M3 DS Real or CycloDS Evolution?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by da1writer, Apr 12, 2009.

Apr 12, 2009
  1. da1writer
    OP

Newcomer da1writer Member

United States
    Hi there guys, I've been hovering around these forums/threads for a couple days now and thought I'd join already. First post of course and already got a question for you guys, it's mentioned in the very title of this new thread. Before you answer though, let me explain a bit of myself and the situation.

I've been in the hacking/homebrew scene for a while...
    A) Modded my Xbox (soldering)
    B) Hacked/replaced parts on my 360 (computer was also involved)
    C) 5 of my PSP's were hacked to 5.0 M33-6 (sold 4 of these recently on ebay)

I recently had a friend show me what he had done to his DS and I thought it was pretty cool. He showed me he could carry tons of GBA and DS game with him where he went and showed me emulators and homebrew as well. I liked how it was hackable like my PSP was and so I bought my very first DS yesterday. I went to my friend for help and asked for links to update the firmware into custom Firmware (whether through software or downgrading) and he shook his head. I then thought it was a mod chip I would have to buy and he shook his head again... showed me a card (R4 I believe) and something that looked like a GBA cartridge. He said I needed these and that's it, and advised two brands because his was "old" . The two he mentioned (and said were best) were the:

M3 DS Real or CycloDS Evolution

These two though have got me kinda worried...
    I've been doing some research and alot have said (reviewers) the CycloDS Evolution is the better pick but some things have me shying away from the idea...
    1) No updates since March (version 1.54)
    2) Forums have been down since March
    3) No one has heard from the team for a long time...
    4) Chinatown wars has a bit of freezing issues (unless you grab this ARM9 fix that I hear...)
    5) You need to get EZ 3in1 (sold separately) but only the Plus is available and only has partial support right now

On the other hand, M3 DS Real recently got a update just 2 days ago with 4.3c and includes a rumble/GBA pack with purchase (unlike the CycloDS Evolution).
    Doesn't mean it doesn't have it's faults either.
    1) Slowdown feature pauses games?
    2) Confusing different types of firmwares
    3) Real website out of date and wiki is strange to work with...
    4) RTS buggy
    5) Games like TWEWY and a few other games have issues/freezing

I would like to play ScummVM and GBA games (and do other things requiring more ram) but the ram/GBA pack is needed.
    In order to do that for CycloDS Evolution, I would have to buy the EZ 3in1 along with the CycloDS... making the total $70.
    In order to do that for M3 DS Real... well, depending on the bundle you grab... it's already ready at $45 altogether (from them).

This is my first time "soft-modding" a console, so please be open and honest...
    Which one would you recommend?

EDit: Sorry about the Triple Thread... just trying to get other to see it from other portions of the forum...

2. Lubbo

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    I would say get an M3 if you want to play GBA games also i was going to get a cyclo but then i read about M3 Sakura and i decided to get M3 Perfect Bundle Version (comes with GBA expansion and rumble pack) you wont regret getting an M3

3. taggart6

Member taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I guess the first question I have is what DS did you get?

DSi units are not compatible with either flash carts.

That said, if you want a total DS/GBA solution, then grab the M3 pack.

4. da1writer
    OP

United States
    ODid tons of research before going to get a DS, I knew the DSi's aren't really supported right now. So I grabbed the DS Lite NEW, guy from Gamestop looked at me funny and "tried" to convince me to get the DSi. Too bad for him I knew why I wanted the DS Lite and he had no clue why...
    Sorry for the rant there... anyone else have any recommendation between the two flashcarts...

5. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Go get the cyclo ds
    it supports the gba expansion
    and has a really good record of homebrew and online games

6. Golin

Member Golin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You might find some M3 bias here... since you posted this on the M3 Adapter forum, but I say M3 is the way to go. They've been in this business for a long long time and they don't look like they'll be disappearing any time soon.

7. da1writer
    OP

United States
    + Good GBA and good DS support
    + Newest Emulators/ Good emulators compatible
    + Great with Scummvm (version 0.13 w/ Full throttle)
    + Great/somewhat good with homebrew
    + Good RTS and Cheat support (want to rarely update cheats)

- Could careless about rumble, but it would be cool to have
    - Don't care about interface
    - Easy patching/ onboard patching

What Firmware are you using currently on M3 DS Real?
    What Moonshell should I have (link)?
    If I went with the M3, Would I need the GBAExpLoader?
    Any additional software would I need for either to be hip like you guys [​IMG] ?
    ^This question is more towards M3, readup on Trackpad and such...
    What additional programs would I need for the M3 to get it working right?

P.S. I was merely told CycloDS is the best due to reviewers...
    Due to what I'm looking for above in this post (not thread),
    what would you suggest PharaohsVizier?
    Sadly, I need to decide by next week... leaving on a trip soon... Please help [​IMG]...

8. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Basically you're going to go with the M3 with that list? For moonshell if you're going to get an M3 you can just use sakura firmware. It basically is moonshell but in firmware form. Moonshell can be found in the downloads section of GBAtemp. GBA Exploader isn't needed if you use the M3 expansion with it. Exploader is needed if you get a Cyclo and a 3 in 1.

9. da1writer
    OP

United States
    I currently don't have a favorite besides deciding between these two, I have no definite answer. I'm hoping, despite posting in the M3 portion of the forum, I get more answers like PharaohsVizier and others.

With what I stated/looking for, I should go for the M3 BoxShot [​IMG] ?

10. BoxShot

United States
    Well thats up to you. >.> I can't be bias lol since I don't own either cart. Do you have a budget for the cart?

11. da1writer
    OP

United States
    Well, Budget of cart is $70 (this includes Flashcart and expansion pack)...
    No memory is needed, I'm buying 8GB MicroSD in Bulk (of 10) from another website for other purposes including the DS...
    I might go for the M3 though due to it sounding like it's the best well rounded cart (I want to do more than DS games)...

P.S> It also seems there's a bigger fan base with the M3. I posted the same thread in the cycloDS forum and only got 1 reply. You guys flood me with replies here, which is a good thing [​IMG] !

12. Acenima

Member Acenima GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Get the cyclods more updates in future no worries

13. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Well, I have both carts, I use both carts very very much, and PharaohsVizier told you perfectly well..If you want best NDS AND GBA compatibility and functionality, go with the M3 Real Perfect Pack (it includes GBA expansion (this is the RAM addition needed for playing GBA games) and rumble pack (that's a really nice addition, but kinda useless)..
    I don't think that anybody mentioned, that M3 Real has unique features with it's GBA Expansion over CycloDS, you get GBA RTS (real time save), and cheats fro GBA games..And you can't get that on CycloDS in any combination..

Other good feature is the firmware itself, you said that you're not interested in look of it, so I'll go by the features, M3 Real has "dual" firmware in one, at the first booting, you choose if you want the older one or the new one (and you can switch at any given moments), Sakura is the newer GUI with media functions implemented in! You can watch movies, play music (MP3's), read eBooks or view pictures, all within GUI, without the need to run any additional homebrew..

On the other hand, if you're more interested in NDS games and better features for gaming, you should get CycloDS..It offers In-Game-Text (you can pause your game, and read text file, say walktrough, and then just continue playing, without the need to turn off your system, or close your game), RTS is same as M3 Reals, perfect (the best it can get), maybe even a bit better..

Both carts get updates often, and if it matters to you, M3 Team is actually an "old" experienced Team that exist from GBA hacking days, they produced the best GBA flashcart in the market!

EDIT: and please, ignore people like Acenima, he's just a fanboy that can't see further than his CycloDS!

14. da1writer
    OP

United States
    Wow Toni Plutonij, I think your explanation solidified my answer, I'll be grabbing the M3 DS Real!
    One more question before I buy it...
    What the heck is the RumbleRam Pack of the M3 DS Real?
    I like a bit of rumble but like you, it's not mandatory...
    I only ask because I haven't found an explanation yet and it is cheaper...

15. BoxShot

United States
    Rumble ram pack is just basically rumble and some ram but not enough to run gba games I think.

16. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Rumble Ram pack is actually a rumble expansion (slot 2 cart that has a little motor inside that rotates), it only works with games that have that option, mainly racing games!
    And that ram addition is actually a bit of ram so you can boot NDS Browser..Too bad it isn't enough for anything else..
    But when you buy Perfect pack, you get Rumble expansion, and GBA expansion (which is actually a RAM expansion) and you can use it for all homebrews and RM that actually DO need more RAM! So you're set!

EDIT: Just to clarify and simplify, RumbleRAM expansion WON'T give you a possibility to play GBA games! It doesn't have enough RAM, you have to get a Perfect Pack [​IMG]

17. da1writer
    OP

United States
    Thanks! I plan on joining you guys soon [​IMG]!
    What are some good sites to grab the M3 DS Real Perfect Bundle at the cheapest but fast shipping (US side)?
    I'm currently checking out Real Hot Stuff...

18. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    I must apologize for the bias, but I have full faith in the M3 Real. With the release of the new Sakura firmware, it blows the CycloDS out of the water at a cheaper price. If you combine the M3 Real with an EZ-Flash 3-in-1 expansion pack and get GBA ExpLoader, you can't go wrong with GBA and NDS games. Throw on a few emulators and you've got yourself a powerful portable game console. Add some music and video files and play them within Sakura without the need for MoonShell and you have the most complete handheld console known to man. I haven't run into a single problem with my M3 Real that I haven't been able to fix, and as you can see the fanbase around here is very quick to respond. I can personally recommend the M3 Real and I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed. [​IMG]

EDIT: Get the M3 Real from here. It's where I got mine and it's well worth it. Cheap, but really slow shipping. If that's not a big deal for you, then DealExtreme is your best choice.

19. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    No problem [​IMG]

I can only suggest two sites that are most commonly mentioned, Real Hot Stuff and DealWoot, both with fast shipping and reliable..

I myself always buy from DealExtreme, but you have to wait for two or more weeks for the product to reach you!

20. da1writer
    OP

United States
    Thanks, I agree that the fanbase is somewhat high in this portion of the forum, got quick responses (good ones at that) and you all convinced me!
    Plan on buying one this week...