Laptop Keyboard Flex

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Raiser, Jan 25, 2012.

Jan 25, 2012

Laptop Keyboard Flex by Raiser at 12:34 PM (2,861 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Raiser
    OP

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Howdy!

Recently got me a new ASUS laptop (N53SV, don't remember the exact model). It does have some "keyboard flex" where pressing keys on certain parts of the keyboard gives a "flex" sensation to surrounding keys.
    For example, if I were to push down the "K" key on my keyboard, I, J, L, and other surrounding keys would dip down very, very slightly.

This does not happen with the entire left side of the keyboard. It's most noticeable around the L and mid ENTER keys. It's less noticeable, but still present on the right side with the numpad.

Here is a video I found demonstrating my point:
    ASUS N53 Keyboard Flex

I've read from many comments that ASUS is doing this intentionally to make the laptop more ergonomic, but other comments I've read disagree.

Can anyone confirm this? Or is it a defect with the laptop? (I personally don't mind it if it was meant to be, but I am rather nit-picky about purchasing & owning defective products.)

Thanks!

EDIT: From what I remember, mine didn't flex nearly as much as the above video poster's, but it was still noticeable.

2. Wiip™

Member Wiip™ Worth a penny.

United Kingdom
    Mine (toshiba satellite l500D-11J) has some too.
    It could take a while learning to type with it (it was for me), just make sure you don't press the keys to hard.

3. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Many notebooks have this, it's price saving on 'quality'. My 2 F3S series (asus) laptops both have this problem, most Acer laptop's I have handled have this; this is normal. If you don't like it, you have to buy a different laptop and look out for it ;).

4. Raiser
    OP

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Thanks for the replies!

@[member='Scorpei']:
    Thanks for the info. Glad to know it's "intentional" and not some sort of defect only select laptops have.
    I would prefer no flex at all, but the amount mine has is just fine.