Laptop Cooler needed?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Jamstruth, Sep 11, 2011.

Sep 11, 2011

Laptop Cooler needed? by Jamstruth at 4:29 PM (507 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    While playing Minecraft for a bit last night my fan started spinning wildly and loudly. I brought up a Temperature monitor and was seeing my Core i5-480M hit 76 degrees (maximum, it varied a bit) under load at a clock of 2.9GHz. This core should be able to go up to 3.2GHz (though obviously won't if this is the temperatures it gets to!)
    I am a bit worried by this since I play Minecraft a lot. Admittedly the laptop has been on all evening which may have something to do with it (though its currently idling around 45 which is its norm)
    ANYWAY! My question is this: Does anybody have any recommendations for coolers to buy for it? Its a 15.6" widescreen Sony Vaio E-Series laptop. Been looking at the bottom of the laptop: The intakes for air are at the bottom left, most of the heat is generated in the area above that (basically where the heatsink is for my CPU and possibly GPU too) and the RAM door is in the centre. my laptop is about 37cm by 25cm
    Ones I am considering
    Microsoft Cooling Base
    Logitech N120 Cooling Pad
    Coolermaster Notepal U2

CoolerMaster seems like it would be the most effective way of cooling my laptop due to movable frame though only for sitting at my desk (likely would only use this while sitting at my desk playing any games). Also I recognise the brand as a proper PC parts manufacturer for cases etc. there's an improved U3 version available which is £25 but not sure about paying the extra £10 for that.
    The other 2 are nicer looking, unibody designs which only have one fan in the centre. Would cool the areas of the case affected but possibly not as good as cooling my actual internal temperatures. Would be nicer for using on my lap etc. though.

What do you think tempers?

2. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Well first of all before getting a cooler , when did you clean it last time? If a laptop don't get cleaned for a long time it star accumulating lots of dust that prevent the fan from fully cooling the laptop. If you are experienced in this sort of stuff & your laptop is already out of warranty then open it up and clean it.

When I cleaned my laptop last month its max temp went down from over 80 degrees to around 70 , so just give it a try and see how much it improves & if you still want to get a cooler the just don't get the Logitech it looks like a waste of money from its reviews.

3. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    The laptop is only a few months old. I doubt its collected a lot of meaningful dust in its time but will see if I can find a can of compressed air and give it a quick blast in the exhaust pipe. Edit: Dammit the can of compressed air I have is empty. Kinda need to decide tonight as am moving to Uni on Saturday and delivery to University will be a bitch.