1. WilliamDougherty

Newcomer

United States
    I saw a movie called "Ordet" yesterday. This is a 1955 Danish drama film, directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer. It is based on a play by Kaj Munk, a Danish Lutheran priest, first performed in 1932.

[​IMG]

Last edited by WilliamDougherty, Jun 24, 2020
    alexander1970 and JuanMena like this.
  2. JuanMena

OP JuanMena GBAtemp 90's Fan

Mexico
    Rescatando al Soldado Ryan
    [​IMG]

An American Squad has to rescue one soldier from a sure encounter with dead.
    This movie represents accurately all the gruesome parts of war.
    This is the first time, in my life that I've actually felt empathy towards american patriotism.
    Left me with a knot on my throat.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

A L I E N
    [​IMG]

Scy-Fi movie about a reduced crew of humans (and a cat) in the middle of space dealing with an extremely lethal extra-terrestrial life-form.
    Certainly isn't as good as I remember? :unsure:
    I wonder why that is.

Well, if you were telling me, Blues Brothers is actually one of my favourites movies ever. Kidding you not!
    The last time I saw it was... maybe 5 years ago on Cable TV.
    I remember that Netfilx had the Blues Brothers on it's movies list, but it disappeared some days later when I found out about this little secret. :mellow:
    And... I posted the video because it's literally a movie and it was literally my last seen movie at the time being, I mean... it's a 9 minute movie.

I like Jazz, and Cab Calloway is one of my favourite Jazz singers. Oddly enough, I thought that he sang blues instead :lol:
    Perhaps is the way he sings, which if I recall correctly is the Scat Jazz "sub-genre" and I'm more used to Frank Sinatra Jazz or "Nu-Jazz"

Last edited by JuanMena, Jul 2, 2020
    alexander1970 likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    So I thought I would return to watching films. Could have watched a classic I had not seen, one I had not seen in a while, something I could reasonable expect to be good, some 70s or 80s cheese... but no I decided to go with the patented click randomly on the generally trashy films channel and went from there.

The Last Days of American Crime
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1552211/

If the HBO logo at one point meant something was most likely going to be good then the Netflix logo is probably the opposite.
    Anyway above I mentioned that I could have watched some 80s cheese instead, and actually I might as well have. If someone made a cheesy nonsense 80s film today this would be it, except this lacked any of the charm of such a thing. It also purported to be a heist film (something I am a fan of in general) but... just no -- no clever double crosses, no nice plan, no real prep for the plan, maybe some minor interference from other criminal elements they pissed off. I am going to spoil it.
    Plot holes.
    Despite what people think I am not here to write essays so I will have to skip that one. Suffice it to say there was the core of an idea here but the execution was abysmal.
    General idea is America has become a shithole and to remedy it the government has a secret mind weapon that makes people (even sociopaths) freeze up should they "attempt to commit something they know to be a crime". This is set to go live across the nation (which is locked in -- they will shoot you should you try to leave for Canada).
    Set against this backdrop is a former bankrobber who lost his crew is approached by some other criminals to do quite literally one last job.
    So far so good and there are a few nice shots, sets and lines of dialogue somewhere in there, a vague attempt at characterisation, some half decent actors involved and... nope back to plot holes.
    The premise of a nationwide mind control device is a great one. Loads of things to explore there -- sociopaths were already mentioned, mentally ill people, Demolition man has a famous scene similar to this (as does robocop as does most things that try this), what is self defence?, philosophical angles (paid the most minor lip service to), legal angles, quite how a signal gets inside a concrete bunker (or what is Faraday cage) is completely ignored, what if someone is raised outside the bounds of society (already a fair few of those), lying is a skill many can learn so what goes if you delude yourself here like the best liars will, you can get a chip under your ear to avoid the signal and apparently there are some master hackers...
    I am bored now so so back to the film
    Apparently operational security is not a thing (no codewords, keycards and no pass codes to super secure buildings, the dad's seeming bunker is just some heavy wooden doors mainly for the sake of the plot), nobody practices fallover engineering, nobody has ever planned any kind of security in their life, and the final scene... they burst through in a what I presume to be armoured truck (they have an armoured van earlier in the film) to make it to Canada, the preventing force have machine guns but rely mostly on a few concrete barriers for about 50 metres on both sides of this bridge, oh and once in Canada it takes the police there ages to catch up.

Supposedly it is based on a comic book so I am curious to see what goes for that one. Make it a comic book (or graphic novel if you prefer that term) though is just a checklist item for things nowadays -- if your comic takes off you have a better chance of making a film so every half arsed screenplay gets one it seems. That said I have seen abysmal takes on comic books before (see Tank Girl in an earlier one of these) so I will keep an open mind.

The thing is 2h 28min long and actually I would cut that and get an editor in. You could probably tighten it up to get something actually workable out of this.

If you want some throwback cheese then once again I think I am going to recommend Give Em Hell Mallone. If you want a heist film then pretty much any other one ever made.

There is a slim chance this lives on as something almost along the lines of a so bad it is good film but even then I don't favour its odds.

4. alexander1970

alexander1970 I'm totally a bot!

Austria
  5. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    813P-3V61hL._SL1500_.jpg

Archaeologist Scarlett Marlowe (The amazing Perdita Weeks) has devoted her whole life to finding one of history's greatest treasures: Flamel's Philosopher's Stone. According to legend, the artifact can grant eternal life and turn any metal into gold. When she learns that the stone is hidden underground in the Catacombs of Paris, she assembles a crew to guide and document her historic mission. As they begin their descent, the team-members have no way of knowing that they are entering their own personal hell.

A rather good movie in my opinion. Had the same sort of vibe as Eternal Darkness

Last edited by AmandaRose, Jun 27, 2020
    JuanMena and alexander1970 like this.
  6. Supernova89

Supernova89 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    How much would you rate it out of ten? Watched any film that is similar to it? Thanks

AmandaRose likes this.
  7. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    8 out of 10 I don't really watch horror films to be honest so can't compare it to anything I only watched it because Perdita Weeks is in it.

Last edited by AmandaRose, Jun 29, 2020
    alexander1970 and Supernova89 like this.
  8. Supernova89

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Thanks, will definitely check this out, cheers

9. alexander1970

Austria
    AmandaRose likes this.
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I saw Sonic the Hedgehog a couple days ago. It was good. Had a bit of that same magic that Detective Pikachu had for me, just a bit. I'm not really a Sonic fan, but I am a big fan of anything that brings fantasy into the real world. Also a huge Jim Carrey fan and he did great.

11. Supernova89

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Definitely a pleasent suprise, it's good they re-did the sonic animation, did you see the first abomination?

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Sorry to Bother You (2018)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5688932/

Guy takes on a job in a call centre/telephone sales and works his way up to being a "power seller", though at the cost of many of his principles. Quite a bizarre and surrealist twist as well.

Personally I reckon the director saw Chi-Raq and thought they would have a go. It is shot very similarly, which is to say shot like many shoot a play (be it Shakespeare or ancient Greek), and it is not a style I have a great fondness for -- done well it works and done poorly it still works but will never be great.

Can't say I enjoyed it as a whole, though it was lovely to see Danny Glover again (looking at IMDB he mostly seems to be in low budget trash these days). It might well have tried to be a message film but I am not sure if it is telesales bad, don't sacrifice principles/identity for money, unbridled capitalism bad, possibly some kind of metaphor for debt, unions good or what with the lack of cohesion there also carrying along to the story and character development (hard with surrealist stuff but undercooked even then).

13. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Ningyo Densetsu (1984) aka. Mermaid Legend
    [​IMG]
    An early film from Toshiharu Ikeda (who went on to make the cult classic Shiryô no wana, aka Evil Dead Trap) that almost defies catagorization.
    Ignoring the melodrama, comedy, giallo and pinku tones throughout, at it's core it's a revenge film that is often compared to the much later South Korean film, Lady Vengeance.
    Definitely worth a watch, if only for it's over the top blood bath climax.

14. alexander1970

Austria
    AmandaRose likes this.
  15. alexander1970

Austria
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    The Old Guard (2020)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7556122/

Once more I had the choice of watching some 70s exploitation film or something new from netflix and I somehow ended up randomly selecting the netflix offering despite them rarely impressing and very much enjoying cheese.
    Really long film actually, don't know if it was a cut down TV series effort or what.
    Anyway general premise is a bunch of people that take damage but regenerate fast (though might eventually stop having the ability) have been around for centuries making the world a better place. They however are then brought to the attention of a big pharma company (and to be fair he who offers immortality is easily the first multi trillionaire).
    End result. Entertaining enough if you don't think about it, which is more than I had to say about the last one. If you do then potentially millennia long warriors are good but nowhere near what I would expect. Barely any intel, barely any surveillance, no armour, bunch up like grapes, lean way too heavily into their regen abilities, their hideouts are shockingly poor (I don't live in a fortress but could do better with the stuff I have to hand right now in about 30 minutes, never mind if it is a proper hideout), their enemies despite knowing their abilities and having enough resources to account for it don't play to it...

It is a premise that has been done before on several occasions. Highlander being among the more notable but it is probably closer to the TV series Painkiller Jane from a few years back that I actually quite liked and explored things in more depth there (though that is only the one "immortal" and a team with her). Broadening it a bit then any kind of I R cyborg robot and hardnut type film/anime/whatever, or possibly even I R good vampire probably scratching much the same itch.

If you want a non ageing film that is light on the action thing then go with The Age of Adaline, or going more fitting with the "we like old films" thing that seems to be a thing in this thread then Brigadoon if you can stand musicals.

Short version. Not the worst thing I have seen but script could have been far tighter, action should have been far better, concepts could have been explored more and many plot holes. Apparently based on a comic so I am slightly curious as to what goes here.

17. CrazyRat

CrazyRat Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    The Witcher

18. alexander1970

Austria
    The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1959/1962)

220px-Brainthatwouldntdie_film_poster.jpg
    A Horror/Science Fiction Movie completed in 1959 under the working Title "The Black Door".
    Released May 3, 1962
    The man Plot is about a mad Doctor who develops a means to keep human body parts alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brain_That_Wouldn't_Die

AmandaRose likes this.
  19. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Lilya 4-Ever 2002
    [​IMG]

Bleak, unflinching portrayal of the plight of a young girl 'somewhere' in a former USSR state whose misfortune leads to her being sex-trafficked to Sweden. Extremeley compelling viewing, never explicit or exploitative, yet it packs a series of mighty gut punches throughout that only the most heartless could shrug off and it's all the more harrowing for it. This one will stay with me for a while.

20. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Netherlands
    Color out of space, great movie!

duwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Movie,