Hacking Loading GC backups from SD card?

gbasource

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is it possible to load a gamecube backup from a sd card on the Wii? Ive heard of something called gamecube homebrew launcher that will load dol files from the sd? Is it possible and how do i go about it?

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
gbasource said:
Is it possible to load a gamecube backup from a sd card on the Wii? Ive heard of something called gamecube homebrew launcher that will load dol files from the sd? Is it possible and how do i go about it?

As you have said it's for launching Homebrew, not backup's, you need to look at Swiss which requires a SDGecko or similar device I use this one.

It's currently is beta, and as yet not every game works.

F. Lobot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't do that for the same reason you can't play GCN backups from usb. The Gamecube didn't have a front SD card slot, so in GCN mode it cuts off access. The workaround is to repurpose a memory card slot to read SD cards.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
gbasource said:
Is there a limit to how big the sd card can be that is inserted into the sdgecko?

4 GB? But i don't trust 4 GB sd cards, stick to 2 GB sd cards. It also supports some sdhc cards, but i can't name you any that will work for sure. Theoretically it supports sdhc cards up to 32GB...

alexcalibur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played several games using swiss. This is my experience, so don't take it as gospel.
They all worked almost perfectly. There was some buzzing and slowdown when it had to read from the disc, but after you play the game for a little you realize (most) games don't read from the disc all that often, so you can predict where you're going to get a lag for a second. Where it does work, it works perfect. I've heard some people had compatibility problems, but all of my sd cards and games work fine and I haven't had any problems.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I pretty much only use my 8GB Sandisk for swiss. Have already finished 4 swords with it, and am now playing beyond good and evil (just played for about 2 hours straight). Aside from occasional sound glitches (as mentioned: when the game normally loads from disk), things seem perfect. Of course the game compatibility isn't 100%, but it clearly improves with each beta version that comes out.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up