!! [​IMG] )

8. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    If I understand you right - you DON'T want to use 'reset to firmware' to boot to AKAIO

Well try this little tip:
    • Get the 'akmenu4.nds' from AKAIO 1.5.1 download
    • Rename it to something like 'AKAIO.nds'
    • Copy it to the root of your card
    Now if you want to boot to AKAIO from within Moonshell you can select 'AKAIO.nds', press [A] - & it'll boot to AKAIO

9. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I think he's asking to be able to use Moonshell's "Exit to Firmware" to go back to AKAIO.
    In that case, what you need to do is put AKAIO's NDS file into \moonshl2\resetmse\ and rename it to your cards DLDINAME.NDS

ex:
    SCDS.nds => for SuperCard DS One
    CEVO.nds => for CycloDS
    DLMS.nds => for DSLink
    R4TF.nds => for R4
    M3DS.nds => for M3 Real

10. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    It's already set up to do that in my package [akmenu4.nds => RPGS.nds BTW] as shown in the video @ ~30secs

I think he was complaining that he has to push 1 button [Start], then press another button (D-Pad) to select 'reset to firmware', then press [A] to get it to AKAIO - instead of just selecting 'AKAIO.nds' and just press [A]

EDIT: Oh - I've also updated first post - there's now a 'Moonshell2.1beta9' version of MAIO avaliable (Don't ask if there's a '2.1final' yet - 'cos there's still no update on a fix for it)

11. 798-Icebird

Newcomer 798-Icebird Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I just use the back 2 firmware file that is included by the moonshell2tools package of xenon++
    Had that already working and works fine.

12. janouis

Member janouis GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    tnx to dis cannonfoddr... how do i add movie covers in 2.09 i saw ur video before u play ur movie the upper screen displays an image or it is only in the gui settings?

13. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    I didn't (Are we talking the first video (Children in need) or the one at the end (The TunaVid AVI one) BTW ??)
    - it apparently comes up automatically. I'll check by decoding another video & see what happens & confirm/deny this for you

EDIT: I'm back & I can confirm - the picture appears automatically for DPG videos

I downloaded a FLV file from Youtube and 'Click-&-Dragged' it onto the DPGencoder from 2.09 moonshell
    Placed the created DPG onto Acekard & started up, when I browsed to it - there it was

14. janouis

Philippines
    k tnx... that's strange i convert a avi file into dpg in im too converter but i don't have the image at the top of the screen...or should i use the dpgencoder? how is the quality of the video using dpgencoder?

15. env

Member env GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    @skinlord: just use the current dpgenc.exe when converting vids [​IMG]

16. janouis

Philippines
    @env: i'll try to use that...which is better dpgence or dpgencoder or there the same???

17. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sorry took so long.... anyway at first I thought it might be I used FLV & you used AVI - but just tried it with an AVI & that also comes up with picture on top screen

I've then had a look at the DPGEncoder of MS 2.09 & under the menubar > Showlog - you get a log window that pops up with a button that's called [Get Thumbnail image].
    I never pressed this (I didn't even know about it) - so I guess it 'took one' automatically, so I guess it IS the DPGEncoder that does the Thumbnail

As for quality - I think it depends on the video used:

* The Children in need video was a HD one downloaded off of Youtube - I'm having difficulty finding any 'blockiness' on playback
    * Nieces video (downloaded Off of Youtube) - you can see some blockyness in it, especially if you pause it
    * Still Camera (video grab) - Can't see any blockiness but I think there's a slight blurring effect but it doesn't actually seem worse than the Youtube video I made from it

18. env

Member env GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    dpgenc is just short for DPG Encoder
    The current dpgenc.exe found in moonshell 2.03?-2.10 package produce DPG4 videos, which already included thumbnail image if you convert a video(any format) from it.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    oops, already off-topic, @foddr: I'm sorry! [​IMG] nice thread though, I'm using this on the future [​IMG]

19. Xenon++

Member Xenon++ Taiju Yamada

Japan
    You can have a look at my inilink/iniclear (in new mshl2tools) to autoboot AKAIO

20. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hmm I've had a look (still a bit confused over HOW to use it) but doesn't this still use your NDSLink workaround ?? (having to run a BAT each time you load a game)
    I think I'll wait until either yoy,Normmatt or some1 else comes up with a 'nds.akaio.nds' loader for 1.6/Modified overlay method for Moonshell 2.1final
    - that way no mucking about with remembering to run the *.BAT

Thanks for the info though