Loading GC Backups Confusion

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by ethteck, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010

Loading GC Backups Confusion by ethteck at 11:36 PM (1,536 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. ethteck
    OP

Newcomer ethteck Newbie

United States
    I've had a lot of trouble getting GC backups to work. I'm pretty much just not sure what to do. I've searched around, looked at all of the stickied topics, and it seems that everyone is saying different things to use. I've tried GC Backup Loader 0.2 but the miospatcher just gives me a black screen. Neogamma is a WAD and I don't even know how to install those. I'm sorry about my noobiness, but I really need help.

I'm on system menu 4.2U

All I've done is HackMii installer with DVDX, the Homebrew Channel, and BootMii as boot2. I backed up my NAND.

Thanks for the help, again sorry for being a helpless noob.
    Ethteck

2. King Of Chaos

Member King Of Chaos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do you have a cMIOS installed? If not, it needs one.

3. ethteck
    OP

Newcomer ethteck Newbie

United States
    I don't know what cMIOS I need.

EDIT: But no, I don't have one installed.

4. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  5. ethteck
    OP

Newcomer ethteck Newbie

United States
    If that's the same one as the one packaged with the Backup Loader then it's not going to help. I've tried that and I get a black screen with no options for anything after I load it.

6. Dialexio

United States
  7. OOPMan

Newcomer OOPMan Member

South Africa
    You require a cMIOS and you also need a CIOS249 rev14 or below. The latter is important. GC backups will not work if you have CIOS249 rev15 or higher. The cMIOS is required for the game, the cIOS is required for disc identification. With cIOS 249 r15, NeoGamma and Backup Loader are unable to id the disc and hence unable to load it.

8. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I'm on cIOS rev14, tried cMIOS 4, 5 and 8, with and without launcher included.
    Every time I run a GC disc, (from disc channel or HBC+GC launcher), it gives me an error on the GC launcher menu (at the position where games would appears), and run the disk anyway.

As I have a Wiikey 1 with GC audiofix, the game still run, but I'm redirected to the GeckoOs menu (main disc boot.dol)
    I want the GC backup Launcher menu to select the 2nd disc for a multi disc game [​IMG]

Do I have to disable the Gamecube audiofix in my wiikey config ?
    I checked the config disk menu, there's no way to disable Gamecube completly to let GC launcher deal with the multi-iso disk in the place of the wiikey.

My only solution is to use 2 DVD and play the game the classic way, right ?

9. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I kept having issues myself until I started using the loader option and using NeoGamma to load the Gamecube disc.

*edit*
    To the fellow above...I just realized you have a chip. Why are you loading gamecube stuff this way then?

10. Cyan

France
    It's because when I make Multi-iso disc and run it with the modchip, the usual multi-game select menu (GCOS) doesn't have the ability to swap disc in-game (like for Tales of Symphonia, which has 2 disc)
    Or does it have this function too ?

GC Backup launcher has the option to select the 2nd disc before running disc1, then ejecting/reinserting the multi-iso disc can do the trick.
    I think I will burn it on 2 disc (waste of space)

edit :
    unrelated question :
    My wii has difficulties to read DVDs (wii or GC, even the one working before).
    I'm getting "error reading blabla, read the manual". eject and reinsert is running the game a little more.
    maybe lens cleaning will help ?

11. harmor

Member harmor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I assumed rev15 and 16 were improvements on rev14. I currently have rev16 installed and was getting frustrated because my burned GameCube games wouldn't load.
    I'll try rev14.

Edit: Thanks OOPMan. I installed rev14 and my GC games work.

12. ethteck
    OP

Newcomer ethteck Newbie

United States
    OOPMan, isn't downgrading to a different CIOS extremely dangerous? Or am I thinking of downgrading the firmware in general?

If it's worth trying, how would I go about getting a different CIOS? Yeah, I know that's a complete noobish question. Thank you guys for helping out, and I hope the other posters are getting their questions answered as well.

13. Dialexio

United States
    You're thinking of downgrading the System Menu. (Well... cIOS rev10 and earlier won't run on the new boot2v4/LU64 Wiis, but that's not as big of a deal.)

To upgrade/downgrade the cIOS, just simply run the cIOS installer. If you have a stub IOS249 (v65280 is a stub), you'll need to delete it first.

14. OOPMan

Newcomer OOPMan Member

South Africa
    As Dialexio said, downgrading/upgrading the cIOS is pretty safe. I keep the installers and necessary files for cIOS249 13,14 and 15 on my Wii as a matter if course, along with the cIOS 222/223 installer and the cMIOS installer.

15. Cyan

France
    I'm used to not have answers [​IMG]
    I'm fine if I don't get it, eventually I'll get the answer someday, when I don't seek it anymore
    It's my fault using your thread to ask another question, I don't like creating a new one for minor question, sorry [​IMG]

but thank you for your concern [​IMG]