laptop messed up

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by ganons, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ganons
    OP

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    My cousins dell inspirion 1545 don't work, its says boot normal or repair and when I try either it loops to the same menu. Its windows 7. Can't recover the files or boot into os

2. kirbymaster101

kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 21, 2008
    Canada
    Format and reinstall widnwos? That's what I would do..

3. m3rox

m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 13, 2006
    United States
    WA
    There is no option for 'startup repair'?

4. ganons
    OP

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    There is and when I do that it, it freezes on a black screen

5. kevan

kevan Imagination rules the world

Dec 4, 2009
    Place
    Same.

6. Jasper07

Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Parallel universe
    I would get the hdd out and put it in a desktop, then back up all of my files, format the disk, download windows 8 beta and install it, put the hdd back in the laptop and we're all done.

7. kevan

kevan Imagination rules the world

Dec 4, 2009
    Place
    0_o

But it's a dev build...

8. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    QFT except for the win 8 bit. It's a developer preview. Install Win 7 instead especially seeing as you probably have a legitimate key for it. Of course installing windows with the hdd in the laptop [​IMG].

Btw you could try: insert the windows DVD and boot from it. Then it a repair windows option somewhere in the installer. See if that can find the problem for you. Some times, it actually does.

9. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I'd try doing startup repair from an install DVD before doing anything as drastic as reinstalling Windows.

10. ganons
    OP

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Formatting and reinstalling windows is the last option I waana do as I want salvage any files that he wants

I dont wanna pop the drive in another laptop as it might screw up the other, migh be bad virus?

Well the thing my cousin is not good with compters and he got it as a gift so not sure which version of windows it but I think this is a good idea.

11. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I suggest a live CD of Linux. It will help you recover your files in case you can't fix your computer without formatting. You can look at some here:
    http://distrowatch.com/

12. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    This is a good and a bad advice. It really depends on what you want. Windows 8 is kind of a a sucessor to windows xp. If you really like windows 7, win 7 is a better choice. And as far as win 8 being a dev build, its as stable as xp can be i think(at least more stable than vista hahaha).

13. ganons
    OP

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Well I tried to repair with 64bit edition it said incorrect so I took the hdd out and loaded up via usb and it showed the hdd as 48gb total when it says 320gb :wtf:

Anyway I thought Id do a fresh install and now it hangs everytime in the windows splash!!!!

14. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    48GB? Sounds like the HDD has died/is on it's last legs. Get a new one and try again.

15. ganons
    OP

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Well the hdd at this point is not important I guess but I can't even do a fresh install