Looking for a laptop for college

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Feels Good Man, Jul 11, 2009.

Jul 11, 2009
  1. Feels Good Man
    OP

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Yes, im looking for a laptop to buy for college and I need help on what to get. Im taking Game Development next year and need something for it while of course playing some PC games (L4D, Bioshock, Fall Out, etc.). Since im taking Game Development I guess need at least a decent rig to do my work on.

I found this online:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?...teway+p7805u+fx

And it's only around $900Canadian (but it's refurbished).

Do you think that's good? Only problem I see is that the battery life is only three and a half hours but im not sure if that's normal for a laptop.

What do you guys think? And do you have any other recommendations?

EDIT - The budget I would like to keep would be probably under $1,000CAD if that's possible

2. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Battery life will always be short in gaming laptops.

That laptop will perform really well in those games you mentioned and many others. I would expect to be getting frame rates of over 50 fps in those games you mentioned.

As for recommendations, I strongly suggest that you take another look at your budget and also take a look at the Sager gaming laptop range. Particularly the NP8660, NP8662 and also their 17'' range. For a little more, you can get a more powerful GPU and a potentially better built laptop as well as a more portable one.

3. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I own a Gateway. I advise you NOT to get one. Don't know how their laptops perform, but my Gateway desktop is terrible. The two DVD drives have problems (one won't open, I have to hit the button about 20 times for it to open, and the other likes to open and close automatically). My computer's built in graphics card was crap, causing the screen to turn purple randomly. After buying a new graphics card, the computer fried it, and took the slot along with it. Their support is terrible, I've emailed them about my problems many times, with no responses. I suggest going for any other brand.

4. tal32123

Member tal32123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i hear gateways are crap, although that ones specs looked good. if you need it for college stay away from gaming computers, get an acer timeline.

5. geishroy

Member geishroy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    if you buy a shitty desktop with shitty parts, you will get this outcome. next time build your own and qq later.

on topic. that laptop isn't too bad for the price. you could also look into some dell's and use some online coupons to get the price down if a refurb doesn't suit you well.
    you must know that with any 17 inch laptop, portability is about out of the question. though you can tout it around, you will likely not, the laptop will be quite heavy and large, so if it is for college then you may want to consider something else. however if it is going to be primarily used for gaming, then go for it and get it. or something like it.

6. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

Gateway is now owned by acer. Also, I wouldnt recommend having a 17" laptop for college as you are going to have to lug it around everywhere

7. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hard to tell if it's made from bad parts when they don't tell you who makes/what brand of every single part in the computer. And I didn't have a choice to build one.

8. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
  9. geishroy

Member geishroy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    well durrr, this is why you don't buy prebuilds by stupid companies.
    wasting money on a computer you do not build yourself can prove to be foolish.