Hacking learning differences between XCI/NSP

kofman13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all. I am learning still about all this as I am new to the scene. My SX PRO kit will be here saturday so i am compiling knowledge etc. So i am trying to figure out more about the differences between XCI and NSP games, and the cons and pros of each.
So, XCI are cart dumps. and NSP is Digital content, games but ALSO updates and DLC, right?
It seems that NSP are easier to get because you can just use CDNSP Gui app to download them directly instead of looking on random sites and google drive and file sharing sites.
So, what is the reason of choosing XCI over NSP? How is XCI better or worse than NSP and vice versa? Are there downsides to NSP acquisition methods and usage?
Can you update XCI games offline? Can you apply NSP update files to XCI games on your card?
The only thing im not looking forward to is managing whats the latest version and making sure i have right update files lol

ALSO, another point im thinking about is.... is downloading NSP with Bobs CDN thing dangerous? Like torrent level of dangerous? like wouldnt Nintendo see your IP address since you are downloading from their network to your computer? I got in trouble for downloading torrents years ago so im still very wary of things.

Last edited by kofman13,

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XCI - cart dumps. No install needed. Easier manage if you have multiple SD cards. Retail cart game so low risk of ban (lower)
NSP - Need to be installed. Pretty much 100% guaranteed ban. Many games are eshop only so XCI is not an option. Are updates as well (for both NSP, retail carts and XCI)

I go XCI when I can unless the backup is only NSP.

Reactions: Chizko

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All but one ban have been due to piracy in one form over the other. While .XCI may be safer than .NSP, in the long run you are likely to get banned for using either. By making a clean NAND backup before hacking the console, staying offline with all of your hacks, then restoring that backup before going online, your chances of getting banned diminish to nearly 0% regardless if you use .XCI or .NSP

Triptamine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As Drax says first thing you do should be to make a clean dump and restore back to that for any online. Ideally get a second switch because its a pain in the ass to switch back and forth but if you are happy to spend a few hours dumping and restoring nand when changing between high seas/homebrew switch and legit switch it works out pretty well. Probably worth forking out for a second memory card for convenience though as they are pretty reasonably priced now for 128gb or less, can easily be repurposed for another device if you decide and save some screwing around waiting for sd transfer.

kofman13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Drax says first thing you do should be to make a clean dump and restore back to that for any online. Ideally get a second switch because its a pain in the ass to switch back and forth but if you are happy to spend a few hours dumping and restoring nand when changing between high seas/homebrew switch and legit switch it works out pretty well. Probably worth forking out for a second memory card for convenience though as they are pretty reasonably priced now for 128gb or less, can easily be repurposed for another device if you decide and save some screwing around waiting for sd transfer.
So when I get my SX PRO and Jig in the mail, before actually running that, I use the jig to load hekate first and dump? Is there something specific to choose when running hekate, option wise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr