Linux with GUI

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Findecanno, Apr 25, 2009.

Apr 25, 2009

Linux with GUI by Findecanno at 12:41 AM (1,426 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Findecanno
    OP

Member Findecanno GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is it at all possible to run a small distro of linux on the ds with a simple GUI? I dont care if it needs RAM extensions. I read somewhere that its possible to run it with around 2mb of RAM.

2. LyleKami

Newcomer LyleKami Newbie

United Kingdom
    It is possible but not worth the effort.

3. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    someone i know has been working on a gui front end for dslinux but....he has paused his work because hes working on a linux distro instead.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    ...you're kidding me, right?

http://www.google.com/search?q=dslinux
    or http://www.google.com/search?q=ds%20linux
    or http://www.google.com/search?q=linux%20on%20the%20ds

Very first result for all three searches. And then when you go to that site and click on the Wiki link, the "DSLinux FAQ (read this first!)" page contains exactly the answer you're looking for.

I apologize for being rude, but the answer required so little effort to find that I'm amazed you couldn't find it.

5. Findecanno
    OP

United States
    I looked on the ds linux site and it never said anything about a GUI I was just wondering if it was possible not looking for an actual dslinux with one because I thought none existed

6. DanTheManMS

United States
    It's not advertised greatly because the GUI is very slow and isn't really worth using. It's got an image-enabled web browser in it and a couple of games, but otherwise it doesn't have anything to offer that the standard DSLinux command line can't already do.

7. Findecanno
    OP

United States
    command lines bother me thats the only reason im asking. I entered the command to start the GUI and it didn't work.

8. DanTheManMS

United States
    You're really going to have to be more specific than "it doesn't work" if you except a response.

Which version of DSLinux did you download and install? What homebrew device are you using? Do you have slot-2 RAM supported by DSLinux? What do you see when you type "free" in the command-line? When you type the command to start PIXIL, do you get any error messages at all? If so, what do they say?

9. Findecanno
    OP

United States
    not sure what version im running. Its recent I know(within at least a month) I dont have a ram extention as I am running it in a dsi and it said that the derectory was not found or something like that.

10. DanTheManMS

United States
    When I said version, I meant whether you were using the .nds build, the DLDI build, or whatnot. If it said the directory wasn't found, then it sounds like you're using the .nds build when you should be using the DLDI build. If you don't have a "linux" folder on the root of your card, you're using the wrong version.

Even so, there's no way that DSLinux supports the DSi's RAM, so even with the right version there would be no way to run the PIXIL GUI. Without slot-2 RAM, DSLinux only has a couple hundred kilobytes of free RAM (since the kernel itself eats into the 4 MB the DS offers), leaving only enough room to run the most basic command-line applications.

11. Findecanno
    OP

United States
    ok I got the DLDI build but because im using a dsi pixil wont load. when a hack comes out that allows you to run the dsi at its full 16mb of ram instead of the 4 its running now will that be enough for pixil?

12. DanTheManMS

United States
    That should be enough, yes. It could be quite some time before that happens though.