Locking room door?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by crystal107, Oct 23, 2013.

1. crystal107
    OP

crystal107 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2007
    Iceland
    Israel
    Hello there!

So I've been trying to figure out a method how to lock my room's door.
    The problem is - it DOES have a lock, but there are too many keys that can open the door, which makes it pretty dumb and useless.
    I need a method to lock the door, even if it costs money. I can't have heavy installation on the door, it's a simple inside wooden door.
    I tried to run a search but I dont seem to find something useful, most systems require heavy installation.
    Help please :)

Thank you!

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Replace the lock.

Boy12 likes this.
  3. crystal107
    OP

Apr 16, 2007
    Iceland
    Israel
    lol Please, More useful advice I couldn't figure myself. Replacing the lock is not an option.
    P.S. besides, it seems like the lock system in the door is built in. not something that can be easily replaced. It's a room door, not a house door.

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Why is changing the lock not an option? It that a dorm room? If you're not allowed to replace the lock you probably won't be allowed to do anything effective. Does the room have to lock from the outside, or just when you're in it?

EDIT: Are you allowed to drill holes in the door?

5. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    replacing a door lock isn't very hard...

you could put a door chain on it? or put another entire lock on there(although that would way harder to do than replace the lock)

6. TheBlueSky

TheBlueSky Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Hire me as a door guard. I will knock down everyone trying to intrude.

No seriously, the door lock MUST be replaceable unless it's from 16th century. If it's inside a large hole and looks well concealed, it's still possible to replace it after opening it in a certain way.

Edit: Another effective method would be to put a note outside. "Do not open, I have trapped 3-4 skunks inside the room. Going out to call help now!"

crystal107 likes this.
  7. tickle.my.pickle

tickle.my.pickle GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
  8. B-Blue

B-Blue slut

GBAtemp Patron
    B-Blue is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2006
    Antarctica
  9. crystal107
    OP

Apr 16, 2007
    Iceland
    Israel
    I am not allowed to drill holes. tickle my pickle - what is that? look interesting. B-blue - you LOLd me!!! addalock looks interseting but.. doesnt it only lock you when you're inside? I need a solution for a lock when I'm gone. if I want to lock myself, I just leave the key in the door.
    TheBlueSky - if you're big and scary, I'll hire you :) every petite girl could use one XD if you're not expensive, you could tag along and scare all the annoying dudes around :P cab drivers are especially annoying.

I'll see if I can remove the screws and install a new system inside, that could work I guess. If anyone got an easier solution, i'd love it. meanwhile, I look into this one. I'll be waiting for the addalock reply.

10. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    [​IMG]

cheap and affective

11. crystal107
    OP

Apr 16, 2007
    Iceland
    Israel
    Heran Bago, it's wonderful if u plan to lock yourself inside.. but I want to actually preserve my privacy of my own room and go outside while doing that ;)

12. tickle.my.pickle

May 2, 2013
    United States
    its like a jacket for your doorknob... i've seen a metal one... but that was a long time ago... I think its the perfect solution for your problem...

yes! i fond a steel one http://www.nathosp.com/product/dqa100_c/hotel_room_door_locks_and_locksets

another one from japan... http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/peace3world/diary/201205190000/

Veho likes this.
  13. crystal107
    OP

Apr 16, 2007
    Iceland
    Israel
    WOW looks PERFECT!!!!!!!! THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
    I'll read into it :)

14. tickle.my.pickle

May 2, 2013
    United States
    no prob... glad i could help... ;)

crystal107 likes this.