Looking for Wireless Router Recommendations

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by wrettcaughn, Dec 13, 2012.

Dec 13, 2012
  1. wrettcaughn
    OP

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I have $70-$100 dollars to spend on a new wireless router. My Buffalo from 2004 isn't cutting it in our new house. House is about 1800 sq. ft. with the router being located on the first floor on one end of the house and our bedroom located on the second floor at the opposite end of the house. Not interested in a range extender. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Have you considered Powerline adapters?

3. wrettcaughn
    OP

United States
    I hadn't. Seemed like crazy voodoo :P
    Any you'd recommend? My router is going on 9 years old so I'm really looking to upgrade but if these powerline adaptors are decent and cheap enough I may go with that.

4. xist

United Kingdom
    Sorry for the crazy delay...timezone's and life really mess up rapidity...

As for recommendations, the adapters are connected to your router, so if it's really the weak link in your set up(as in speeds are awful even connected by cable) then you'd be best just to update that. However, if your Wifi is losing power sending it's signal upwards and through walls (wifi doesn't like to go up) Powerline adapters (or Homeplugs by another name) are a good alternative. Over here TP Link is a brand that people often recommend...just make sure you opt for the higher throughput varieties 500Mbps over 200.

5. wrettcaughn
    OP

United States
    well this is my current router
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162173

only 125Mbps... i'm getting ready to mount my tv and will be connecting my xbox via wifi so i'm looking to get at least 450Mbps or maybe 300+300 for that. i'm also operating under the assumption that signal strength has improved in the past 8 or so years which is why i was was gravitating more towards just getting a new router. i can get a consistent signal from the bedroom with my iPod5 but my wife's iPod4 and kindle fire are spotty at best.

6. xist

United Kingdom
    Looking at that router you don't have draft N wifi....i'd guess that any router you bought today would have it as standard so that's an immediate improvement in your situation. If i was in your position i'd get a mid range Wireless Router/Modem (i use the Netgear brand myself but reviews are plentiful for every decent manufacturer) and then if you're still having issues with your signal to your TV/Console/streaming set up consider a couple of Powerline adapters to work in tandem.

7. steve007

Member steve007 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I use the Linksys E3200 !

8. wrettcaughn
    OP

United States
    Okay, so I'm looking at these.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/...16451554?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062

I can get the Belkin for $50 (i have a $20 walmart gift card) but the asus seems like pretty good bang for the buck...

9. xist

United Kingdom
    The Asus does indeed look good and it's got some great reviews. This does beg the question though...if your old router was that ancient, how old is the modem you're using to supply your internet to the new router?

10. wrettcaughn
    OP

United States
    Cable modem is brand new from my isp. A cisco dpc3008