1. RevPokemon

OP RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

United States
    Ok my dad said I can only spend less than 200 bucks on a laptop and was wondering if this is decent

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-refu...6008059&skuId=1306008059#spoke/specifications

I know I can't get a lot for the money but its this or a stream :(

My dad said I can't save up since he doesn't want me too wait since he will be going to surgery soon and wants to know I have one.

Will this one work for editing docs and web browsing fairly well? I plan on adding ram to 8ddr3 and use Ubuntu or another Linux distribution.

But really is an old i5 really OK or should I get a chrome book?

Last edited by RevPokemon, Jan 3, 2016
  2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

For editing docs and web browsing, it's more than enough. My dad uses one very similar in specs to run his chess analysis software.

Personally I don't see the need to upgrade the RAM unless you're one of those people who fires up a hundred browser tabs. What you may want to do to make it feel more snappy is upgrade it with a SSD somewhere down the line. 240GB Sandisk SSDs are fairly cheap, and I picked up 3 on Black Friday sales to upgrade a couple laptops and a desktop.

Also, since it only comes with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, you may want to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro 32-bit, then clean reinstall Windows 10 to get Pro 64-bit. That way you get the most out of the available RAM.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. RevPokemon

OP RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

United States
    Y
    Thanks for the opinion!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Laptop, under,