Gaming laptop is going very slow for some reason

thehatergator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://downloadmoreram.com/
For real though, check task manager and see what's slowing it down? Delete shit you don't use, check if you're in power saving mode, maybe run one of those "clean windows 10" programs, will probably speed it up a little.
is their a reason why firefox is taking so much memory also what program do you recommend to clean w10

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
it says 8.00 gb in system and also says 915 gb wth
8GB of ram is fine. my pc in idle with gbatemp open just uses 2.5
you might want to check what is clogging ya, like apps running in the background, if you downloaded something recently that might come with a virus or something
check if your laptop fan makes noise, i had some laptops which the fan stopped working and people didn't noticed that was the reason that it was so slow lol
Or if it makes too much noise that also can be the issue
check if some app is using the hdd fully, i had an issue after installing windows 10 the thing just uses the hdd 100% after a long time after i turn it on... (i guess windows updates crapping shit)

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is that good is their anyway to improve it?
do this
https://downloadmoreram.com/
For real though, check task manager and see what's slowing it down? Delete shit you don't use, check if you're in power saving mode, maybe run one of those "clean windows 10" programs, will probably speed it up a little.
or this
you might want to check what is clogging ya, like apps running in the background, if you downloaded something recently that might come with a virus or something
check if your laptop fan makes noise, i had some laptops which the fan stopped working and people didn't noticed that was the reason that it was so slow lol
check if some app is using the hdd fully, i had an issue after installing windows 10 the thing just uses the hdd 100% after a long time after i turn it on... (i guess windows updates crapping shit)

thehatergator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omg i think my fan did recently stopped working will i have to fix it by messing around with the wires?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
8GB is totally fine. if you are running low in ram while just browsing the internet, you have something wrong...
even 8GB is good enough for gaming... i have 16 rarely i go over 8GB...

Windows uses free ram for things like disk caching & it also compresses ram if it thinks it needs to.

So having a large amount of free ram can be useful.

It could be cpu or disk that is the problem. I'd look on task managers "performance" tab and if you can't figure out why it's slow from there, then click "Open Resource Monitor" at the bottom.

The tabs in there will let you drill down to what program is using cpu/memory/disk.

I had an issue where a disk sector was bad and the computer would go really slow every time it tried to read the file that was on it. The performance tab was showing 100% disk, but there were no programs showing doing disk activity (I assume it only counts successful accesses, not the computer retrying constantly). I solved that by eventually identifying the bad file and deleting it.

Reactions: Originality

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Four main things

1) Too much junk installed/running. Printers you no longer have, phone helpers for phones you no longer have.... or actual malware of a form. Windows 10 these days does include a reasonable task manager and startup manager. smf's steps are what I would do at first. We can do malware removal in earnest later if it appears to be that.
2) Windows update. Despite them supposedly "fixing" it they really have not, and nowadays they deem it mandatory. Simple solution here is allow it to do the updates and reboot enough times for it to take hold. You might also want to do the same for the browser. If I am being a cowboy then I will do a full power down (hold power button until it turns off) rather than use modern windows "shutdown" that is more like hibernation.
3) Too much dust in the fan/failing thermal paste.
4) Dying hard drive. You can try a SMART reader if you want but it is not a reliable technology.

3 and 4 can happen to new and old machines alike, though older is more common.

Reactions: AlanJohn

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Judging by my personal experience, a slow laptop experience is almost always indicative of one of two things:
  1. Your thermals are too high due to dust clogging in your fan area. Download a program such as HWMonitor and report back with the CPU and GPU (if you have one) temperatures
  2. Your HDD is failing. Usually windows already tells you if there is a SMART error, but mostly when it's too late.
Given your current description of events, I'm positive it's a thermals issue. Try taking apart your laptop if you know how to, and clean it with canned air. If you can't do this properly by yourself, contact a professional.

Last edited by AlanJohn,

thehatergator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judging by my personal experience, a slow laptop experience is almost always indicative of one of two things:
  1. Your thermals are too high due to dust clogging in your fan area. Download a program such as HWMonitor and report back with the CPU and GPU (if you have one) temperatures
  2. Your HDD is failing. Usually windows already tells you if there is a SMART error, but mostly when it's too late.
Given your current description of events, I'm positive it's a thermals issue. Try taking apart your laptop if you know how to, and clean it with canned air. If you can't do this properly by yourself, contact a professional.
i fixed it it was my disk all along i just needed to disable superfetch

Reactions: AlanJohn

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reinstalling the operating system and only reinstalling the programs you need is always a good way to speed things up.
+1 this is the absolute best thing you can do to speed up windows short of buying an ssd/more ram

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night