Looking for headphones

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Originality, Dec 11, 2011.

Dec 11, 2011

Looking for headphones by Originality at 10:15 PM (2,103 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Originality
    OP

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Ok, I'm getting an iPod for Christmas. Yet to decide if it'll be a Nano 6G or Touch 4G, but I'm leaning towards the Touch. I need some new headphones to go with, and I'm a little stuck in finding a good set. I've currently got a cheap pair of neckband Sennheisers, which are awesome, but they don't block out any sound which gets a little bad when listening on the bus/train. I want some over-ear headphones that can at least block some of the sound (don't know if I need Active Noise Cancellation or not, probably not). I'm posting here to see if people have any more/better suggestions.

Requirements:
    Comfort - the most important factor for me. If I can't stand wearing it after a couple hours, then it's useless.
    Shape - over-ear (circumaural) design. I want it to block out at least some of the noise.
    Budget - £100 or less. I don't mind paying £80-100 if they're good, but I know some decent headphones can be found in the under-£30 range.

Other notes:
    I wouldn't mind a headset if it had a detatchable mic. One example would be the Asus Vulcan.
    I would like for it to have in-line media controls that work with iPod, and maybe with my Android phone too (I know it supports 3.5mm headsets). This is not necessary though, and I would happily accept an adaptor if someone could find one for me (I've found ones for Android phones, but not iPod).
    Please don't suggest wireless/bluetooth headsets unless they work well (with a good battery life). I don't mind charging at the end of the day, but if they only last a couple hours or if they have lots of noise (as bluetooth tends to), I won't be able to use it.
    EDIT: I also want it to sound good. I am NOT an audiophile, so I don't care if they're so good that I can hear the impurities in MP3 playback, I just want to listen to good music (mostly Jpop) with nice sounding headphones without it being drowned out by the roar/rumble of London public transport.

Ideas that have come up so far in my search:
    Asus Vulcan (RoG matches my motherboard, but I don't know if they'd be good when travelling)
    Razer Orca (they're awesome, but God the green colour is hideous!)
    Sennheiser HD201 (cheap)
    Beyer Dynamics DTX910 (I was recommended them, but can't find many reviews)
    BOSE AE2i (I like them, but they're over my budget)

Any other suggestions? I could really use some help here (maybe as thanks for all the years of giving computing advice on these forums?).

2. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I know they don't enclose the ear completely but the Sennheiser PXC 250-II's may be worth a look. I have the earlier model and whilst they're not perfect they sound good and do a fair job cancelling out environmental noise. Ultimately if you're serious about decent audio quality and environmental block out you're going to be paying over and above £100.

I was also under the assumption that Bose were over-rated and over-priced but i may have misheard some advice somewhere as i can't remember the source of that info.

3. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    You can still buy an iPod touch?

4. Originality
    OP

United Kingdom
    Bose are over-priced, but not over-rated. They do have some amazing headphones, if you're willing to pay the premium. I'm not that fussed into finding the best headphones (which would be by Beyer Dynamics for £800 if reviews are to be believed), I just want ones that are at least a step more comfortable and better sounding than the Skullcandy headphones I had before.

And especially I want an over-ear design, not on-ear (because I'm tired of headphones that press against my ears). Those PXC 250-II's are "mini headphones" that will press against my ears to stay on just like my old Skullcandy ones, and my ears started hurting after a month of using them.

EDIT: Of course you can still buy an iPod Touch. They're like an iPhone, only a quarter of the price. Or in my case, 1/6th of the price from the source I found on my day off today.

5. xist

United Kingdom
  6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
  7. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    The iPod nano 6G is a crippled iPod nano 5G, so get an iPod Touch.

8. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I'm inclined to say "why buy an iPod Touch, cut the middle-man and go for an iPhone", but I hate iDevices so it feels weird to voice out such an opinion. :P

1 person likes this.
  9. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Despite being old as shit, it'd probably still be cheaper to get a real mediaplaying device that has 5x the functionality, not a crappy iToy.

As for headphones, take a look at Sennheiser headphones.
    Top quality. I've only used their headsets, and the sound quality was fantastic. I assume straight headphones would be the same or better.

The headsets are a little bulky though...again, dunno about the headphones. Not a problem at home, but some people are self conscious in public.

10. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    I was just taking a peek in here (since I'm looking for some headphones myself, for PC/console gaming though) and if Sennheiser is as good as you say, I might get one of those, seeing as my budget is $45 to $65.

11. Originality
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've considered the alternatives for MP3 players, and really the iPod Touch is the most suitable to me. And I'm not too fond of iOS myself, despite typing all this on an iPad 2.

My current headphones are Sennheiser PMX 60. Lightweight, with decent bass for being open backed. And its a neckband type, which is awesome for me. I need a closed back over-ear type headphones for commuting because London is a noisy place and its public transport is no quieter. Insulation is the key.

Hells, if you could suggest specific Sennheiser models to consider, I'd look them up. So far I've only considered the HD 201 and 202, which are the cheapest two.

Xist, the reviews for the Shure headphones say after a couple hours you can feel the pressure around the ears because of how hard the material is. That means it wont be comfortable enough for me. Otherwise, it looks just like what im looking for.

Foxi, the first one doesn't seem to have a detacheable mic, and the second is the same on-ear design that I disliked from my first Skullcandy headphones.

12. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    If sturdiness is an important consideration for you in that price range, I would like to recommend a set I recently purchased. For two years I used a pair of Bose headphones that were great but had to be treated with kid gloves. Recently during a sale, I picked up this particular Philips set for music, and I now know there's a version with in-line iPod controls on the cord. It's in the low end of your price range, but I cannot even find a page for that version on the official Philips website for the US or the UK. They do appear to have it in the Apple Store.

What I got (SHO9561/28): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826138112
    Apple store: http://store.apple.c...oduct/H3629ZM/A

edit: whoah there, broken tags

Also, I know this set has no detachable mic.* I think the Apple store version has one built in to the remote..* I use a different set for VoIP and managed to snag this one for only US$30 because the other one is not sturdy enough for my backpack or snug enough for reclining.
    However others have said this headset is too tight for some individuals. You've seen my round head, and I don't think it's too tight.

13. rip-it-up

Member rip-it-up GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I use some sony x base in ear phones.
    i only paid 20 quid for the and there brilliant, bought them off play.com for that price, now their 66 quid threw a play trader.

14. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    they don't enclose the ear, but i have had the koss porta pro for over 10 years and they are awesome headphone. on top of lasting for practically forever, they are super light and they sound great.

well they don't really last forever, but they have lifetime warranty. i sent back a pair that broke, and they sent me new ones within the week. no receipt, no explanation just send and receive. the ones that broke were newer. my old 10 year old ones are still working perfectly.

15. Originality
    OP

United Kingdom
    exangel, as usual you scare me with how well we relate. It JUST HAPPENS that I bought a pair of Philips O'neill Stretch headphones with inline iPod controls half an hour before you made that post. They were one of the cheaper sets the Apple store had, and I got them with the garantee that if I don't like them, I can take them back up to 2 weeks and either swap with another pair or get a refund. Perfect way to start trying out some of the better headphones, and you just happened to pick the one I picked up.

At the same time, I also went and picked up a heavily discounted iPod Touch 8GB 4th Gen. Brand new of course, but sometimes you just need to know what to say to the Apple store assistants to get a discount.

rip-it-up, my ears are the wrong shape for in-ear devices. They will never stay in, so they're not an option. That's why I looked for over-ear headphones - one size fits all, and it doesn't press on my sensitive ears.

1 person likes this.
  16. xist

United Kingdom
    FWIW i'm personally now considering the Sennheiser 558's or 598's with a FiiO E7 Amp to go with my MP3 Player (can't afford the NJC Monitor I). Don't know if that sort of set up might be worth a look in for you, especially if you opt for listening on your PC with a E7/E9 combi.

17. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    HD 201's are quite cheap and are pretty low end headphone that don't provide the best quality and do break easily, so they wouldn't be that much worth investing in, also steering clear of Skullcandy is a good idea (overpricing/flashy designs). Again with Bose, a great deal of their gear is quite overpriced.

For your price range + use on a portable media player, I'd recommend a pair of ATH-M50's. Great balanced soundstage, easy to drive, as well as folding design for portability. For a bit more money a pair of Shure SRH-840's would be a good purchase, or if you were to shoot a little lower in price a pair of Shure SRH-440's are a good option or a pair of Koss Porta Pro's.

18. xist

United Kingdom
    I thought that given they're a monster pair of headphones and have a closed design that they're not very portable and lack a decent soundstage (although i've also read they're nigh on indestructable and are comfortable....but also seem to be slightly overpriced these days).Out of interest how do the Sennheiser HD25-I II's compare? They seem a comparable and possibly superior choice.

19. Originality
    OP

United Kingdom
    201's break easily? Interesting, considering how thick they look. Unfortunately the headphones you suggested are all in the over-£100 category.

For reference, the Philips Stretch headphones I'm currently trying are good in most areas, but when I walk quickly I hear a creaking sound from the stretch band stretching, which easily gets annoying. They're fine when walking slowly or sitting down, but I am a fast walker. Gonna have to swap them back either tomorrow or the day after.

20. xist

United Kingdom
    Review of the Phillips O'Neill here

At first they seemed ok but then you get to the bit where he discusses using them unamped from a MP3 player....don't know how much you paid for them but i'd guess you could probably do a bit better, and maybe at a later date stretch (Ho ho) for a Portable DAC/Amp.