Linux and video cards

natkoden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just installed Linux on my main computer, thinking of just using it and say goodbye to Windows, at least for some time.

Thing is, my 7800 GT is working horribly with basically any linux distribution that uses Cinnamon, GNOME 3, and KDE. Even web browsing is a pain in the ass. Is not a driver issue because I've tried several propietary ones. Open source drivers don't like this GPU, they just crash.

The rest of the computer is good, i5 750 @ 4ghz, 4gb of ram and a 256GB OCZ Vertex 4

I just need a cheap videocard that can handle all the linux desktop effects and not lag.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just installed Linux on my main computer, thinking of just using it and say goodbye to Windows, at least for some time.

Thing is, my 7800 GT is working horribly with basically any linux distribution that uses Cinnamon, GNOME 3, and KDE. Even web browsing is a pain in the ass. Is not a driver issue because I've tried several propietary ones. Open source drivers don't like this GPU, they just crash.

The rest of the computer is good, i5 750 @ 4ghz, 4gb of ram and a 256GB OCZ Vertex 4

I just need a cheap videocard that can handle all the linux desktop effects and not lag.

Linux open source graphics drivers suck. Why not get the official ones from the nVidia site?

They have a binary blob installer that works pretty well.

natkoden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I know, I'm running that right now.

But somethings wrong here, and since this happened with every linux distro i've tried, I guess it's not software related.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I'm running that right now.

But somethings wrong here, and since this happened with every linux distro i've tried, I guess it's not software related.

If I recall correctly (and it may have changed since then since this is ~2 years ago), for the nVidia driver installer to properly "take", you need to run it as root after disabling your GUI.

Easiest way I found was to boot in one of the various preconfigured modes that is terminal only.

natkoden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If I recall correctly (and it may have changed since then since this is ~2 years ago), for the nVidia driver installer to properly "take", you need to run it as root after disabling your GUI.

Easiest way I found was to boot in one of the various preconfigured modes that is terminal only.

yeah, i know, you have to kill X

the driver is working just fine

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's legacy hardware

anything lower than 304.xx has support for the 7800 GT
Those link I posted are 173.14, which has GeForce 7 series support (it just doesn't list 7800 GT under supported product, weird).

You can look at all Linux drivers from here,
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

In any cases, you need to install DKMS and rebuild kernel module whenever you install a GPU driver.

natkoden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
tried that, still the same

I even installed an older version. No changes.

Now im running XFCE... blazing fast.

All the effects in gnome 3 are destroying my GPU. So, I return to my original question. What cheap GPU will be fast enough to run ANY linux distro with GNOME 3 with all the eye candy and flashy desktop effects.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's not a case of having a powerful card as much as having a more updated card that supports more OpenGL extensions? I didn't think the effects were that heavy anymore.

Anymore.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This card is $100 - should work nicely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

You might as well buy this one because a cheap one would just do as bad as your 7800 GT. It's not cheap but not expensive.
For Windows, sure. For Linux, NOPE. I had the same card running several different Distros and it lagged horribly, even with AMD's drivers. It's been like that with every 7000 series card that I've tested, no problem with 6000 and under, though.

The Riolu

Emanation Pokémon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Windows, sure. For Linux, NOPE. I had the same card running several different Distros and it lagged horribly, even with AMD's drivers. It's been like that with every 7000 series card that I've tested, no problem with 6000 and under, though.

Really? Ok, then the 6770 would work probably. I have the 5670 and it doesn't have issues with linux too so I guess that's the case

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    +1
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    Thank you
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm back. Just really tired.
    Hey. I'm really tired too. Going to eat my ham, green beans, and stuffing then take a nap. lol
    +1
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Hey. I'm really tired too. Going to eat my ham, green beans, and stuffing then take a nap. lol +1