M3i0 Led on while IN the DS

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Mylar, Feb 3, 2010.

?

Will I...

1. Be able to fix it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Need to get a new card.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Need to get a new son.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Feb 3, 2010

M3i0 Led on while IN the DS by Mylar at 9:26 PM (2,073 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Mylar
    OP

Newcomer Mylar Advanced Member

United States
    I loved my M3i0, so I bought them for my whole family.

Last night my wife's stopped working. When she booted the DS (a DSlite) nothing came up.

I figured something was just seated incorrectly as she had let my son play with it earlier. I took out the flash card, took out the microSD, put them back together and reinserted the flash card.

This time when I turned it on my wife yelled "turn it off, it's glowing!" [​IMG] (She was not around when I flashed them and was not aware of the LED...)

Sure enough, the LED is lit, solid, while the DS is on, and the DS acts as if no card is inserted.

I pulled it all out, tossed her microSD into my son's M3i0 and put it back in her DS and it all came up just fine.

Put an old 2G microSD that I have homebrew on into her M3i0, put it in my DS (also a DSlite) and same thing. creepy red glow from the back of my DS with nothing booting.

It's not her DS
    It's not her MicroSD

Something in the M3i0 died, and it's probably my son's fault.... but what on earth could he have done to it to get this to happen?

Anyone know what a solid lit LED while inserted into a DS means? I didn't see any mention of it on the M3 forums. Thought I'd ask here before bothering to make an account there to ask for support.

2. g6team

Member g6team GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    There were no Core file on the Microsd right?

3. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    dang it you beat me to the punch on updating in your ds. you should put it in your computer and take off the FCORE.dat file and it should work

4. DCG

Member DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    are you saying it was flashing itself?

5. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    ^yes that is exactly what they are saying

6. Mylar
    OP

United States
    There was no core file on that microsd card, not sure what was up with the glow.

Took it apart and questioned the boy after finding what looked like teethmarks on the edge of the card and noticing something odd with the white portion of the label.

He put it in his mouth.

WTF?

No reason why... He just did.

He's getting ready to turn 4 and (I thought) had outgrown the put everything in his mouth stage a couple years ago.

Opened the case (most of the way, one of the top corners would not seperate, but spun around almost like there was a plastic rivet or sink pole holding the top corner on. It swiveled enough for me to expose the electronics, some of which were still damp.

Dried it out with a hair dryer, left it over night.

Today I closed it back up and it still did not work. Tossed the Fcore onto a microSD to re flash it using the usb cable... nothing happened.

Stuck it into a DSlite and the LED flashed for a few seconds as it reinstalled the core and YAY, working card again.

So, that became my son's card, and his mother is now using the one that used to be his, that has not been chewed. Of course, even though his "new" card is working again, he will not actually be allowed to use if for a bit. Grounded from all forms of electronic entertainmet for two weeks.

Girls are so much easier. My daughter never pulled crap like this.

7. bluejays

Member bluejays GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    =) then i will probably make a back up and try it tomorrow then.

8. DCG

Netherlands
    I think he wont chew on something plastic again [​IMG]

9. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    This whole incident brought up a thought, specifically when I read this sentence:
    Doesn't that mean that the slightly fragile flashing cable is totally unneeded xD? If we can just dump the FCORE.DAT on the microSD, I believe the cable just sends power to the M3iZero (I think I read it somewhere, but I'm not sure), then maybe the cable isn't superbly needed.

10. Mylar
    OP

United States
    I used the cable to the the Fcore onto all of them in the first place. I did not know that the DS would power that function of the card.

Technically I'm still not sure the DS is supposed to power that function. Remember, this is a damaged card we are talking about. The update cable method did not work for it anymore, not sure what all else got shorted out, fried, or cross connect melted during the application of saliva and teeth that the poor thing underwent.

11. DCG

Netherlands
    some of the other dsi cards also use the power of the ds/dsi to install the firmware, so I think the cable was "introduced" to refrain from "wasting" the power of the ds/dsi.