Linux - Which distro?

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is probably a classic question. But since I will be installing Linux within a few days, I would like to know your opinion. Which Linux distro should I choose for my PC? And even more important: why?

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That really depends on your computer. I have an older computer that I'm using lubuntu on. Every Linux distro will have a lucid gui. It's faster and less demanding on the processor. I have an older laptop I use Puppy on because it's fast and gets the job done well. You'll hear over and over that Ubuntu and Fedora are the best and they are but I've tried them both and like everyone else found Ubuntu to be the best Linux distro. There's lots of light weight distros of Ubuntu like peppermint one and mint. I'd have to recommend Ubuntu because it has the most software packages. It's easy to set up and it's the closest thing you'll find to a regular no hassle os.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This really really depends on your knowledge level, which you didn't elaborate.

I always recommend Debian, since it's easy enough to install nowadays (for anyone who can install windows, anyways) and really emphasizes open source. Many will point you to ubuntu, which is based on debian, but more client (rather than server) oriented and features stuff like flash player and other non-free stuff which helps the acceptance of users. It also has newer software versions compared to debian where the packages are comparatively old but extremely stable.

So, that's it from me. Debian or Ubuntu. Also it features the best package system of all distros
tongue.gif

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're not afraid to dive into the unknown and muck with it a bit to get it going

Arch and Gentoo can show you the true power of Linux.

If you'd like something a little more confortable, Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Mint-Debian, any of those sorts.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've installed Ubuntu on a friends PC a few weeks ago, and I've also used Slax half a year ago. I don't mind how hard it is to install a thing, if it is what I want I'll get in anyhow.

I don't know how old my PC is, but I think about 6 or 7 years maximum.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sausage Head said:
why do you want linux?

I don't have to money for MacOS, and I like Linux more than Windows because it is more customisable. I also want Linux so I can just do my daily shit with it, like coding or browsing.

Hi everyone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
jelmew said:
I really like the new fedora with gnome3.
i suppose you are talking about gnome-shell, which sucks, because it's not customisable. i mean, the whole point of GNOME was to enable users to fully customise their operating system, but now, you're stuck with one default design and can only slightly modify it if you're an advanced user.

Unity sucks, too.

Fedora 15 with KDE environment is awesome, but your computer is most likely not powerful enough to use the way it is supposed to be used.

you'll probably want to try out Macbuntu, which is Ubuntu modified to look pretty much exactly like MacOS.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...What? Gnome-shell is entirely extensible, and it's retardedly easy to do so. Theming's not hard either; you can just copy/paste over the old theme files or use a couple of easy tools. Seriously, look up gnome-shell-extensions; pretty much all you need to do is download the extension files and either paste them right into the extensions folder or run a couple lines in the terminal to set them up. For example, look at my desktop:

44281497.png

D

Deleted-236924

I know of Ubuntu, Debian and Damn Small Linux.
I never really used Debian, only saw my friend use it once.
I enjoyed Ubuntu a lot when I was using it.
As for Damn Small Linux, don't even think about it.

The only thing I could recommend would be Ubuntu with Gnome, but there might be better alternatives I don't know about, since this is the only one I actually tried.
Boots up and shuts down pretty fast, too.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pingouin7 said:
The only thing I could recommend would be Ubuntu with Gnome, but there might be better alternatives I don't know about, since this is the only one I actually tried.
Props to you for actually mentioning this, you're the first one of all the > 9000 "get ubanntu becaus its good" people I've seen actually admit that they haven't used anything (except possibly just variants and Puppy) else.

My tip: If you spend a considerable amount of time on your computer, it should be in your best interest to run the OS which suits you best. There is no single OS that suits everyone best (yeah Ubuntu boys, your OS isn't Final fucking Destination). Other peoples recommendations only go so far and are completely worthless if they don't provide solid grounds.

The best thing you can do is invest the time needed to try out a few different OSes and see what suits you best.

Hi everyone

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
FireEmblemGuy said:
...What? Gnome-shell is entirely extensible, and it's retardedly easy to do so. Theming's not hard either; you can just copy/paste over the old theme files or use a couple of easy tools. Seriously, look up gnome-shell-extensions; pretty much all you need to do is download the extension files and either paste them right into the extensions folder or run a couple lines in the terminal to set them up.
well, i prefer having an os which i can theme from the get-go, i don't like having to install additional apps for that - that just makes no sense whatsoever. i wouldn't call that 'retardedly easy' at all. from what i remember, c/p-ing old theme files didn't work.

yeah, sure, the way gnome-shell is coded it allows for far more customisation than gnome-panel, but at the moment that is pretty much impossible due to two reasons: it's buggy as fuck and only few people are actually creating stuff for it (last time i checked was quite a while ago though, so things might have changed). now, you might ask, why don't you create stuff for it? well, because i don't like gnome-shell and i'm just too lazy.

oh, btw, if you know of any way to place the top panel in gnome-shell somewhere else on the screen, do tell.

anyway, opinions opinions, i like gnome-panel and you like gnome-shell, that's never going to change.

Waflix said:
QUOTE(Sausage Head @ Jun 22 2011, 05:08 PM) then you might just want Ubuntu.
what languages do you code?
VBS, Python, CSS, HTML, C++, PHP, and a few more.
CSS and HTML are just markup languages.

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Pick a distro that seems to suite you from what has been said in this thread, use it for a while to learn the basic concepts, then do some distro hopping until you find the perfect one for you. There's no best distro for everyone, it's all about personal taste and needs.

Personally I mostly use Debian and Arch, the former when I want a more generic installation, and the latter when I need a customized installation for special purposes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i heard obs makes gd lag alot