Hardware Laptop Wifi Question

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently upgraded my internet speed with my ISP, but the tech guy said my wireless is not able to pick up 5G. Is there anything I can do? My laptop is a Sager NP9377 and it has realtek rtl8723ae wireless lan 802.11n pci-e nic. Thoughts/help GREATLY appreciated
smile.png

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You can try upgrading your wireless card, which is generally easy for most laptops. However, I've never seen Sager laptops myself so I dunno if the wireless card will be easily accessible or not.

You can always get a USB wifi adapter, they're pretty cheap nowadays so you should be able to easily find one. Dual band support might be a bit more expensive, but meh.

Also, 5GHz =/= always faster speeds, it depends more on the standard your wifi adapter uses. 802.11ac > the 802.11n your laptop uses, so if you do go for an upgrade, make sure it's using 802.11ac. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Intel-3160-HMWG-R-Wireless-Bluetooth-Supports/dp/B00MY9EVHI/ should work (but again, I would suggest opening up the laptop first to make sure the wifi card is easily accessible and changeable).

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I upgraded to 100Mbps, but only getting 50mbps. Is 50Mbps still decent/good? Should I upgrade wifi card if possible, or would the USB adapter do the job? I want to be able to use the 100Mbps since that is the speed I am paying for...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I mean, 50mbps isn't necessarily bad, but you should be getting the full 100mbps with the wifi card you have now, I assumed you had faster internet than that. :unsure:

How far away from the router are you? Do you have any devices connected via ethernet to test to see if you're getting the full 100mbps over wired? Try connecting the laptop itself via ethernet, just to see if you're actually getting 100mbps.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Your card theoretically supports 300mbps, if you're not getting at least the 100mbps (or higher) there's some issue elsewhere. This can be related to distance, interference, the number of people connected to your network, the router is poor quality etc.

If it is interference, then upgrading to 5GHz would definitely fix the problem. I assume this is what the tech might have been referring to.

Also, do note that while you might be paying for 100mbps, your ISP might not be giving you that speed. Pretty much all ISPs have a statement in their contract stating that the advertised speeds are only the maximum of what your plan supports, it doesn't mean you're guaranteed to consistently receive that speed. This is why I suggested doing a test with a direct connection to the router, if you get the 100mbps that way, then we know it's simply a problem with the wifi signal.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looked up your rtl8723ae Card
its complete trash people porting only getting like 45mb/s MAX speeds from it so yeah try wired speedtest

where did you get the laptop from that realktek card shouldnt even be an option with that model.

they mostly came with an intel 7260 as standard

Last edited by izy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents