Latest Retroarch

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by urherenow, Oct 3, 2018.

1. urherenow
    OP

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    Looks like a thread wasn't made here yet...? I installed the CIA on an N3DS and the thing crashes when trying to scan a rom.

2. StuntHacks

StuntHacks Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    Austria
    Vienna
    "It crashes" - How does it crash?

3. romanov82

romanov82 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2018
    Italy
    Using the 3dsx version it freeze the system (at launch, before showing the user interface, top screen). At this point it become difficult also to shutdown the console (long pressing power button). It happen with both launching main executable and directly launching a core executable. Sometimes removing the configuration file, it manage to show the interface and I can change options and its type to rgui. But at next starts, same problem. Over many try I succeded only one time to start gambatte core with a game.

Retroarch 1.7.5 (3dsx)
    New Nintendo 2ds xl (Luma 11.8)
    Micro sd card 128 GB (samsung evo)

4. romanov82

romanov82 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2018
    Italy
    After removing the .smdh file in the directory of Retroarch main executable, it started. Then after some try it freezed the system. It is very unreliable

Last edited by romanov82, Oct 3, 2018
  5. romanov82

romanov82 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2018
    Italy
    Installed the CIA version. Same problem. It freeze the system, in this case without showing anything on both the screens. Only thing that I can do is to shutdown the console (also the poweroff button is unresponsive and I have to do many try)

6. JLsoft

JLsoft The Joystick Lunatic

Newcomer
    May 10, 2006
    United States
    Yeah, same here...tried both stable 1.7.5 and a couple recent Nightlies... .CIA version. Every core will freeze the system while they're loading, right after 'No profiles found' is scrolled in the log, requiring a long Power button poweroff. The few times it -does- finally make it to the RA menu, loading a ROM will make it crash to Luma's stack dump screen.

This is both with a previously working retroarch.cfg and nothing at all. :(

7. JLsoft

JLsoft The Joystick Lunatic

Newcomer
    May 10, 2006
    United States
    Well I found a tedious workaround that works for me like 99% of the time:

- Run an RA core, and as soon as the first 2 [INFO] debug lines come up on the bottom screen (the 2nd one says about it loading the retroarch config), enter the rosalina menu in Luma (D-Pad Down + L + Select), and then go to the New 3DS options at the top and disable the L2 Cache -and- lower the clock speed.

- It will then get to the normal RetroArch menu. Then, when loading a rom and picking the core, it will -re-run- the chosen core, so again, D-Pad Down + L _ Select at the first 2 [INFO] debug lines...and wait for it to load the rom/etc, and then once it's actually in-game, you can enter the rosalina menu again and re-enable the L2 cache and bump the CPU speed back up.

...now if I could find out how to get mame2003-plus working. It's marked 'experimental', but so far it keeps loading up the core for 2048 after I select a rom+core :/

8. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    That's because RetroArch on 3DS is shit and broken since a long time and nobody seems to care to fix it.

Savior-X and Lordjontan like this.
  9. Rj.MoG

Rj.MoG GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2015
    United States
    It's also simultaneously super optimized and PCSX-R wouldn't run any better AT ALL if a hardware render was implemented according to many members here.