Lucid Dreaming

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by pocchama1996, Dec 31, 2010.

Dec 31, 2010

Lucid Dreaming by pocchama1996 at 10:57 AM (2,318 Views / 0 Likes) 38 replies

1. pocchama1996
    OP

Member pocchama1996 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Has anyone managed to do this?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I got to the part where your chest feels heavy, then everything started spinning and a fell asleep.
    and to anybody who has done it.
    Do you have any tips for somebody whos just now starting to try it.

2. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    Lol, have you just watched inception? Everyone seems to want to do it now.

I haven't seen that method before, the way I managed to do it was by keeping a sleeping journal and the whole look at your hands thing.

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    From what I've heard, that guide is pretty useless. I have a few better ones that outline different methods of doing it somewhere on my hard drive, I'll see if I can find them and upload them.

I used to be able to do it every night using a different technique, but haven't done it in a while so I probably wouldn't be able to trigger it as much now without practicing again.

edit

One related to Dream Induced Lucid Dreaming

http://i.imgur.com/Nxp7Z.png

One that outlines the different methods of triggering lucid dreams (I started with MILD and had it work on the first time)

http://i.imgur.com/mkDvs.png

Both of them are pretty high resolution.

4. pocchama1996
    OP

United States
    Nope, I've never seen inception.
    I was just browsing through 4chan and saw this a few days ago.

5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    I have occasionally shaped my dreams without anything like that. There's not much control behind it but I'll make a connection from events in the dream to something IRL and whatever I made the connection too will be incorporated into the dream. Usually it will add a person or the location will suddenly change.
    Its probably not proper lucid dreaming but I'm fine with not being able to shape my dreams completely. Some of the best dreams I have are completely batshit insane and I'd never think of them normally.

6. pocchama1996
    OP

United States
    Thank you.
    Having a WILD dream is what im particularly interested in.
    so these images help alot.

7. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You just gotta get into a state where your body goes in paralysis but don't fall asleep. Focus on what you want to dream about and it'll happen. Have done this a few times for fun. Also got into it before hearing about Inception.

8. imshortandrad

Member imshortandrad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I started writing down my dreams and I could get to the point where I knew I was dreaming, and could do some pretty neat stuff. That's all that I've been able to do.

9. shyam513

Member shyam513 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    A friend of mine's done it a few times. Apparently, the best way of doing it is finding a way to realise you're dreaming, without doing something that would wake you up. Apparently, one of the best ways is said to be checking your watch, as in dreams, it is said to constantly change times. dunno if it's just my friend taliing, or if it works for everyone though. anyway, once you're aware your dreaming, just focus on changing the dream the way you want.

10. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I started lucid dreaming at a young age befor I knew what it was. I just happen to have a very active and smart dream state I guess. I started dreaming that I was trying to learn to fly in my dreams took a few months. By the end when I could fly in my dreams I would know I'm dreaming when I would fly so in my dream I would say to myself cool I'm flying I must be dreaming so here we go. Then all the fun happens and dreams get really cool. Even tho when I was teaching myself to fly in my dreams I would be at the point I could hover a foot above the ground but I wouldn't realize I'm dreaming till I got to the point I could fly around. A was less the 10 yrs old when this happened, so now jump ahead some 20 odd years dreams are still crazy but I don't mind at all. I even have dreams where I see future events that come true in my life. It is never anything that amounts to saving someones life or seeing the end of the world, or the winning lotto numbers. Usually just a conversation or going to the store. I saw once having to take my cat to the vet to get put down and saw the room number and the vet nurses outfit and the pictures on the wall of the room. Yeah I do have a bit of psychic influences that happen when I'm awake too. I think that my mind is a bit more expanded that most of the normal people living out their daily lives so lucid dreaming came to be very very easy to me and at a very young age.

One thing that could of expanded my mind to be more open to the not so easy too see things is. I was around 3 years old and got pushed off the top of a slide by an other kid and fell and fractured my skull and almost died. I even had an out of body experience and floated up away from my body and started flying around the other ppl on the playground the up and over the buildings. Then got pulled back into my body as I was in my moms arms in the car being rushed to the hospital while her friend drove her. It was winter time and I had a thick hooded jacket and a hat with a beanie on top. The doctor said those two things kept me from being dead, if it wasn't for those I wouldn't be around. So coming close to death at an early age expanded my brain power, but it took 5 years or so till I started noticing odd things. Like thinking something then having it happen that day or a few seconds later. An other year or so then the teaching to fly in my dreams and such.

11. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've experimented with lucid dreaming after watching Waking Life, it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. There really isn't a solid way of triggering it though for some it comes naturally. Plenty of people lucidly dream without knowing it, really it's all in dream memory. Normally people go through 4 to 6 dreams a night, so if you can it's pretty hard to keep track of everything. I'd suggest keeping a dream journal as many have mentioned before and just try recalling as much of your dreams as you can. I did this for about 2 years, but now I just give my dreams a quick run through my head once I wake up. This isn't as effective as keeping a dream journal, but I really don't have time to keep track of it anymore.

12. mocalacace

Member mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Over the summer I had dream that I was driving to school, then I looked down and realized I was dreaming. I was so excited by the thought I knew that I was actually dreaming that I ''woke up''. But I was really still dreaming (they call this a false awakening). So I was still dreaming but I thought that I had woke up. I was really pissed that I ''woke up'' and went on my way. Then I woke up for real this time, and was more pissed that I had thought I had waken up. After that I looked online on how to induce lucid dreams, and I found this http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Lucid-...-Machine/#step1 I have everything I need to build it, I just need to know how I would go about programming an ATtiny13

13. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Unfortunately, it's not that easy to have lucid dreams, and sometimes you'll need to practice a lot. When I was younger, I did lucid dreams naturally. Now I need to do some preparation before having one. If you saw the movie "Inception", then you know that you need something to "tell" you that you're dreaming. You need to do this even if you're awake in order to be able to do it in your dreams (I hold my nose and try to breathe ; it doesn't work -> I'm not dreaming, and if it works, it means that I'm dreaming) Most of my dreams started with that, so naturally I would know that I'm dreaming.

The only other tip I can give you is to go to bed in a relaxed state.

In the beginning, you'll dream that you're dreaming. That's a good sign. After that, you'll gain the control of your own body in your dreams, and finally, you'll be able to control the entire dream.

Edit : Oh, and also, try to remember your dreams, it helps to prepare your conciousness for lucid dreams.

14. Team_Subspace

Member Team_Subspace Citizen Marsalevsky

United States
    i got to where it said you cant ever see yourself in a mirror in your dreams but ive seen myself in mirrors a lot while dreaming...

15. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I've done this as well, though it's never a clear image...
    People's faces always seem blurred and words are never readable, but I always know who it is or what it says without skipping a beat.

FUCK YOU, BRAIN! FUCK YOU!

16. Team_Subspace

United States

i should try to have a lucid dream soon if i can and try to look at everyones faces. i heard that when you dream, the faces you see are people you have seen in the real world at some point in time...

17. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I've never heard that, though it does make a whole lot of sense.
    I'll have to look and try to identify people if I can see them.

EDIT: Turns out that the tip I gave was already in the first post.
    This proves only that I never took the time to read it.

18. Team_Subspace

United States
    ok ill do that and since i wake up easily on some occasions and i want to sleep longer (as if sleeping until 2 p.m. wasnt enough)

19. Team_Subspace

United States
    well last night while draeming i saw four faces i recognized as my friends, but i never did realize i was dreaming... to bad for the lucid part

20. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I dreamed lucidly as kid. I remember being able to fly at will and all the good stuff. Sadly I haven't been able to do it since. I remember specifically when I was in psuedo-nightmares(I say psuedo because the end of the end of the dream was intensely frightening, I would close my eyes really tight(in the dream) and essentially wake up from it. Currently I'm working on a sort of dream journal detailing my dreams(since one tends to forget what one was dreaming) rather interesting I suggest others try it too, it'll open your eyes up to your inner conflicts, and basic emotional desires.