Liquid Cooling Resources?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by mrSmiles, Aug 23, 2010.

Aug 23, 2010

Liquid Cooling Resources? by mrSmiles at 7:56 PM (1,008 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. mrSmiles
    OP

Member mrSmiles mrSmiles {^_^}

Canada
    Right i was wondering if there are any good resources on liquid cooling, i've tried searching on google, but i dont know where to start, since this would be my first time doing this; im obviously looking to overclock my system.

if possible i would love to read some good resource for liquid cooling an antec 900 case which is want im using right now.

any help is appreciated.

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  3. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
  4. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    How much are you planning to overclock your CPU?

5. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    have fun trying to fit the radiator inside your case. the 900 is by no means designed for w/c.

6. mrSmiles
    OP

Canada
    pc is mainly going to stay in one place so i'll likely make it an external so the radiator wont be going inside the case

as for how much i plan oc'ing my cpu, i'd like to push its limits, im currently using an i5-750, i dont know how much i can get out of this, its very likely i'll be overclocking other components in my pc like the gpu (ATI HD5770) and memory

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If you are wanting to push limits surely it would be better to move away from water cooling into phase change cooling*- water is great for cooling things running at sensible temperatures (and being reasonably quiet) but it begins to fall flat once you start really pushing things unless you really up your game to match it.

*see idea behind latent heat. Your main options are plastics (waxes) that rise above glass or "melting" temperature (water cooling is starting to become more common but whether you will never have to fabricate something is a different matter) or something from the compressed gases world (similar idea to how your fridge works) but the latter will probably require you to know some law to play properly in that world (spewing refrigerants into the atmosphere is a quick and easy way to get yourself striped up). I would steer clear of liquid nitrogen for now.

8. mrSmiles
    OP

Canada
    never thought about it like that, i guess "sensible" is what im mostly looking for, im no expert in both water cooling pc's and overclocking