Gaming Logitech G5 or MX518?

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have decided to upgrade my gear, and the first thing I need is a new mouse (I currently have a Microsoft IntelliMouse, decent, but not great). Searching through NewEgg, I have decided upon getting the G5 or MX518, both excellent mice. I used to have a G5 a few years back, but it broke when I was moving to a new house (got crushed by my monitor). However, I have not yet tried the MX518 even though it has the greatest ratings on NewEgg. If you think there is a better mouse than either of these and it has a reasonable price, (NOT wireless and nothing more than 50) by all means, throw out your suggestions.

tl;dr: G5 or MX518 (or other good mouse NOT wireless)

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just got my mx518 last week. I have to say, it's pretty good. The ability to change sensitivity on the fly is nice. It takes a bit of getting use to as it's much bulkier in the back in comparison to my old MS Intellimouse Optical. Also, the fact that you have to install the driver package to get full functionality is a downer for me. I like my computer clean, and having to install additional software is a big turn off.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have the G5 it is nice though the threading around the cord is annoying and will wear down so i cut mine off but other then that its a decent mouse.

alltooamorous

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I own both mice =D

I would recommend you try out the MX518, you won't be sorry. The only thing that the G5 has that the MX518 is the option for 2000 dpi (the MX518 has 1600 max I believe) and the weight adjustments. I think I would've bought the G5 if I had a little bit more money to spend, but the MX518 was on sale, free shipping.

PS - I hate feel of the "blue" G5, the "lightning" can be felt and it feels quite uncomfortable. I own the limited edition one, which doesn't feel that way.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got a G7, which is basically a G5 except wireless and doesn't have a forward button, and I'm extremely happy with it. I've always thought of the MX518 mouse as being more of an entertainment geared mouse rather than a gaming mouse, whereas the G5 is actually designed for gaming. Another mouse I'd easily recommend would be the Razer Copperhead. The buttons are much nicer to click than the G5/G7, but it's a little bit too light for my liking.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a G5, and it's a workhorse. Seriously, video/photoediting, CoD4, WoW, it does it all like a champ. They have really come down too since I got mine 18 months ago, now that the G7 and G9 have come out

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alltooamorous said:
I own both mice =D

I would recommend you try out the MX518, you won't be sorry. The only thing that the G5 has that the MX518 is the option for 2000 dpi (the MX518 has 1600 max I believe) and the weight adjustments. I think I would've bought the G5 if I had a little bit more money to spend, but the MX518 was on sale, free shipping.

PS - I hate feel of the "blue" G5, the "lightning" can be felt and it feels quite uncomfortable. I own the limited edition one, which doesn't feel that way.

I was kind of worried about the lightening G5, because I had the silver/orange tinted G5 and I loved everything about it. Fortunately, I do have extra money to spend so I plan to buy a G5 that has the silver/orange tint.

I'm not a serious PC gamer, so I'm not too worried about dpi and the weights, but I just miss my G5 too much. ?_?

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I own an MX518, G5 (the original orange one), Razer Copperhead and Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 (the latter two I got as gifts :/)
Also have tried the G9, Razer Krait and SteelSeries Ikari from friends.

After getting the Copperhead and IE3.0 (lol Interbutts Explorer), I'm still using my G5 (it looks so worn out already and the threading-wrap thing on the cable is pretty messed-up already). I just love the feel and the weight of the G5. So if you got used to it, I say stick with a G5.
As alltooamorous, you can go with the MX518 if you can do without the weights, I liked it much and used it on my laptop (when I still had one hehe).
The Copperhead is decent but I don't want to mess with drivers and firmwares and I actually don't like feel of the click of it. It seems like it's too easy to accidentally click lol.

Mind you, I don't use the PC that much for gaming at all (though trying out TF2 was very addicting), so I can't say much for its "gaming performance"
laugh.gif
I use the G5 for work and I even draw with it. Only installed the software it came with once too and uninstalled it since I didn't really like it nor do I have use for weird settings.

I want to know the difference with the blue G5 however since one day my trusty G5 might suddenly die and the orange one might not be available anymore.
(I also want to know why the Razer mice are good.)

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Orc said:
I own an MX518, G5 (the original orange one), Razer Copperhead and Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 (the latter two I got as gifts :/)

After getting the Copperhead and IE3.0 (lol Interbutts Explorer), I'm still using my G5 (it looks so worn out already and the threading-wrap thing on the cable is pretty messed-up already). I just love the feel and the weight of the G5. So if you got used to it, I say stick with a G5.
As alltooamorous, you can go with the MX518 if you can do without the weights, I liked it much and used it on my laptop (when I still had one hehe).
The Copperhead is decent but I don't want to mess with drivers and firmwares and I actually don't like feel of the click of it. It seems like it's too easy to accidentally click lol.

Mind you, I don't use the PC that much for gaming at all (though trying out TF2 was very addicting), so I can't say much for its "gaming performance"
laugh.gif
I use the G5 for work and I even draw with it. Only installed the software it came with once too and uninstalled it since I didn't really like it nor do I have use for weird settings.

I want to know the difference with the blue G5 however since one day my trusty G5 might suddenly die and the orange one might not be available anymore.

Well, I've done some extra researching and I've found out a couple things. The blue G5 contains one extra button: an extra side button next to the previous side button (right above the left side button when holding the mouse vertically) and that the lightening treads can be felt and can cause some discomfort.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but the wiring is weak on the G5 and bending it too far can possibly snap it. However, I do not know if these claims have been proven.

I own TF2 and I agree with you, 100%.

The Razer Copperhead has 2000dpi (just like the G5), has a 1ms response time, has 32kb on board memory so you can switch mouse settings on the spot, and lots of other fancy things that appeal to gamers. The Razer Copperhead is an excellent mouse, but I'm looking for a mouse that isn't aimed entirely at gaming.

I also found out that the Coppermouse has a gold plated USB connector.

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I own a MX518 and a G5 (old Silver model, 1 thumb button.)

I prefer the glossy exterior of the faceplate on the MX518, compared to my G5's matted surface. However, the MX is a dirt magnet.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Shakraka said:
Orc said:

laugh.gif

Well, I've done some extra researching and I've found out a couple things. The blue G5 contains one extra button: an extra side button next to the previous side button (right above the left side button when holding the mouse vertically) and that the lightening treads can be felt and can cause some discomfort.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but the wiring is weak on the G5 and bending it too far can possibly snap it. However, I do not know if these claims have been proven.

The Razer Copperhead has 2000dpi (just like the G5), has a 1ms response time, has 32kb on board memory so you can switch mouse settings on the spot, and lots of other fancy things that appeal to gamers. The Razer Copperhead is an excellent mouse, but I'm looking for a mouse that isn't aimed entirely at gaming.

I've had my G5 wire in a mess and knots but the only thing that has ripped are some parts of the threading. The cable itself looks pretty fine.

2000dpi isn't very useful though. Well, for me I just use 800dpi and 400dpi.
That and I found that the on board memory thing is more of a hassle (updating the firmware etc) and having profiles in the mouse is only useful for serious business gamers lol.
If you're in the market for one though, maybe check those "3G" ones Razer has.

Also: Meh, about the blue G5. I found the design to be ugly and now it sucks more for being textured.

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Orc said:
Shakraka said:
Orc said:

laugh.gif

I've had my G5 wire in a mess and knots but the only thing that has ripped are some parts of the threading. The cable itself looks pretty fine.

2000dpi isn't very useful though. Well, for me I just use 800dpi and 400dpi.
That and I found that the on board memory thing is more of a hassle (updating the firmware etc) and having profiles in the mouse is only useful for serious business gamers lol.
If you're in the market for one though, maybe check those "3G" ones Razer has.

Also: Meh, about the blue G5. I found the design to be ugly and now it sucks more for being textured.

I do agree that the design is unappealing on the second editions, but I tend to get sweaty hands when in an intense soldier shoot-out (lol) and the treads have more friction than the previous G5, which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on the user.

And yeah, Razer products are definitely pointed at serious business gamers. ?_?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: