Looking for alternative media players.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by kjb1686, Jul 3, 2012.

Jul 3, 2012
  1. kjb1686
    OP

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have vlc installed right now and all though i have used it for a while and love it i want a new media player. The only reason i am considering this is that every once in a while i have memory leaks with vlc. All of sudden it is using a little bit of my ram than bam it starts eating it up. I was considering mpc but unlike vlc i cant turn the volume up past 100 on mpc and on vlc i can turn it up to 200 so i was looking for something that like vlc will allow me to turn my volume up.

2. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    have you tried checking for updates to vlc?

3. kjb1686
    OP

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well here is the thing i have the latest 2.0.1 so i don't need to update anymore than that right now seeing as there isn't another version out there. I was just looking for alternatives to see if one is equal or surpasses vlc, i love vlc but i was just curious as to what else there are out there.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I use Zoom player when VLC isn't enough.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The CCCP (combined community codec pack) installs proper codecs and some players (zoom and MPC IIRC) to use them.

6. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Hi Rydian what do you think about the K-lite codec pack. Is CCCP better?

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Lite is the key word. CCCP is more complete.

8. kupo3000

Member kupo3000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    VLC 2.0.2 is out. CCCP is also good but it hasn't been updated since November 2011.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    My answer has not changed from the thread we had the other week http://gbatemp.net/topic/329106-best-video-file-player/ (CCCP, check a few filters in FFdshow which it installs, maybe add a faster H264 decoder and then if necessary set up some stuff to encode video if you are limited by VFW video encoders which you really should not be but virtualdub is nice so I will not blame you for having it stick around).

As for klite- for many years I would not allow it to touch my system or any I am responsible for as it opted for the bundle everything approach which is not a good one. Today they are better if you use one of the more minimalist installs but but compared to CCCP they fall flat for not really configuring things that well.

As for not updated since November there have been precisely three updates of MPC-HC (looking at the changelog many are somewhat redundant if you kick things to FFdshow although probably worth grabbing), a few more of ffdshow tryouts (although some of those are quite interesting looking and especially if you have been suckered into this 10 bit per channel nonsense that seems to be infesting/being the buzzword of choice in the anime video world right now) and nothing for Haali media splitter. With CCCP as the basis though there is nothing stopping you from updating those two files.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It lets them lower the bitrate (and thus filesize and thus bandwidth costs) while claiming it's just as good, so they want to push it as an amazing technology so it'll become more common and they can host stuff cheaper (or get downloads quicker, for those cloud-kept things like torrents).