Hacking M3i Zero and help with sleep mode (NOT a shutdown problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakdas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just recently got an M3i Zero, one of the supposed new batch that just came out. The thing flashed without a hitch and plays nearly everything perfectly in my XL. But I'm having an issue with sleep mode. I did some google searching and found some topics here, but they all have to do with the system shutting down if you put it in sleep mode. I'm not having that problem. My problem is it doesn't go fully into sleep mode and stay there. The screen starts to flicker and the sound continues to play very sporatically, like somebody is pausing and unpausing it really fast. Nor does the battery indicator on my XL dim. After testing it on my regular DSLite and with a game that plays a custom sleep sound, I deduced the problem: It's going in and out of sleep mode rapidly. The only time it ever seems to stick is if the charger is connected and the battery is completely full, but this only lasts like 5 minutes.

I'm wondering, has anybody else had this problem and knows whats causing it and how to fix it? I'm not really all that bothered by it if it can't. Just a bit annoyed, since my playstyle is to usually leave the system in sleep mode constantly when playing a game. I'm just afraid to put it in sleep mode because A) If it's coming on and off rapidly like that, it's not exactly conserving the battery, and B) I'm worried that the rapid on and off could damage the DS or something. Anybody have an idea what might be going on here?

Mukkor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a case protector, or stickers, or decals, or anything at all attached permanently or semi-permanently to your DS that could interfere with the case closing properly?

Have you ever opened the case on this DS, and if you have did you touch the top screen and/or speakers?

Which games were you trying? Could you/have you checked with a real copy of said game? Have you tried with other games (maybe it's a glitch with that game/antipiracy)?

If a real game or the DS menu goes fully into sleep mode, but on your M3 it does not (which I am assuming is the case) then either your M3 is sending an incorrect signal or your DS is right on the "trigger sleep mode" line as far as your M3 thinks. If your vcore and firmware are not up to date, update them too and see whether the problem is solved.

If all you need is for it to go to sleep right now, put a big honkin magnet on top of it. It won't hurt DS screens or the components, and it won't wipe your microSD unless you literally rub it on the magnet for a few hours.

EDIT: The big magnet should put it into sleep mode because the DS checks for the magnets in the speakers to see if the DS is closed. I'm not trying to get you to brick your DS.

Dakdas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply.

No, no tinkering with either DS of any kind. Both work perfectly and enter sleep mode on commercial games. I even tested it with a real game and its rom, the real game sleeps fine, the rom doesn't.

Firmware is 1.48 and the F_CORE is 1.6u. I suppose the one thing of note here is that when I first flashed it, I couldn't flash it with the 1.4u core, it just wouldn't go. I had initially chalked it up to a bad file, and when I tried the 1.6u, it worked perfectly. Also, the actual firmware on the XL is only 1.4u. But I'll also mention again that I've also got a regular old DSLite, and it's doing the same thing on that (and I did the same tests above on it too, just to be sure).

One other thing to note is that on the main sakura menu, if I put it in sleep mode, then the screen stays completely off with no flickering. But the battery indicator still doesn't change.

Like I said, I'm not super annoyed by it, but I wish it was something that could be fixed. At this point, I'm ready to chalk it up to partially faulty hardware, and research a bit more into the market before I jump in.

nodd

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have also exactly the same problem. I've purchased an m3i zero recently from a new stock, upgraded it to the newest firmware and when i close the lid on my DSi the screen keeps flickering as the topic starter noted.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
m3sakura is designed to not go into sleepmode.
this is so you can listen to music without keeping it open all the time.

and that the older fw didn't work on your m3i might be because they made a few hardware changes in the m3i's recently and the newer versions only work on what currently is the latest fcore, and firmware.

nodd

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
thedicemaster said:
m3sakura is designed to not go into sleepmode.
this is so you can listen to music without keeping it open all the time.

It works well when you close the lid in sakura main menu. I mean it doesn't fall into sleep mode but it turns the screens off as expected and you can enjoy music. But in games, on the contrary, the screens don't turn off completely, they start flickering. that's the problem.

egomezpe

Trophies
XP
Country
nodd said:
It works well when you close the lid in sakura main menu. I mean it doesn't fall into sleep mode but it turns the screens off as expected and you can enjoy music. But in games, on the contrary, the screens don't turn off completely, they start flickering. that's the problem.

I have exactly the same problem. For example, in 'New super Mario bross', when you close the lid Mario says: 'bye bye', the screen turns off and the NDSi fall into sleep mode, and when you open it Mario says: 'it's me Mario'.

But with this problem, when you close the lid Marios says: 'bye bye ... it's me Mario ... bye bye ... it's me Mario ... bye bye ... it's me Mario ... ' ans you see the screen flickering.

vyperstrike

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still having the same problem. Looking up everything I could find, I think it's an issue with certain SD cards. I bought a new one, so I can confirm when I get home from the holidays and try it out. It should have shipped in the last week or so.

But I'm obviously still having the same issue.

/edit
New SD card, that is.

egomezpe

Trophies
XP
Country
vyperstrike said:
I'm still having the same problem. Looking up everything I could find, I think it's an issue with certain SD cards. I bought a new one, so I can confirm when I get home from the holidays and try it out. It should have shipped in the last week or so.

/edit
New SD card, that is.

So, with another card you don't have this problem? My card is a SDHC 4GB Kingston ...

nagaraya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vyperstrike said:

/edit
New SD card, that is.

Can I get info on what microSD card you bought

vyperstrike

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It didn't help. A Peak 8gb class 4. Basically a no name brand.

The end thought is it has nothing to do with SD cards, it's a hardware/software issue. Probably hardware, but that's my opinion.

piblow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also have this issue, where closing the lid causes the sleep mode to repeatedly enter and exit.

I have a DS Lite with an M3 with identical software on the microSD as a DSi XL with an M3i.

The DS/M3 combo has no issues, the DSiXL/M3i will not sleep correctly while running an application.

My DSi XL root system ver. is 1.4.1U and the F_CORE file is 1.6.1

Sounds like it would be something simple, like a timeout value or something, i dunno. Hope this helps get a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1