Hacking Luma3DS 9.0 "ErrDisp" Error 0xf96183fe

shbek1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry in advance, I'm a total 3DS newb. I opened my 3DS up from sleep to be greeted "ErrDisp" Error code 0xf96183fe

It just rebooted back into the same error screen, although I could get into GodMode and Luma via Power + Start/Select. I can only find two relevant posts on this error (sorry, I can't post links, if you google "luma3ds error "0xf96183fe"", it comes up under gbatemp and reddit)

Possibly something to do with a 3D error? (I never use 3D anyway). Basically the fix involves commenting out a line in the boot.firm. One of the posts provided a working link to a modified boot.firm file, which I copied onto my SD card. It booted normally once, I rebooted to make sure all was well, but now I don't get an error, just a blank screen that never loads anything. I copied the old boot.firm back, and it still just gives me a black screen. I can still get into GodMode/Luma, and I tried following steps 1-7 for fixing a black screens on 3ds guide

I found this form:
Model of 3DS: New 3DS XL
Current OFW: 11.7
At what point did this error occurred? And if there is an error message, what does the message say? Waking from a sleeping game (Shin Megami Tensei IV, purchased from the eShop. Error message was "ErrDisp" and error Code: 0xf96183fe. Now it's booting into a black screen.
Last method of troubleshooting used? See above. I'm stumped as to what else I can try.
Can you still boot into B9S payloads, such as GodMode9? Yes
Did you have any previous patches to your NAND, such as region-free, TWL, or AGB patches? No.
Did you follow a youtube guide or 3ds.guide? 3ds.guide
Did you google search or search the forums before creating this thread? Yes.

Update:

I spent many hours on the Discord chat last night. I have:

- Followed all of Phlailtect's guides regarding black screens.

- Put the latest Luma3DS boot.firm on the SD and SysNAND, tried a modified boot.firm provided on Discord.

- Deleted the /luma/config.bin file / run Phlaitect's remove_extdata script. Repeatedly.

- Upgraded B9S following Phlaitect's guide (three times).

- Tried booting with the 3D on.

- Tried booting without the SD or a game cart inserted.

- Performed multiple SysNAND restores on GM9 and Decrypt, which completed sucessfully.

- Performed a CTRTransfer multiple times on GM9 and Decrypt, which completed sucessfully.

- Tried the 3DS recovery (which loads, but I have the latest update so that doesn't help me).

- Used a different SD to do all of the above again.

- Tried following Aurora's guide for installing clean titles, which I can't complete because I can't load the Home Menu.

Basically everything I've tried changed nothing, I have two black screens, a solid blue power light, and occasionally the yellow wifi light will pop on after certain procedures. Anything else I can try, or am I screwed until a new OFW comes out so I can do a recovery?

Last edited by shbek1,

shbek1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope so... I used it as an opportunity to grab a N2DS. I'll have a happy relative if this ever gets worked out though.

teatube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The thing started when I wanted to play some games. I left it on sleepmode and came back in 20 minutes and i was greeted with a black screen. I left it like that for 10 minutes. And I saw after the 10 minutes the top screen lit up, but i noticed the sound was gone, i looked at the touch screen and i was greeted with that error code. The problem is that I am on vacation, so doing stuff like replacing a boot.firm file is pretty difficult, because I have a iPhone and stuff...

Last edited by teatube,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Parsing the error code:

0xF96183FE
Module
QTM (96)
Description
Timeout (1022)
Summary
Internal (11)
Level
Fatal (31)

Basically, the module responsible for head tracking in 3D mode is timing out. This could be a hardware problem as the ribbon cable connecting to the inner camera is not properly connected or damaged. Could you try to power on your 3ds but with the lid opened at different angles each time? If it ends up being a hardware problem then the only solution is opening it, reseating the ribbon cable or replacing it if it's broken. Also try to open the camera application and see if the inner camera mode works properly.

Sorry in advance, I'm a total 3DS newb. I opened my 3DS up from sleep to be greeted "ErrDisp" Error code 0x96183fe
BTW, you should fix the error code you posted... you know, it's the part that gives us the most important information and you wrote it incorrectly. lol

shbek1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops. Sorry about that. Quickly typed it out once I realized I couldn't post photos/links. No change opening the lid in a variety of angle, with and without 3D. I'll look into getting at the ribbon cable.

Edit: It appears it was a corroded camera ribbon cable. Simply unplugging it allowed the 3ds to boot right up. Tried cleaning it up with 97% isopropyl and a q-tip to no avail, but it looks like it's only a $15 for the new camera module/integrated ribbon cable. It works fine without the camera anyway....

Last edited by shbek1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P